Re: [Scouter_T] Percent Trained Figure

  • zacheagle@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
      Marian,

      Trust me, I understand completely and agree with all that you say. It is a difficult quandary and even if unit leaders receive the message, there are too many instances where the message doesn't "trickle down" as it should. I wish that could change, but some people just don't accept what is ultimately their responsibility (entering ID into ScoutNet to fix an underlying flaw in the computer database system). To echo the sentiment that most everyone is thinking� "there has to be a better way!" You're right, if we keep plugging at it, I'm sure we'll figure something out.

      YIS,
      Zach

    • zacheagle@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
        Marian,

        Can you share these directions with the list? Sounds like something that could be beneficial if available to more leaders (this sounds like something you drew up and send out and not Nationally created). If that's the case, it'd be great if they learned about it and began to use it nationwide. :)

        YIS,
        Zach

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:06 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

        > Hi Lisa
        > Cards are sent to the unit leader (CM/SM/NL). They are only sent to the unit leader per National Membership Policy. I know I am a bit behind because of the Join School Night onslaught.
        >
        > In the letter that we send to the unit leader with the cards, the Unit Leader is told to tell the newly registered to go to MyScouting. I even have it on the my directions on how to take YPT.
        >
        > YiS
        > Marian

      • The Little's
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
          Also, It is a good reminder to tell Scouters to keep their training
          cards in a folder like the Scouts to for their Merit Badge cards because
          they can take them into the scout office and get Scoutnet updated with
          the cards. Everything will be in place and in order taken. We tell the
          scouts that their folder is the best record they have of taken the Merit
          Badge shouldn't it be the same for us as leaders?

          How much can a folder full of plastic sleeves cost versus digging for
          records to show you have taken a course. I had to help my husband dig up
          his old cards and it was no fun. The holidays are coming, get the binder
          and sit down while it is snowing and fill the sleeves. Then next time
          someone asks Did you take this course? Show them the binder or copy the
          pages and give it to them.
          Carol Little
          CS Trainer
          BSAC Program Committee member
          and webmaster of
          www.Cubroundtable.com
          Black Swamp Area Council
          NW OH
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
            And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

            Connie

            >Zach,
            >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
            >
            >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
            >
            >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

          • Jon Baake
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
              That's just what we don't need. Everyplace we turn, particularly in training
              we are asking scouters for their BSA ID# and that's where they can find it.
              Of course it is on field sheets too but most leaders never see those. I
              guess an acceptable, maybe better, alternative would be email notification
              from the registrar advising the new leader that the registration is complete
              and his/her BSA ID# is nnnnnnnnnnnn.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                I believe that what they are alluding to is the fact that the new Unit Tools will be the link to all vital information.

                Connie

              • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Hey Connie,
                  Where and from whom did you hear that?

                  Thanks
                  YiS,
                  Marian McQuaid
                  Registrar
                  Boston Minuteman

                  And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                  Connie

                  >Zach,
                  >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                  >
                  >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                  >
                  >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                • Jamie Niss Dunn
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                    Marian,

                    The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                    Jamie Niss Dunn

                    On Dec 3, 2012, at 7:12 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                    > Hey Connie,
                    > Where and from whom did you hear that?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > YiS,
                    > Marian McQuaid
                    > Registrar
                    > Boston Minuteman

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012

                      > Marian,
                      >
                      > The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that
                      one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I
                      suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                      The online Internet Advancement has allowed printing of membership cards
                      now for over a year. I haven't tested it to see if it's just one or
                      which ones.

                      Paul Y
                      District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                      Thunderbird District
                      Inland Northwest Council
                      Spokane WA
                      "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                    • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                        Let me point out that you can already print replacement cards in Internet Advancement. ;)