New item on BSA training site

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2013
      I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:

      Fundamentals of Training: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.

      Fillable training cards: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU 615012.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Cubmaster, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2013
        Thank you Jamie.

        Wondering when they'd go back to the basics and Train the Trainer.  I always thought it taught trainers what they NEEDED to know

        Sandy OWL

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2013
          Thank you!!!

          Mike Nowak
          Training Chair
          Shabbona District
          Three Fires Council

          I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:

          Fundamentals of Training: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf%c2%a0 This replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.

          Fillable training cards: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU 615012.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Cubmaster, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2013
            Fundamentals of Training (the new item) is listed as the first part of
            the three-part train-the-trainer continuum. Can someone bring me up to
            date on the other two parts of this three part continuum and the order
            they should be taken?

            Judy Yeager
            HOAC

            On 1/2/2013 2:56 PM, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

            > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
            >
            > Fundamentals of Training:
            > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
            > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in
            > the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
            >
            > Fillable training cards:
            > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf
            > This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
            > 615012.
            >
            > Jamie Niss Dunn
            > Cubmaster, Pack 512
            > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            > Troop Committee, Troop 509
            > Ham Lake, MN
            > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            > Three Rivers District

          • Bill Lovell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2013
              Judy,

              The whole 3 part continuum is explained very well on page 3 of the "Fundamentals of Training" syllabus. It reads:

              This first part of the T3 continuum, The Fundamentals of Training, is designed to help Scouters,
              regardless of their experience, present effective training. The course will also help those who
              might have trained for other organizations learn the BSA’s training techniques. And, it will help
              freshen up the skills of current BSA trainers.

              Upon completion of The Fundamentals of Training, new trainers will be able to apply the
              techniques they have learned across the BSA’s leadership development programs, from unitlevel
              youth leader training taught by youth for youth, to position‐specific and supplemental
              training for adult leaders. Upon completion of this first part, new trainers are coached and
              mentored by experienced trainers as they become comfortable with and confident in their
              training skills.

              Trainer’s EDGE is the second part of the continuum. As trainers develop their training skills,
              Trainer’s EDGE provides an additional opportunity for trainers to enhance their abilities.
              Trainer’s EDGE also supplements the training development sessions offered during faculty
              development for advanced leadership training courses and increased familiarity with the EDGE
              model that is used throughout the training.

              The third part of the continuum will be the Master Trainer course taught at one of the BSA’s
              national volunteer training centers or at the regional level. The Master Trainer course does not
              create a designation for the participants; it teaches the skills and techniques used to address
              council and district training objectives. Using the analyze‐plan‐manage‐evaluate process,
              participants are ideally suited to create and implement training improvement plans that
              achieve Journey to Excellence goals.

              Crabby Bill
              GTC - Akron

              To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
              From: kcjscout@...
              Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 02:48:59 -0600
              Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] New item on BSA training site

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
                Jamie,
                I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........

                These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.

                I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........

                Connie

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
                  <<These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults?>>

                  Yes - anyone who trains others. So, youth who are staffing NYLT; adult trainers on the district training teams; SMs and ASMs who conduct ILST are all potential learners at the new Fundamental of Training.

                  The NYLT staff, both youth and adults, Wood Badge staff and others interested would then take Trainer's EDGE.

                  The third level, the Master Trainer course is for district or council level volunteers charged with administering training.

                  << Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level?>>

                  Yes, these are district or council level courses. Fundamentals of Training replaces the old Trainer Development Conference, which in my very large council was always run as a council level course, not because a district couldn't do it, but because it usually took running it on the council level to get a big enough group to make the course workable.

                  << I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.>>

                  No - I couldn't see a unit running these. Many councils may not even have this on their radar yet. I brought it up to our council training committee, and they had not yet thought about offering it.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                    Connie,

                    I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

                    Bill

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Connie Knie wrote:

                    > Jamie,
                    > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
                    >
                    > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send if they can't use it.
                    >
                    > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
                    >
                    > Connie
                    >
                    > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:
                    >

                    > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
                    >
                    > Fundamentals of Training: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
                    >
                    > Fillable training cards: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdf This is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU 615012.

                  • Joseph Jansen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                      You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
                      overview document that explains available trainings and their
                      interrelationships.

                      Joe Jansen
                      On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" <cknie23100@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Jamie,
                      > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
                      > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
                      >
                      > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
                      > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
                      > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
                      > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
                      > if they can't use it.
                      >
                      > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
                      >
                      > Connie
                      >
                      > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
                      >
                      > Fundamentals of Training:
                      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
                      > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
                      > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
                      >
                      > Fillable training cards:
                      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
                      > 615012.

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                        see:
                        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:

                        > You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be an
                        > overview document that explains available trainings and their
                        > interrelationships.
                        >
                        > Joe Jansen
                        > On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Jamie,
                        > > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that has
                        > > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
                        > >
                        > > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
                        > > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
                        > > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner and am
                        > > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to send
                        > > if they can't use it.
                        > >
                        > > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over load...........
                        > >
                        > > Connie
                        > >
                        > > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a while:
                        > >
                        > > Fundamentals of Training:
                        > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
                        > > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in the
                        > > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
                        > >
                        > > Fillable training cards:
                        > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThis is the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
                        > > 615012.

                      • Joseph Jansen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                          Bill,

                          That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
                          more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
                          on what is covered in each course.

                          Joe

                          On Saturday, January 12, 2013, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                          > see:
                          > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-028_WEB.pdf
                          >
                          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Jansen wrote:
                          >>
                          >> You're not the only one. It would be a really good idea for there to be
                          an
                          >> overview document that explains available trainings and their
                          >> interrelationships.
                          >>
                          >> Joe Jansen
                          >> On Jan 11, 2013 5:36 PM, "Connie Knie" wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > **
                          >> >

                          >> > Jamie,
                          >> > I must admit to being totally confused about all of the training that
                          has
                          >> > changed or been tweaked or who is supposed to take what..........
                          >> >
                          >> > These links you gave (thanks by the way) are for youth and adults? Are
                          >> > they meant to be taught on a council and district level? I mean these
                          >> > aren't for the unit level right? I am the Boy Scout RT Commissioner
                          and am
                          >> > always looking to send the newest info to my leaders but don't want to
                          send
                          >> > if they can't use it.
                          >> >
                          >> > I truly love this list but sometimes I am just on info over
                          load...........

                          >> > Connie
                          >> >
                          >> > --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Jamie Niss Dunn JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > I just noticed these today, although they may have been there for a
                          while:

                          >> > Fundamentals of Training:
                          >> > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-037WB.pdf This
                          >> > replaced the Trainer Development Conference and is the first course in
                          the
                          >> > Tcubed train the trainer continuum.
                          >> >
                          >> > Fillable training cards:

                          http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/FillableTrainingCards.pdfThisis
                          the template for filling out the new pocket training card SKU
                          >> > 615012.

                        • Jamie Niss Dunn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                            **That document is helpful but would be more so if it described courses in
                            more detail. Perhaps one needs to go to other documents to get abstracts
                            on what is covered in each course.**

                            I think the specific course descriptions were omitted purposely, so that as courses change, the book wouldn't have to be revised each time.

                            The summaries on the training page: http://www.scouting.org/training/adult.aspx are probably as complete descriptions as exist.

                            (For some reason, my quotes of other people's posts aren't alway showing. I changed how I notated the quote. I hope it works)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                              Hi Bill,
                              Yes I agree. That is why I was asking if this was something that is only offered at the District or Council level. Which really seems like a no brainer in retrospect............

                              Connie

                              --- On Sat, 1/12/13, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                              Connie,

                              I wouldn't tell people at Roundtable about this course until your counsel actually offers it.

                              Bill

                            • Mark Ellis
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 12, 2013
                                Interesting point...did a word search for "district" or "council" on the
                                document, and didn't find either word so I think those BSA Training folks
                                are leaving it up to the field. I could see an SM using some of this
                                syllabus to train Jr Asst SMs or Troop Instructors on how to improve their
                                training techniques.

                                That being said, my council leadership training committee will be talking
                                about this next week.

                                YiS

                                Mark Ellis
                                Aquia District