RE: [Scouter_T] OKPIK syllabus

  • Candace Lewis
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13 7:03 AM
      Thank you, we don't get a lot of snow in Texas, guess that is why we don't have that course, but I am very interested in the program if any has the training information requested earlier.

      Candy Lewis

      Candace Lewis
      Paralegal to Jeffrey N. Kaitcer
      LOE, WARREN, ROSENFIELD, KAITCER, HIBBS,
      WINDSOR, LAWRENCE & WOLFFARTH, P.C.
      4420 W. Vickery Blvd.
      Fort Worth, Texas 76107
      817/377-0060; Fax: 817/377-1120

      Information contained in this email is confidential and protected from disclosure by the attorney/client privilege. It is intended solely for use by the recipient to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this communication is NOT the intended recipient (or employee or agent responsible for delivery to the intended recipient), you are notified that you should delete this email, and that any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have received this messagee in error, please notify us immediately at 817/377-0060. Thank you.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13 9:08 AM
        Hi Michael,

        I have not found the OKPIK syllabus, but I did find two related documents that may help you.

        One is the OKPIK Advisor Planning guide. (This may be they syllabus, I'm not certain. If not, the document provides contact information for the Northern Tier info@...) or phone (218 365 4811)
        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NorthernTier/pdf/OkpikAdvisorGuide.pdf%c2%a0

        The other is the OKPIK participant handbook.
        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/NorthernTier/pdf/OkpikParticipantHandbook.pdf%c2%a0

        Knowing how much insulation is needed for a warm night of sleep can be difficult for those with no experience sleeping on the cold ground covered in snow. I suggest having Scouts test their sleeping gear by placing a bag of ice on a chair then have the Scout place his insulation and sleeping bag on the bag of ice. Then have the Scout sit on the sleeping bag during you meeting. If their butt's get cold they do not have enough insulation. A better way to prepare than hoping you have enough only to find in the middle of the night that you have too little insulation below you.

        I hope these help.

        ~Rick

      • Michael Crothers
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13 10:23 AM
          Thanks

          Yours In Scouting

          Mike Crothers

          and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
          and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13 4:20 PM
            Okpik: Cold Weather Camping
            Item: 34040

            www.scoutstuff.org