Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Keeping Training Records Updated

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
      Go to http://www.scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates.aspx

      On the right hand side is Quick Links
      Select "What Makes A Trained Leader"

      on the lower right hand side it states
      *  E-Learning page at www.myscouting.org

      "Chartered Organization Representatives
       take This Is Scouting*, and Chartered
       Organization  Representative  Training"

      This flier is dated 3/15/2012

      Yours In Scouting
      Michael A. Crothers|Area 6 Training Chair

      BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
      Central
      Region, Area 6
      1235 Torrence Dr.
      Springfield, OH
      45503
      Cell (937)
      360-1903

      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
        Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
        http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
        right).

        It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.

        However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
        My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
        Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
        trained in ScoutNET.

        YiS

        Mark Ellis
        Leadership Training Chair
        Aquia District
        National Capital Area Council
        (703) 376-4150

        -------------------------------

        No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my
        understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of
        ScoutNET.

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

        > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
        >
        > Yours In Scouting
        >

        > Mike Crothers

        > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Mark Ellis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
          Bill, this is a wonderful tool. I think the National BSA folks should
          "borrow" your ideas and put out something similar that is not
          council-specific but still gives a great overview of how ScoutNET and
          myscouting.org really works.

          ---------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
            Thank you for the correction. I updated the guide

            Bill

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ellis" <mark.ellis21@...> wrote:

            > Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
            > http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
            > right).
            >
            > It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.
            >
            > However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
            > My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
            > Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
            > trained in ScoutNET.
            >
            > YiS
            >
            > Mark Ellis
            > Leadership Training Chair
            > Aquia District
            > National Capital Area Council
            > (703) 376-4150
            >
            > -------------------------------

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

              > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
              interactions for my council. The draft is here:
              > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
              >
              > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

              Something to consider:

              I periodically go to the local Council Service Center and use one of
              their computers to log into ScoutNET to validate Youth Protection
              Training (YPT) before they are allowed to be added to the district merit
              badge counselor list. Sometimes I will find they have not completed YPT
              but yet they insist they have completed YPT. Sometimes the same person
              has more than one ScoutNET profile so their YPT may not be shown in all
              of their ScoutNET profiles.

              So how does this happen?

              If they turn in paperwork with even the slightest difference in names,
              they may end up with more than one member profile. For example, William
              is not the same as Bill which is not the same as Billie or Billy.

              Not sure how to address this, but I think you should mention something
              about ensuring you use the exact same first AND last name (as the name
              already in ScoutNET) when submitting any paperwork to eliminate multiple
              member profiles.

              Paul Y
              District Advancement and Recognition Chair
              Thunderbird District
              Inland Northwest Council
              Spokane WA
              "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

                > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                >
                > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

                Two other things I would do:

                1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                would know which version is the most current.
                2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                anyone will know they have the entire document.

                I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                  Thanks
                  Made the changes

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulp575@...> wrote:

                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                  > interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                  > > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                  > >
                  > > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions
                  >
                  > Two other things I would do:
                  >
                  > 1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                  > would know which version is the most current.
                  > 2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                  > anyone will know they have the entire document.
                  >
                  > I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Paul Y
                  > District Advancement and Recognition Chair
                  > Thunderbird District
                  > Inland Northwest Council
                  > Spokane WA
                  > "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

                    > Thanks
                    > Made the changes

                    Awesome - looking good.

                    One of the other things you may want to check is which MyScouting.org
                    you are referring to.

                    There are now two totally different one:

                    1. www.myscouting.org - the old one
                    2. www.my.scouting.org (notice the period between My and scouting) - the
                    new one.

                    If I'm reading the information correctly, my.scouting.org (the new one)
                    will some day will totally replace the myscouting.org (the old one).

                    You may want to go through your document and verify each reference to
                    ensure you are referring to the correct one.