Re: Keeping Training Records Updated

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

      > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
      interactions for my council. The draft is here:
      > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
      >
      > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

      Something to consider:

      I periodically go to the local Council Service Center and use one of
      their computers to log into ScoutNET to validate Youth Protection
      Training (YPT) before they are allowed to be added to the district merit
      badge counselor list. Sometimes I will find they have not completed YPT
      but yet they insist they have completed YPT. Sometimes the same person
      has more than one ScoutNET profile so their YPT may not be shown in all
      of their ScoutNET profiles.

      So how does this happen?

      If they turn in paperwork with even the slightest difference in names,
      they may end up with more than one member profile. For example, William
      is not the same as Bill which is not the same as Billie or Billy.

      Not sure how to address this, but I think you should mention something
      about ensuring you use the exact same first AND last name (as the name
      already in ScoutNET) when submitting any paperwork to eliminate multiple
      member profiles.

      Paul Y
      District Advancement and Recognition Chair
      Thunderbird District
      Inland Northwest Council
      Spokane WA
      "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

        > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
        interactions for my council. The draft is here:
        > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
        >
        > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

        Two other things I would do:

        1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
        would know which version is the most current.
        2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
        anyone will know they have the entire document.

        I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.

        Thanks,

        Paul Y
        District Advancement and Recognition Chair
        Thunderbird District
        Inland Northwest Council
        Spokane WA
        "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
          Thanks
          Made the changes

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulp575@...> wrote:

          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:
          > >
          > > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
          > interactions for my council. The draft is here:
          > > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
          > >
          > > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions
          >
          > Two other things I would do:
          >
          > 1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
          > would know which version is the most current.
          > 2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
          > anyone will know they have the entire document.
          >
          > I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Paul Y
          > District Advancement and Recognition Chair
          > Thunderbird District
          > Inland Northwest Council
          > Spokane WA
          > "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

            > Thanks
            > Made the changes

            Awesome - looking good.

            One of the other things you may want to check is which MyScouting.org
            you are referring to.

            There are now two totally different one:

            1. www.myscouting.org - the old one
            2. www.my.scouting.org (notice the period between My and scouting) - the
            new one.

            If I'm reading the information correctly, my.scouting.org (the new one)
            will some day will totally replace the myscouting.org (the old one).

            You may want to go through your document and verify each reference to
            ensure you are referring to the correct one.