Re: [Scouter_T] Percent Trained Figure

  • zacheagle@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
      Marian,

      Trust me, I understand completely and agree with all that you say. It is a difficult quandary and even if unit leaders receive the message, there are too many instances where the message doesn't "trickle down" as it should. I wish that could change, but some people just don't accept what is ultimately their responsibility (entering ID into ScoutNet to fix an underlying flaw in the computer database system). To echo the sentiment that most everyone is thinking� "there has to be a better way!" You're right, if we keep plugging at it, I'm sure we'll figure something out.

      YIS,
      Zach

    • zacheagle@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
        Marian,

        Can you share these directions with the list? Sounds like something that could be beneficial if available to more leaders (this sounds like something you drew up and send out and not Nationally created). If that's the case, it'd be great if they learned about it and began to use it nationwide. :)

        YIS,
        Zach

      • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
          I know your registrar. I will suggest that to him, and pass along what is happening and why.

          LOL....

          It is never easy, is it?
          Marian

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
            Marian

            Did you ever validate whether Scoutnet is requiring current YPT for Venturing (Y02) when rechartering crew and ship adult leaders?

            Mark Ellis
            (703) 376-4150

            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
              ScoutNet (to quote those from nation program impact committee) has no means to prevent on-line rechartering by anyone
              with or with out current Youth protection training. It is coming, but the software is not available at this time.

              This can only be done at the council level manually.

              Yours In Scouting

              Mike Crothers

              and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
              and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

              ________________________________

              Maybe someone should recommend to National that they ATTACH a small slip of paper to each BSA ID card telling the Scouter to now go into MyScouting.org and enter their number on the account. Won't completely fix the problem, but would at least remind some people to go and enter it to link the two accounts. Just a practical suggestion. :)

              YIS,
              Zach
              I used to be an Owl � SR-216
              I used to be a Staffer � SR-831, SR-948, S6-556-11-1, S6-556-13

              On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

              > On 12/02/2012 1:00 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
              > > Yup. New Scouter has to go back and enter his ID number after he gets it. Then MyScouting tells ScoutNet how New Scouter took Position Specific and Hazardous Weather and whatever else. Otherwise Scoutnet has no what to link the 2 databases.
              > >
              > > People forget that step all the time. When you find that, you have to tell them to enter their ID number in MyScouting.org.
              >
              > At least in my Council, there is a pretty big lag time between logging
              > in to take the training the first time and receiving your membership
              > card. In our Council, it's probably about two months. By that time,
              > most folks just take the cards, stuff them into a wallet and forget
              > about it. My experience is no one ever tells these folks they need to
              > complete that step either. Maybe it's something that should come out
              > when the cards are distributed?
              >
              > --
              > Yours in Scouting,
              >
              > Lisa Titus
              > CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
              > ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
              > I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
              > I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

            • G.J.
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                There are several challengesn in regards to SCOUTNET and training records.

                First and foremost is the lack of transferability of SCOUTNET records. When SCOUTNET was in the beta phase, the then national SCOUTNET director told a group of us that the records would be portable. As i have recently discovered that was not the case. Which explains why everytime I moved, I had to resubmit my records.

                Second, some councils were not inputting the training records into SCOUTNET. Probably because at the time they were not as important as they are now. Kinda funny to have the training chairman listed on the untrained list. Had to duck and cover when I told one PTC trainer that according to SCOUTNET, he hadn't completed basic training yet.

                Third, some of us old fogeys took training pre-SCOUTNET. Obviously codes for those courses were not in place at that time. But when SCOUTNET and training codes did come out, the older courses still did not have codes. The solution at the time was to put in the code for the current training, BUT use the original dates for course completion. This has led to the current problem of leaders having courses with inaccurate dates on their records, and now showing up as untrained again since we now have codes for someof the older courses.

                Fourth, the decision, and then the local training chair provision, of the mandate that leaders need to redo basic training everytime the course name changes. Grant you that challenge is somewhat solved with the local training chair able to say the older training is still valid, but I can see where some folks could possibly not accept older training.

                Jerry
              • The Little's
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Also, It is a good reminder to tell Scouters to keep their training
                  cards in a folder like the Scouts to for their Merit Badge cards because
                  they can take them into the scout office and get Scoutnet updated with
                  the cards. Everything will be in place and in order taken. We tell the
                  scouts that their folder is the best record they have of taken the Merit
                  Badge shouldn't it be the same for us as leaders?

                  How much can a folder full of plastic sleeves cost versus digging for
                  records to show you have taken a course. I had to help my husband dig up
                  his old cards and it was no fun. The holidays are coming, get the binder
                  and sit down while it is snowing and fill the sleeves. Then next time
                  someone asks Did you take this course? Show them the binder or copy the
                  pages and give it to them.
                  Carol Little
                  CS Trainer
                  BSAC Program Committee member
                  and webmaster of
                  www.Cubroundtable.com
                  Black Swamp Area Council
                  NW OH
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                    And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                    Connie

                    >Zach,
                    >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                    >
                    >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                    >
                    >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                  • Jon Baake
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                      That's just what we don't need. Everyplace we turn, particularly in training
                      we are asking scouters for their BSA ID# and that's where they can find it.
                      Of course it is on field sheets too but most leaders never see those. I
                      guess an acceptable, maybe better, alternative would be email notification
                      from the registrar advising the new leader that the registration is complete
                      and his/her BSA ID# is nnnnnnnnnnnn.

                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                        I believe that what they are alluding to is the fact that the new Unit Tools will be the link to all vital information.

                        Connie

                      • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                          Hey Connie,
                          Where and from whom did you hear that?

                          Thanks
                          YiS,
                          Marian McQuaid
                          Registrar
                          Boston Minuteman

                          And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                          Connie

                          >Zach,
                          >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                          >
                          >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                          >
                          >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                        • Jamie Niss Dunn
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                            Marian,

                            The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                            Jamie Niss Dunn

                            On Dec 3, 2012, at 7:12 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                            > Hey Connie,
                            > Where and from whom did you hear that?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > YiS,
                            > Marian McQuaid
                            > Registrar
                            > Boston Minuteman

                          • Paul
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012

                              > Marian,
                              >
                              > The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that
                              one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I
                              suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                              The online Internet Advancement has allowed printing of membership cards
                              now for over a year. I haven't tested it to see if it's just one or
                              which ones.

                              Paul Y
                              District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                              Thunderbird District
                              Inland Northwest Council
                              Spokane WA
                              "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                            • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                Let me point out that you can already print replacement cards in Internet Advancement. ;)