Re: [Scouter_T] Percent Trained Figure

  • zacheagle@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
      Marian,

      Trust me, I understand completely and agree with all that you say. It is a difficult quandary and even if unit leaders receive the message, there are too many instances where the message doesn't "trickle down" as it should. I wish that could change, but some people just don't accept what is ultimately their responsibility (entering ID into ScoutNet to fix an underlying flaw in the computer database system). To echo the sentiment that most everyone is thinking� "there has to be a better way!" You're right, if we keep plugging at it, I'm sure we'll figure something out.

      YIS,
      Zach

    • zacheagle@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
        Marian,

        Can you share these directions with the list? Sounds like something that could be beneficial if available to more leaders (this sounds like something you drew up and send out and not Nationally created). If that's the case, it'd be great if they learned about it and began to use it nationwide. :)

        YIS,
        Zach

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:06 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

        > Hi Lisa
        > Cards are sent to the unit leader (CM/SM/NL). They are only sent to the unit leader per National Membership Policy. I know I am a bit behind because of the Join School Night onslaught.
        >
        > In the letter that we send to the unit leader with the cards, the Unit Leader is told to tell the newly registered to go to MyScouting. I even have it on the my directions on how to take YPT.
        >
        > YiS
        > Marian

      • G.J.
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
          There are several challengesn in regards to SCOUTNET and training records.

          First and foremost is the lack of transferability of SCOUTNET records. When SCOUTNET was in the beta phase, the then national SCOUTNET director told a group of us that the records would be portable. As i have recently discovered that was not the case. Which explains why everytime I moved, I had to resubmit my records.

          Second, some councils were not inputting the training records into SCOUTNET. Probably because at the time they were not as important as they are now. Kinda funny to have the training chairman listed on the untrained list. Had to duck and cover when I told one PTC trainer that according to SCOUTNET, he hadn't completed basic training yet.

          Third, some of us old fogeys took training pre-SCOUTNET. Obviously codes for those courses were not in place at that time. But when SCOUTNET and training codes did come out, the older courses still did not have codes. The solution at the time was to put in the code for the current training, BUT use the original dates for course completion. This has led to the current problem of leaders having courses with inaccurate dates on their records, and now showing up as untrained again since we now have codes for someof the older courses.

          Fourth, the decision, and then the local training chair provision, of the mandate that leaders need to redo basic training everytime the course name changes. Grant you that challenge is somewhat solved with the local training chair able to say the older training is still valid, but I can see where some folks could possibly not accept older training.

          Jerry
        • The Little's
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
            Also, It is a good reminder to tell Scouters to keep their training
            cards in a folder like the Scouts to for their Merit Badge cards because
            they can take them into the scout office and get Scoutnet updated with
            the cards. Everything will be in place and in order taken. We tell the
            scouts that their folder is the best record they have of taken the Merit
            Badge shouldn't it be the same for us as leaders?

            How much can a folder full of plastic sleeves cost versus digging for
            records to show you have taken a course. I had to help my husband dig up
            his old cards and it was no fun. The holidays are coming, get the binder
            and sit down while it is snowing and fill the sleeves. Then next time
            someone asks Did you take this course? Show them the binder or copy the
            pages and give it to them.
            Carol Little
            CS Trainer
            BSAC Program Committee member
            and webmaster of
            www.Cubroundtable.com
            Black Swamp Area Council
            NW OH
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
              And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

              Connie

              >Zach,
              >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
              >
              >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
              >
              >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

            • Jon Baake
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                That's just what we don't need. Everyplace we turn, particularly in training
                we are asking scouters for their BSA ID# and that's where they can find it.
                Of course it is on field sheets too but most leaders never see those. I
                guess an acceptable, maybe better, alternative would be email notification
                from the registrar advising the new leader that the registration is complete
                and his/her BSA ID# is nnnnnnnnnnnn.

                Jon

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                  I believe that what they are alluding to is the fact that the new Unit Tools will be the link to all vital information.

                  Connie

                • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                    Hey Connie,
                    Where and from whom did you hear that?

                    Thanks
                    YiS,
                    Marian McQuaid
                    Registrar
                    Boston Minuteman

                    And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                    Connie

                    >Zach,
                    >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                    >
                    >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                    >
                    >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Marian,

                      The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                      Jamie Niss Dunn

                      On Dec 3, 2012, at 7:12 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                      > Hey Connie,
                      > Where and from whom did you hear that?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > YiS,
                      > Marian McQuaid
                      > Registrar
                      > Boston Minuteman

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012

                        > Marian,
                        >
                        > The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that
                        one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I
                        suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                        The online Internet Advancement has allowed printing of membership cards
                        now for over a year. I haven't tested it to see if it's just one or
                        which ones.

                        Paul Y
                        District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                        Thunderbird District
                        Inland Northwest Council
                        Spokane WA
                        "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                      • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                          Let me point out that you can already print replacement cards in Internet Advancement. ;)