Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter

  • ftooth
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
      What's a modem?

      Frank

      >________________________________
      > From: Mark Liechty <news@...>
      >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter
      >

      >On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Rick Pushies wrote:
      >
      >> For those of us who are ignorant of the U92/V92 issue, can someone tell us what it is?
      >> #######
      >>

      >I think it was a Modem standard for BBS systems in the mid-90's. Likely what the new BSA training systems are designed to use as primary protocols while they evaluate and determine if this whole Internet thing is going to take off.
      >
      >Sorry, could not resist.

    • Rick Pushies
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem%c2%a0

        My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore 64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.

        V92 is a CCITT modem standard. However I believe Mark was pulling our leg, just a little.

        I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)

        >________________________________

      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
          <<I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)>>

          From the context, I think they're position codes for the Unit Scouter reserve positions, which ScoutNet apparently isn't recognizing, requiring hand alterations to the recharter roster printed from the Internet Rechartering system.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Cubmaster, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • Rick Pushies
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
            Jamie, thank you. Be good to yourself. ~Rick

            >________________________________

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:

              > My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore
              64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase
              Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.

              Wow! Someone else who BBSd with Dave. I was in Montgomery (AL) and I
              think he was running the BBS out of somewhere in western OR
              (Milwaukie?).

              Last I heard he is on the staff at the US Scouting Service Project.

              Paul Y
            • Rick Pushies
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                Hi Paul,

                No, Dave ran his BBS out of Lodi, California which was then part of the Forty Niner Council. Years later his council and my Yosemite Area Council merged into the Greater Yosemite Council. After many years of BBS friendship we finally met at Camp McConnell in Livingston, CA. Yes, Dave is associated with the US Scouting Service Project. Dave now lives in Kansas City, Missouri.

                You can find him on Facebook. If you do, tell him Rick says Hi!

                ~Rick

              • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                  sorry.
                  92U is the code for Unit College Scouter Reserve...used for youth 18 to 21 in a troop. If you use this code, their lack of training doesn't count against the unit, as an untrained Asst. Scoutmaster would (most often this is where they are coded). SA (Asst. SM), while it seems reasonable, assumes that they are around, active and available to take training. 92U assumes they are in college, around only for summer and the odd trip now and again, and not all that available to take training.

                  Hope that helps. Brain is mildly fried, trying to get things wrapped up at work, and pack for my troop's week at summer camp. those are slightly incompatible.

                  YiS,
                  Marian McQuaid
                  Registrar
                  Boston Minuteman Council

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Marian, thank you. ~Rick

                    >________________________________

                  • ftooth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Blazing fast 300 baud.  Connected no doubt using an acoustic coupler - a black box into which you inserted the telephone receiver and pushed it into the rubber cups that surrounded the mouthpiece and earpiece.
                      Frank

                      >________________________________
                      > From: Rick Pushies <rpushies@...>
                      >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter
                      >

                      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem%c2%a0
                      >
                      >My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore 64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.
                      >
                      >V92 is a CCITT modem standard. However I believe Mark was pulling our leg, just a little.
                      >
                      >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)
                      >
                      >>________________________________

                    • Rick Pushies
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                        No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem!  A serial cable to connect to the computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas so good to be young then!

                        >________________________________

                      • David Wildschuetz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                          I was sooooo glad to get that first 2400 US Robotics non-acoustical modem!
                          After trying to deal with customer sites using that old Anderson-Jacobson
                          acoustical 1200 baud modem using a phone with square-ended handset, it was a
                          blessing. We even had a couple of sites that required a 300 baud modem. I
                          could type faster than that.

                          And whatever you did, do not sneeze when using one of those, or you get to see
                          what a sneeze looks like on your screen.

                          David Wildschuetz
                          Scoutmaster, Troop 310
                          http://bstroop1310.scoutlander.com

                          ________________________________
                          No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem! A serial cable to connect to the
                          computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas
                          so good to be young then!

                          >________________________________

                        • Don Wilson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                            I have not followed this thread but the U92/V92 could be important to unit
                            leaders. Has that already been addressed?

                            Don Wilson
                            OHC 427

                            >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It
                            probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would.
                            ;-)
                          • A. Dukovic
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
                              You all are missing the point here folks; both of these "positions" allow youth members that "age out" at 18 or so retain their tenure in Scouting without any additional "training" requirements other than YPT.

                              A youth in a Troop that turns 18 is often retained as an ASM, which in many councils now, requires all the adult training to qualify; registering these youth in the Units as "reserve", allows them to stay involved when they're home, but does NOT drag down the Units training "stats" nor does it stop recharter for lack of training.

                              It's a very valuable "option" for both Troops and Crews to have and was previously only available as an "option" under council charters>

                              - Art

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 8, 2012
                                Absolutely correct, Art. If one has served as District Training Chairman
                                trying to work out a way to encourage these young leaders to attend
                                training with their busy schedules or on the Council Training Team trying
                                to schedule training courses to fit college vacations or military leaves, this
                                method of registering with YPT, which can be easily complete on-line, is a
                                God-send, (well, National send). These positions have been available for a
                                couple of years, and units are encouraged to make use of them. Remember
                                the numbers, right or wrong.

                                Don Wilson
                                OHC 427

                                To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com