Re: Keeping Training Records Updated

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
      No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of ScoutNET.

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

      > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
      >
      > Yours In Scouting
      >

      > Mike Crothers

      > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Michael Crothers
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
        Go to http://www.scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates.aspx

        On the right hand side is Quick Links
        Select "What Makes A Trained Leader"

        on the lower right hand side it states
        *  E-Learning page at www.myscouting.org

        "Chartered Organization Representatives
         take This Is Scouting*, and Chartered
         Organization  Representative  Training"

        This flier is dated 3/15/2012

        Yours In Scouting
        Michael A. Crothers|Area 6 Training Chair

        BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
        Central
        Region, Area 6
        1235 Torrence Dr.
        Springfield, OH
        45503
        Cell (937)
        360-1903

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

        ________________________________
        No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of ScoutNET.

        Bill

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

        > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
        >
        > Yours In Scouting
        >

        > Mike Crothers

        > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Mark Ellis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
          Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
          http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
          right).

          It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.

          However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
          My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
          Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
          trained in ScoutNET.

          YiS

          Mark Ellis
          Leadership Training Chair
          Aquia District
          National Capital Area Council
          (703) 376-4150

          -------------------------------

          No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my
          understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of
          ScoutNET.

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

          > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
          >
          > Yours In Scouting
          >

          > Mike Crothers

          > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Mark Ellis
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
            Bill, this is a wonderful tool. I think the National BSA folks should
            "borrow" your ideas and put out something similar that is not
            council-specific but still gives a great overview of how ScoutNET and
            myscouting.org really works.

            ---------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
              Thank you for the correction. I updated the guide

              Bill

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ellis" <mark.ellis21@...> wrote:

              > Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
              > http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
              > right).
              >
              > It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.
              >
              > However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
              > My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
              > Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
              > trained in ScoutNET.
              >
              > YiS
              >
              > Mark Ellis
              > Leadership Training Chair
              > Aquia District
              > National Capital Area Council
              > (703) 376-4150
              >
              > -------------------------------

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

                > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                >
                > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

                Something to consider:

                I periodically go to the local Council Service Center and use one of
                their computers to log into ScoutNET to validate Youth Protection
                Training (YPT) before they are allowed to be added to the district merit
                badge counselor list. Sometimes I will find they have not completed YPT
                but yet they insist they have completed YPT. Sometimes the same person
                has more than one ScoutNET profile so their YPT may not be shown in all
                of their ScoutNET profiles.

                So how does this happen?

                If they turn in paperwork with even the slightest difference in names,
                they may end up with more than one member profile. For example, William
                is not the same as Bill which is not the same as Billie or Billy.

                Not sure how to address this, but I think you should mention something
                about ensuring you use the exact same first AND last name (as the name
                already in ScoutNET) when submitting any paperwork to eliminate multiple
                member profiles.

                Paul Y
                District Advancement and Recognition Chair
                Thunderbird District
                Inland Northwest Council
                Spokane WA
                "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

                  > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                  interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                  > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                  >
                  > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

                  Two other things I would do:

                  1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                  would know which version is the most current.
                  2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                  anyone will know they have the entire document.

                  I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.

                  Thanks,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                    Thanks
                    Made the changes

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulp575@...> wrote:

                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                    > interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                    > > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                    > >
                    > > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions
                    >
                    > Two other things I would do:
                    >
                    > 1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                    > would know which version is the most current.
                    > 2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                    > anyone will know they have the entire document.
                    >
                    > I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Paul Y
                    > District Advancement and Recognition Chair
                    > Thunderbird District
                    > Inland Northwest Council
                    > Spokane WA
                    > "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

                      > Thanks
                      > Made the changes

                      Awesome - looking good.

                      One of the other things you may want to check is which MyScouting.org
                      you are referring to.

                      There are now two totally different one:

                      1. www.myscouting.org - the old one
                      2. www.my.scouting.org (notice the period between My and scouting) - the
                      new one.

                      If I'm reading the information correctly, my.scouting.org (the new one)
                      will some day will totally replace the myscouting.org (the old one).

                      You may want to go through your document and verify each reference to
                      ensure you are referring to the correct one.