Re: OKPIK syllabus

  • Rick Pushies
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012
      Hi Michael,

      I have not found the OKPIK syllabus, but I did find two related documents that may help you.

      One is the OKPIK Advisor Planning guide. (This may be they syllabus, I'm not certain. If not, the document provides contact information for the Northern Tier info@...) or phone (218 365 4811)
      http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NorthernTier/pdf/OkpikAdvisorGuide.pdf%c2%a0

      The other is the OKPIK participant handbook.
      http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NorthernTier/pdf/OkpikParticipantHandbook.pdf%c2%a0

      Knowing how much insulation is needed for a warm night of sleep can be difficult for those with no experience sleeping on the cold ground covered in snow. I suggest having Scouts test their sleeping gear by placing a bag of ice on a chair then have the Scout place his insulation and sleeping bag on the bag of ice. Then have the Scout sit on the sleeping bag during you meeting. If their butt's get cold they do not have enough insulation. A better way to prepare than hoping you have enough only to find in the middle of the night that you have too little insulation below you.

      I hope these help.

      ~Rick

    • Michael Crothers
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012
        Thanks

        Yours In Scouting

        Mike Crothers

        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012
          Okpik: Cold Weather Camping
          Item: 34040

          www.scoutstuff.org