Re: [Scouter_T] Percent Trained Figure

  • Lisa Titus
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
      On 12/02/2012 1:00 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
      > Yup. New Scouter has to go back and enter his ID number after he gets it. Then MyScouting tells ScoutNet how New Scouter took Position Specific and Hazardous Weather and whatever else. Otherwise Scoutnet has no what to link the 2 databases.
      >
      > People forget that step all the time. When you find that, you have to tell them to enter their ID number in MyScouting.org.

      At least in my Council, there is a pretty big lag time between logging
      in to take the training the first time and receiving your membership
      card. In our Council, it's probably about two months. By that time,
      most folks just take the cards, stuff them into a wallet and forget
      about it. My experience is no one ever tells these folks they need to
      complete that step either. Maybe it's something that should come out
      when the cards are distributed?

      Lisa Titus
      CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
      ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
      I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
      I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

    • zacheagle@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
        Maybe someone should recommend to National that they ATTACH a small slip of paper to each BSA ID card telling the Scouter to now go into MyScouting.org and enter their number on the account. Won't completely fix the problem, but would at least remind some people to go and enter it to link the two accounts. Just a practical suggestion. :)

        YIS,
        Zach
        I used to be an Owl � SR-216
        I used to be a Staffer � SR-831, SR-948, S6-556-11-1, S6-556-13

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

        > On 12/02/2012 1:00 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
        > > Yup. New Scouter has to go back and enter his ID number after he gets it. Then MyScouting tells ScoutNet how New Scouter took Position Specific and Hazardous Weather and whatever else. Otherwise Scoutnet has no what to link the 2 databases.
        > >
        > > People forget that step all the time. When you find that, you have to tell them to enter their ID number in MyScouting.org.
        >
        > At least in my Council, there is a pretty big lag time between logging
        > in to take the training the first time and receiving your membership
        > card. In our Council, it's probably about two months. By that time,
        > most folks just take the cards, stuff them into a wallet and forget
        > about it. My experience is no one ever tells these folks they need to
        > complete that step either. Maybe it's something that should come out
        > when the cards are distributed?
        >
        > --
        > Yours in Scouting,
        >
        > Lisa Titus
        > CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
        > ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
        > I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
        > I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

      • Robert Brunson
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
          Or just print the instruction message on the back of the BSA registration
          cards....

          Robert Brunson
          Dallas, Texas

          On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Zach <zacheagle@...> wrote:

          Maybe someone should recommend to National that they ATTACH a small slip of
          paper to each BSA ID card telling the Scouter to now go into MyScouting.org
          and enter their number on the account. Won't completely fix the problem, but
          would at least remind some people to go and enter it to link the two
          accounts. Just a practical suggestion. :)

          YIS,
          Zach
          I used to be an Owl . SR-216
          I used to be a Staffer . SR-831, SR-948, S6-556-11-1, S6-556-13
        • A. Dukovic
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
            Folks remember it's Scoutnet, and before that it was Uniex and it's NEVER been accurate!!  In my council we were forced to survey Scouters ourselves and make the corrections by hand, the ONLY way that we've gotten close to reality; anyone that's registered has to check their own training records to verify what they have unfortunately and national is "working on" the problems, but has been for 20+ years!!

            In my District I maintained my own Excel spreadsheet I could cut and paste and send to units and again, that was the ONLY way we were 100% sure we were accurate.  Now for registration or renewal, Scoutnet must be corrected for the process to be completed as we all know but when you been working hard to get folks trained, it's great to see "accurate" numbers??

            - Art

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
              I too have a district training database (as suggested by the BSA Leadership Training Guide) so as to have an inventory of leaders that need training and a ready phone or e-mail address to send training info to the unit Key 3 but also directly to the untrained leader.

              Regardless of how we feel about ScoutNET, it is THE database of record for training data. That data is used to measure who is trained and who is not trained for Journey to Excellence and overall where we measure whether adult leader training is a success or less than a success. As someone who has been entering training data into ScoutNET for the past three years, I’ve found once you understand the quirks of training data entry in ScoutNET, generally speaking the system works. The data entry person has to look at the individual record and assess based on the courses completed and the leader’s registration whether the Positions Trained was updated correctly. Most data entry folks just hand jam the data in, and never check to see if the ScoutNET logic worked correctly. Sad to say, but training data entry is one of the lowest priorities in most councils.

              I look forward to the day when district folks have read/write access to leader records in their district and district/unit training reports via myscouting.org. Can’t some soon enough for me.

              Mark Ellis
              Leadership Training Chair
              Aquia District
              National Capital Area Council
              (703) 376-4150

            • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                Hi Lisa
                Cards are sent to the unit leader (CM/SM/NL). They are only sent to the unit leader per National Membership Policy. I know I am a bit behind because of the Join School Night onslaught.

                In the letter that we send to the unit leader with the cards, the Unit Leader is told to tell the newly registered to go to MyScouting. I even have it on the my directions on how to take YPT.

                YiS
                Marian

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                  Zach,
                  ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.

                  It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.

                  The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                  YiS
                  Marian

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Look on the back of your card. There is printed logo there. And those cards are printed by the gazillions. An enterprising person could figure it out, give it to their registrar.

                    Said Registrar now prints cards in Scoutnet. Youth and Adults are all mixed together. Now must exit SN after addresses, rosters and Charters are printed. Open Word, find that template, open it, and pull the cards from stack (by batch) reprint them on the back, and get them back the right batch.

                    The folks around here get upset easily and can be confused quickly. So I won't even begin to guess how many parents are going to call and whine about directions to go to MyScouting and add the ID number for their kids. Yup, fools abound.

                    I am not saying it can't happen, but in the time crunch we registrars find ourselves on a daily basis, anything that adds time is difficult to shoehorn in. That's why I put it in the letter that goes with the cards to the Unit Leader. I also have it on my set of directions that go by the fistful to each unit. The directions tell how to go to MyScouting, set up an account, take YPT and the other courses and then to add their Member ID.

                    Keep the ideas coming. We can figure this out. Heck I would be willing to try this, if someone (NOT ME) sets up the template. Let me know, and I will figure out the dimensions of the cards and the layout.

                    YiS,
                    Marian

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Marian,

                      Trust me, I understand completely and agree with all that you say. It is a difficult quandary and even if unit leaders receive the message, there are too many instances where the message doesn't "trickle down" as it should. I wish that could change, but some people just don't accept what is ultimately their responsibility (entering ID into ScoutNet to fix an underlying flaw in the computer database system). To echo the sentiment that most everyone is thinking� "there has to be a better way!" You're right, if we keep plugging at it, I'm sure we'll figure something out.

                      YIS,
                      Zach

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                        Marian,

                        Can you share these directions with the list? Sounds like something that could be beneficial if available to more leaders (this sounds like something you drew up and send out and not Nationally created). If that's the case, it'd be great if they learned about it and began to use it nationwide. :)

                        YIS,
                        Zach

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                          It's funny you should say that. As a CM, I just got mine the other
                          day. I fully admit, I no longer read the letter as I assume it says
                          the same thing is always has. But, since it's right here still - I
                          pulled it back out and there is NO mention about linking membership
                          number to username.

                          I have no problem with the cards going to the Unit Leader -- BUT -- I
                          think we really do need to have something in there (like YOU are already
                          doing!) that states the adult leaders need to link their account to
                          their membership number. I don't think it's something most unit
                          leaders know to do. Mine was a "lightening bolt" type moment when I
                          figured out why I could see leaders YPT date but nothing else they had
                          claimed to have taken. The registrar couldn't tell me why I wasn't
                          seeing the other training.

                          YiS
                          Lisa

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                            Yes Mark, Scoutnet IS getting better and also yes, it's the ONLY tool we can use and yes too, it's certainly better than what they had before??

                            The point is accuracy, and where ever you go folks, something you try is NOT gonna work correctly so understand what we're both saying here; develop a "plan B" to verify what information your system is giving you please??    Scoutnet relies on accurate input and query and either can mess up what's coming out ... welcome to computers!!

                            My predecessor, only just a few years ago used 3x5 cards and that for for him just fine but it may not for you; those cards, and my Excel sheets, allowed him and me to spot-check Unit or person data to verify what Scoutnet was tellin us via "reports".  It made us aware of shortfalls or errors and helped us get them corrected, which is the whole purpose of the system correct??

                            - Art

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 2, 2012
                              I know your registrar. I will suggest that to him, and pass along what is happening and why.

                              LOL....

                              It is never easy, is it?
                              Marian

                            • mark.ellis21@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                Marian

                                Did you ever validate whether Scoutnet is requiring current YPT for Venturing (Y02) when rechartering crew and ship adult leaders?

                                Mark Ellis
                                (703) 376-4150

                                Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

                                Maybe someone should recommend to National that they ATTACH a small slip of paper to each BSA ID card telling the Scouter to now go into MyScouting.org and enter their number on the account. Won't completely fix the problem, but would at least remind some people to go and enter it to link the two accounts. Just a practical suggestion. :)

                                YIS,
                                Zach
                                I used to be an Owl � SR-216
                                I used to be a Staffer � SR-831, SR-948, S6-556-11-1, S6-556-13

                                On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

                                > On 12/02/2012 1:00 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                > > Yup. New Scouter has to go back and enter his ID number after he gets it. Then MyScouting tells ScoutNet how New Scouter took Position Specific and Hazardous Weather and whatever else. Otherwise Scoutnet has no what to link the 2 databases.
                                > >
                                > > People forget that step all the time. When you find that, you have to tell them to enter their ID number in MyScouting.org.
                                >
                                > At least in my Council, there is a pretty big lag time between logging
                                > in to take the training the first time and receiving your membership
                                > card. In our Council, it's probably about two months. By that time,
                                > most folks just take the cards, stuff them into a wallet and forget
                                > about it. My experience is no one ever tells these folks they need to
                                > complete that step either. Maybe it's something that should come out
                                > when the cards are distributed?
                                >
                                > --
                                > Yours in Scouting,
                                >
                                > Lisa Titus
                                > CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                                > ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                                > I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                                > I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

                              • Michael Crothers
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                  ScoutNet (to quote those from nation program impact committee) has no means to prevent on-line rechartering by anyone
                                  with or with out current Youth protection training. It is coming, but the software is not available at this time.

                                  This can only be done at the council level manually.

                                  Yours In Scouting

                                  Mike Crothers

                                  and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
                                  and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                  ________________________________

                                  Maybe someone should recommend to National that they ATTACH a small slip of paper to each BSA ID card telling the Scouter to now go into MyScouting.org and enter their number on the account. Won't completely fix the problem, but would at least remind some people to go and enter it to link the two accounts. Just a practical suggestion. :)

                                  YIS,
                                  Zach
                                  I used to be an Owl � SR-216
                                  I used to be a Staffer � SR-831, SR-948, S6-556-11-1, S6-556-13

                                  On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Lisa Titus <bearmitzvah@...> wrote:

                                  > On 12/02/2012 1:00 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:
                                  > > Yup. New Scouter has to go back and enter his ID number after he gets it. Then MyScouting tells ScoutNet how New Scouter took Position Specific and Hazardous Weather and whatever else. Otherwise Scoutnet has no what to link the 2 databases.
                                  > >
                                  > > People forget that step all the time. When you find that, you have to tell them to enter their ID number in MyScouting.org.
                                  >
                                  > At least in my Council, there is a pretty big lag time between logging
                                  > in to take the training the first time and receiving your membership
                                  > card. In our Council, it's probably about two months. By that time,
                                  > most folks just take the cards, stuff them into a wallet and forget
                                  > about it. My experience is no one ever tells these folks they need to
                                  > complete that step either. Maybe it's something that should come out
                                  > when the cards are distributed?
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Yours in Scouting,
                                  >
                                  > Lisa Titus
                                  > CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                                  > ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                                  > I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                                  > I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

                                • G.J.
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                    There are several challengesn in regards to SCOUTNET and training records.

                                    First and foremost is the lack of transferability of SCOUTNET records. When SCOUTNET was in the beta phase, the then national SCOUTNET director told a group of us that the records would be portable. As i have recently discovered that was not the case. Which explains why everytime I moved, I had to resubmit my records.

                                    Second, some councils were not inputting the training records into SCOUTNET. Probably because at the time they were not as important as they are now. Kinda funny to have the training chairman listed on the untrained list. Had to duck and cover when I told one PTC trainer that according to SCOUTNET, he hadn't completed basic training yet.

                                    Third, some of us old fogeys took training pre-SCOUTNET. Obviously codes for those courses were not in place at that time. But when SCOUTNET and training codes did come out, the older courses still did not have codes. The solution at the time was to put in the code for the current training, BUT use the original dates for course completion. This has led to the current problem of leaders having courses with inaccurate dates on their records, and now showing up as untrained again since we now have codes for someof the older courses.

                                    Fourth, the decision, and then the local training chair provision, of the mandate that leaders need to redo basic training everytime the course name changes. Grant you that challenge is somewhat solved with the local training chair able to say the older training is still valid, but I can see where some folks could possibly not accept older training.

                                    Jerry
                                  • The Little's
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                      Also, It is a good reminder to tell Scouters to keep their training
                                      cards in a folder like the Scouts to for their Merit Badge cards because
                                      they can take them into the scout office and get Scoutnet updated with
                                      the cards. Everything will be in place and in order taken. We tell the
                                      scouts that their folder is the best record they have of taken the Merit
                                      Badge shouldn't it be the same for us as leaders?

                                      How much can a folder full of plastic sleeves cost versus digging for
                                      records to show you have taken a course. I had to help my husband dig up
                                      his old cards and it was no fun. The holidays are coming, get the binder
                                      and sit down while it is snowing and fill the sleeves. Then next time
                                      someone asks Did you take this course? Show them the binder or copy the
                                      pages and give it to them.
                                      Carol Little
                                      CS Trainer
                                      BSAC Program Committee member
                                      and webmaster of
                                      www.Cubroundtable.com
                                      Black Swamp Area Council
                                      NW OH
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                        And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                                        Connie

                                        >Zach,
                                        >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                                        >
                                        >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                                        >
                                        >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                                      • Jon Baake
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                          That's just what we don't need. Everyplace we turn, particularly in training
                                          we are asking scouters for their BSA ID# and that's where they can find it.
                                          Of course it is on field sheets too but most leaders never see those. I
                                          guess an acceptable, maybe better, alternative would be email notification
                                          from the registrar advising the new leader that the registration is complete
                                          and his/her BSA ID# is nnnnnnnnnnnn.

                                          Jon

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                            I believe that what they are alluding to is the fact that the new Unit Tools will be the link to all vital information.

                                            Connie

                                          • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                              Hey Connie,
                                              Where and from whom did you hear that?

                                              Thanks
                                              YiS,
                                              Marian McQuaid
                                              Registrar
                                              Boston Minuteman

                                              And the word here is that the cards are no longer going to be distributed.

                                              Connie

                                              >Zach,
                                              >ID cards are printed in sheets of 12. And if you are a registrar like me, you have batched several units together, so you have multiple units on a sheet.
                                              >
                                              >It would be up to the registrar, who is pretty overwhelmed most days, to staple that set of directions on to the card.
                                              >
                                              >The best would be a unit leaders (who gets the cards) to hand out directions themselves.

                                            • Jamie Niss Dunn
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                                Marian,

                                                The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                                                Jamie Niss Dunn

                                                On Dec 3, 2012, at 7:12 PM, mcquaidfam@... wrote:

                                                > Hey Connie,
                                                > Where and from whom did you hear that?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks
                                                > YiS,
                                                > Marian McQuaid
                                                > Registrar
                                                > Boston Minuteman

                                              • Paul
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012

                                                  > Marian,
                                                  >
                                                  > The "release notes" for the new Unit Tools in MyScouting indicate that
                                                  one enhancement will be that unit leaders can print membership cards. I
                                                  suppose some councils may delegate that task for cost and time savings.

                                                  The online Internet Advancement has allowed printing of membership cards
                                                  now for over a year. I haven't tested it to see if it's just one or
                                                  which ones.

                                                  Paul Y
                                                  District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                                                  Thunderbird District
                                                  Inland Northwest Council
                                                  Spokane WA
                                                  "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                                                • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 3, 2012
                                                    Let me point out that you can already print replacement cards in Internet Advancement. ;)