Keeping Training Records Updated

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
      I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these interactions for my council. The draft is here:
      http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf

      Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

      Bill

    • Michael Crothers
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
        Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"

        Yours In Scouting

        Mike Crothers

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
          No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of ScoutNET.

          Bill

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

          > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
          >
          > Yours In Scouting
          >

          > Mike Crothers

          > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Michael Crothers
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
            Go to http://www.scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates.aspx

            On the right hand side is Quick Links
            Select "What Makes A Trained Leader"

            on the lower right hand side it states
            *  E-Learning page at www.myscouting.org

            "Chartered Organization Representatives
             take This Is Scouting*, and Chartered
             Organization  Representative  Training"

            This flier is dated 3/15/2012

            Yours In Scouting
            Michael A. Crothers|Area 6 Training Chair

            BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
            Central
            Region, Area 6
            1235 Torrence Dr.
            Springfield, OH
            45503
            Cell (937)
            360-1903

            and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
            and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

            ________________________________
            No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of ScoutNET.

            Bill

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

            > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
            >
            > Yours In Scouting
            >

            > Mike Crothers

            > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Mark Ellis
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
              Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
              http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
              right).

              It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.

              However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
              My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
              Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
              trained in ScoutNET.

              YiS

              Mark Ellis
              Leadership Training Chair
              Aquia District
              National Capital Area Council
              (703) 376-4150

              -------------------------------

              No one is required to take this is scouting anymore. At least that is my
              understanding and how I read the current requirements coming out of
              ScoutNET.

              Bill

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

              > Cr is also required to take "This Is Scouting"
              >
              > Yours In Scouting
              >

              > Mike Crothers

              > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Mark Ellis
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
                Bill, this is a wonderful tool. I think the National BSA folks should
                "borrow" your ideas and put out something similar that is not
                council-specific but still gives a great overview of how ScoutNET and
                myscouting.org really works.

                ---------------------------------------

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
                  Thank you for the correction. I updated the guide

                  Bill

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Ellis" <mark.ellis21@...> wrote:

                  > Bill, check out the "What Makes a Trained Leader" flyer at
                  > http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx (click on link to the
                  > right).
                  >
                  > It says CORs must still take This Is Scouting.
                  >
                  > However, I do not think the ScoutNET logic has been updated to reflect this.
                  > My experience is if you enter Y01 - Youth Protection Training and D72 -
                  > Training the Chartered Organization Rep, the COR will be shown as fully
                  > trained in ScoutNET.
                  >
                  > YiS
                  >
                  > Mark Ellis
                  > Leadership Training Chair
                  > Aquia District
                  > National Capital Area Council
                  > (703) 376-4150
                  >
                  > -------------------------------

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

                    > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                    interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                    > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                    >
                    > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

                    Something to consider:

                    I periodically go to the local Council Service Center and use one of
                    their computers to log into ScoutNET to validate Youth Protection
                    Training (YPT) before they are allowed to be added to the district merit
                    badge counselor list. Sometimes I will find they have not completed YPT
                    but yet they insist they have completed YPT. Sometimes the same person
                    has more than one ScoutNET profile so their YPT may not be shown in all
                    of their ScoutNET profiles.

                    So how does this happen?

                    If they turn in paperwork with even the slightest difference in names,
                    they may end up with more than one member profile. For example, William
                    is not the same as Bill which is not the same as Billie or Billy.

                    Not sure how to address this, but I think you should mention something
                    about ensuring you use the exact same first AND last name (as the name
                    already in ScoutNET) when submitting any paperwork to eliminate multiple
                    member profiles.

                    Paul Y
                    District Advancement and Recognition Chair
                    Thunderbird District
                    Inland Northwest Council
                    Spokane WA
                    "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:

                      > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                      interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                      > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                      >
                      > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions

                      Two other things I would do:

                      1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                      would know which version is the most current.
                      2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                      anyone will know they have the entire document.

                      I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.

                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                        Thanks
                        Made the changes

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paulp575@...> wrote:

                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nelson" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I am attempting to create a user guide explaining all these
                        > interactions for my council. The draft is here:
                        > > http://bsatroop14.com/training/BSA-Training-Records-Explained.pdf
                        > >
                        > > Please let me know any thoughts/corrections/additions
                        >
                        > Two other things I would do:
                        >
                        > 1. Place a date on each page. That way when there are revisions, one
                        > would know which version is the most current.
                        > 2. Place 'Page n of n pages" on the bottom of the document. That way
                        > anyone will know they have the entire document.
                        >
                        > I do this for all my documents; helps keep order.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Paul Y
                        > District Advancement and Recognition Chair
                        > Thunderbird District
                        > Inland Northwest Council
                        > Spokane WA
                        > "Once a Fox, always a Fox"

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:

                          > Thanks
                          > Made the changes

                          Awesome - looking good.

                          One of the other things you may want to check is which MyScouting.org
                          you are referring to.

                          There are now two totally different one:

                          1. www.myscouting.org - the old one
                          2. www.my.scouting.org (notice the period between My and scouting) - the
                          new one.

                          If I'm reading the information correctly, my.scouting.org (the new one)
                          will some day will totally replace the myscouting.org (the old one).

                          You may want to go through your document and verify each reference to
                          ensure you are referring to the correct one.