Effective Roundtables - BCS 108 and 109

  • E Hebenthal
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 6, 2012
      Has anyone ever taught these classes at Commissioner College, particulary 109? I'm trying to find out what certain things on the outline are:

      Forming a roundtable pack or troop
      Scouting "supermarket"
      Physical property bank

      Thanks,
      Elaine H.

    • Bill Lovell
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 6, 2012
        I have done this training and I understood the following:

        1) The roundtable pack or troop refers to getting a unit to cover the roundtable season. For example, you may have a troop that will handle organizing the Boy Scout Roundtables for the entire season, rather than having one Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.

        2) I took Scouting "supermarket" to mean, getting to know area businesses that will donate items and supplies for the roundtable. For example, a local company might donate coffee or coffee supplies for the season.

        3) The physical property bank refers to all the "left-over" items that are lying around from previous scouting programs. For example, popcorn or FOS prizes that may be used as "give-aways" or Klondike or Day Camp program items that may be used for future roundtable programs and they are free for the taking.

        Bill
        Great Trail Council - Akron

        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
          Hello all,

          I am a csrt entering my second year. My council has not had these type courses. Does anyone have a ppt or other documentation they could send me or point me to?

          Thanks

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Bill Lovell <crabbybill@...> wrote:

          > I have done this training and I understood the following:
          >
          > 1) The roundtable pack or troop refers to getting a unit to cover the roundtable season. For example, you may have a troop that will handle organizing the Boy Scout Roundtables for the entire season, rather than having one Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.
          >
          > 2) I took Scouting "supermarket" to mean, getting to know area businesses that will donate items and supplies for the roundtable. For example, a local company might donate coffee or coffee supplies for the season.
          >
          > 3) The physical property bank refers to all the "left-over" items that are lying around from previous scouting programs. For example, popcorn or FOS prizes that may be used as "give-aways" or Klondike or Day Camp program items that may be used for future roundtable programs and they are free for the taking.
          >
          > Bill
          > Great Trail Council - Akron
          >

          > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          > From: ehebenthal@...
          > Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:09:20 -0400
          > Subject: [Scouter_T] Effective Roundtables - BCS 108 and 109
          >

          > Has anyone ever taught these classes at Commissioner College, particulary 109? I'm trying to find out what certain things on the outline are:
          >
          > Forming a roundtable pack or troop
          > Scouting "supermarket"
          > Physical property bank
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Elaine H.

        • Bill Lovell
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
            To Squantodistrict;

            As I said, I did do Roundtable trainings at the College of Commissioner Science. I have attached one of my powerpoints. It basically walks through the session on Effective Roundtables. Hope this link comes through and it helps.

            Also, strongly encourage your council to do these trainings (or sneak over to a nearby council that does and get it there)

            Bill
            GTC/Akron

            To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
            From: squantodistrict@...
            Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:36:55 +0000
            Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: Effective Roundtables - BCS 108 and 109

            Hello all,

            I am a csrt entering my second year. My council has not had these type courses. Does anyone have a ppt or other documentation they could send me or point me to?

            Thanks

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Bill Lovell <crabbybill@...> wrote:

            > I have done this training and I understood the following:
            >
            > 1) The roundtable pack or troop refers to getting a unit to cover the roundtable season. For example, you may have a troop that will handle organizing the Boy Scout Roundtables for the entire season, rather than having one Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.
            >
            > 2) I took Scouting "supermarket" to mean, getting to know area businesses that will donate items and supplies for the roundtable. For example, a local company might donate coffee or coffee supplies for the season.
            >
            > 3) The physical property bank refers to all the "left-over" items that are lying around from previous scouting programs. For example, popcorn or FOS prizes that may be used as "give-aways" or Klondike or Day Camp program items that may be used for future roundtable programs and they are free for the taking.
            >
            > Bill
            > Great Trail Council - Akron
            >

            > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
            > From: ehebenthal@...
            > Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:09:20 -0400
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] Effective Roundtables - BCS 108 and 109
            >

            > Has anyone ever taught these classes at Commissioner College, particulary 109? I'm trying to find out what certain things on the outline are:
            >
            > Forming a roundtable pack or troop
            > Scouting "supermarket"
            > Physical property bank
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Elaine H.

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
              <<As I said, I did do Roundtable trainings at the College of Commissioner Science. I have attached one of my powerpoints. It basically walks through the session on Effective Roundtables. Hope this link comes through and it helps.>>

              Bill - the list strips off attachments. If you want to send a private e-mail to the original poster, they would receive the file. Or, you could post it to the files section of the group.

              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Cubmaster, Pack 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Troop Committee, Troop 509
              Ham Lake, MN
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              Three Rivers District

            • Bill Lovell
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                See if this works

                Bill has a file to share with you on SkyDrive. To view it, click the link below.

                Advanced Roundtables.ppt

                To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                From: squantodistrict@...
                Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:36:55 +0000

                Hello all,

                I am a csrt entering my second year. My council has not had these type courses. Does anyone have a ppt or other documentation they could send me or point me to?

                Thanks

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Bill Lovell <crabbybill@...> wrote:

                > I have done this training and I understood the following:
                >
                > 1) The roundtable pack or troop refers to getting a unit to cover the roundtable season. For example, you may have a troop that will handle organizing the Boy Scout Roundtables for the entire season, rather than having one Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.
                >
                > 2) I took Scouting "supermarket" to mean, getting to know area businesses that will donate items and supplies for the roundtable. For example, a local company might donate coffee or coffee supplies for the season.
                >
                > 3) The physical property bank refers to all the "left-over" items that are lying around from previous scouting programs. For example, popcorn or FOS prizes that may be used as "give-aways" or Klondike or Day Camp program items that may be used for future roundtable programs and they are free for the taking.
                >
                > Bill
                > Great Trail Council - Akron
                >

                > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                > From: ehebenthal@...
                > Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:09:20 -0400
                > Subject: [Scouter_T] Effective Roundtables - BCS 108 and 109
                >

                > Has anyone ever taught these classes at Commissioner College, particulary 109? I'm trying to find out what certain things on the outline are:
                >
                > Forming a roundtable pack or troop
                > Scouting "supermarket"
                > Physical property bank
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Elaine H.

              • Bill Lovell
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Thanks (by the way, I love the town names up there in MN!) Bill

                  To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                    <<Thanks (by the way, I love the town names up there in MN!) Bill>>

                    Hey - these are tame. Blaine is named for James G. Blaine, a 19th century Republication politician. Coon Rapids is short for Coon Creek Rapids - a small waterway running through the county. I think our great names are Naytahwaush, Waukenabo, Mankato and Lac qui Parle.

                    BTW - your link didn't work :(

                  • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                      Could you please post it in the files section?

                      Lisa
                      Mom to 3 boys
                      Pack Trainer
                      Assistant Scoutmaster
                      District Vice Chair, Program
                      District Training Team
                      Webelos Den Leader
                      and a good ole Bobwhite too!

                      In a message dated 8/7/2012 10:58:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      JNDunnMN@... writes:

                      BTW - your link didn't work :(

                    • Bill Lovell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                        Done, thanks. I didn't know how and now I do.

                        Bill

                        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                        From: CubScoutDen@...
                        Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:12:59 -0400

                        Could you please post it in the files section?

                        Lisa
                        Mom to 3 boys
                        Pack Trainer
                        Assistant Scoutmaster
                        District Vice Chair, Program
                        District Training Team
                        Webelos Den Leader
                        and a good ole Bobwhite too!

                        In a message dated 8/7/2012 10:58:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        JNDunnMN@... writes:

                        BTW - your link didn't work :(

                      • thomas
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                          And knowing is 1/2 the battle Bill

                          Tom W
                          GWRC / Warren

                          To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                          From: CubScoutDen@...
                          Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:12:59 -0400

                          Could you please post it in the files section?

                          Lisa
                          Mom to 3 boys
                          Pack Trainer
                          Assistant Scoutmaster
                          District Vice Chair, Program
                          District Training Team
                          Webelos Den Leader
                          and a good ole Bobwhite too!

                          In a message dated 8/7/2012 10:58:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          JNDunnMN@... writes:

                          BTW - your link didn't work :(

                        • Ron
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2012
                            Here are the links to the new College of Commissioner Science Courses which were approved at the last National Annual Meeting.

                            BCS 108:
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qmpyn2s5bzy011/BCS%20108%20EFFECTIVE%20ROUNDTABLES%20I.zip

                            BCS 109:
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo8bfhxxdt16dsh/BCS%20109%20EFFECTIVE%20ROUNDTABLES%20II.zip

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Squanto District" <squantodistrict@...> wrote:

                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > I am a csrt entering my second year. My council has not had these type courses. Does anyone have a ppt or other documentation they could send me or point me to?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                          • Rick Pushies
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2012
                              Several of the documents in the zip files listed below were difficult for me to open once they were un-zipped. Ron helped me get new files that I was able to open. Thanks Ron.

                              I converted all the MS Word files to PDF documents making them much smaller and easier to download. I have posted on the files on the 'Documents' page of my personal web site. If you want to download the files, please visit. http://pushies.com/documents.html

                              If you have any difficulties, please let me know.

                              ~Rick Pushies

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <ron@...> wrote:

                              > Here are the links to the new College of Commissioner Science Courses which were approved at the last National Annual Meeting.
                              >
                              > BCS 108:
                              > https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qmpyn2s5bzy011/BCS%20108%20EFFECTIVE%20ROUNDTABLES%20I.zip
                              >
                              > BCS 109:
                              > https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo8bfhxxdt16dsh/BCS%20109%20EFFECTIVE%20ROUNDTABLES%20II.zip
                              >

                              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Squanto District" <squantodistrict@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello all,
                              > >
                              > > I am a csrt entering my second year. My council has not had these type courses. Does anyone have a ppt or other documentation they could send me or point me to?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks

                            • Donna F. Williams
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2012
                                Thanks so much!!!!

                                Donna
                              • E Hebenthal
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 12, 2012
                                  Thanks for the help.

                                  I need something else about BCS 109. One of the things to be covered is ceremonies. In our Council, the only real ceremony we've had at Roundtable is the Woodbadge beading ceremony. Once or twice the Cub Scouts did an opening after the pledge, oath, promise and law. What other kinds of ceremonies do you have at Roundtable in your Councils that should be mentioned when teaching this course?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Elaine H.
                                • Sandra Martens
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 12, 2012
                                    CS roundtables always followed a pack meeting format (It may have changed in the last couple years, after I gave it up, but I'm not sure).  We always included opening, advancement, and closing ceremonies.  They always reflected the monthly theme, whether the core value theme or the alternate theme for each month.

                                    Sandy OWL
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 12, 2012
                                      Hi Elaine,

                                      A well conducted ceremony can be a powerful experience for adults and youth. Two Scouting documents that have some great ceremony ideas are the Ceremonies for Dens and Packs, #33212 and the Troop Program Resources, #33588. You can find links to both on my web site Document page.
                                      http://pushies.com/documents.html#ceremony%c2%a0

                                      I hope this helps. Be good to yourself.

                                      ~Rick