Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter

  • ftooth
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
      Blazing fast 300 baud.  Connected no doubt using an acoustic coupler - a black box into which you inserted the telephone receiver and pushed it into the rubber cups that surrounded the mouthpiece and earpiece.
      Frank

      >________________________________
      > From: Rick Pushies <rpushies@...>
      >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter
      >

      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem%c2%a0
      >
      >My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore 64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.
      >
      >V92 is a CCITT modem standard. However I believe Mark was pulling our leg, just a little.
      >
      >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)
      >
      >>________________________________

    • Rick Pushies
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
        No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem!  A serial cable to connect to the computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas so good to be young then!

        >________________________________

      • David Wildschuetz
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
          I was sooooo glad to get that first 2400 US Robotics non-acoustical modem!
          After trying to deal with customer sites using that old Anderson-Jacobson
          acoustical 1200 baud modem using a phone with square-ended handset, it was a
          blessing. We even had a couple of sites that required a 300 baud modem. I
          could type faster than that.

          And whatever you did, do not sneeze when using one of those, or you get to see
          what a sneeze looks like on your screen.

          David Wildschuetz
          Scoutmaster, Troop 310
          http://bstroop1310.scoutlander.com

          ________________________________
          No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem! A serial cable to connect to the
          computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas
          so good to be young then!

          >________________________________

        • Don Wilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
            I have not followed this thread but the U92/V92 could be important to unit
            leaders. Has that already been addressed?

            Don Wilson
            OHC 427

            >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It
            probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would.
            ;-)
          • A. Dukovic
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
              You all are missing the point here folks; both of these "positions" allow youth members that "age out" at 18 or so retain their tenure in Scouting without any additional "training" requirements other than YPT.

              A youth in a Troop that turns 18 is often retained as an ASM, which in many councils now, requires all the adult training to qualify; registering these youth in the Units as "reserve", allows them to stay involved when they're home, but does NOT drag down the Units training "stats" nor does it stop recharter for lack of training.

              It's a very valuable "option" for both Troops and Crews to have and was previously only available as an "option" under council charters>

              - Art

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
                Absolutely correct, Art. If one has served as District Training Chairman
                trying to work out a way to encourage these young leaders to attend
                training with their busy schedules or on the Council Training Team trying
                to schedule training courses to fit college vacations or military leaves, this
                method of registering with YPT, which can be easily complete on-line, is a
                God-send, (well, National send). These positions have been available for a
                couple of years, and units are encouraged to make use of them. Remember
                the numbers, right or wrong.

                Don Wilson
                OHC 427

                To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com