Internet Recharter

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5 2:44 PM
      Hi, looking for someone with recent experience using the BSA Internet Recharter program. We experienced some issues back in January, 2012, and I want to make sure BSA has updated the software.

      1. Can a leader be electronically rechartered in the Unit College Scouter Reserve (U92 or V92) positions? Our experience in January was because U92 and V92 were not listed as authorized leader codes in IR, units were forced to recharter them as ASMs or Associate Venturing Advisors, print out the recharter paperwork, and then make pen-and-ink changes to the final recharter paperwork.

      2. Does the Internet Rechater funtionality reject a Crew or Ship's request to recharter an adult leader if the leader's Venturing Youth Protection Training (Y02) has not been completed or outdated, i.e., less than two years old. Our experience in January was ScoutNET allowed Venturing and Ship leaders to be rechartered as long as they were current in Youth Protection Training (Y01).

      Thanks, appreciate any assistance.

      Mark Ellis
      Leadership Training Chair
      Aquia District
      National Capital Area Council
    • Ernest Schmidt
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5 6:27 PM
        Mark some good questions, An on line program is only as good as the programmer can make it, and its to help the units, I have had a lot of trouble rechartering , my advancements Chair also has had problems on the advancements side too, 6 weeks down, will not load rosters, telling us our charter is expired,Tells my commissioners they are not authorized to do unit visits  I sure hope someone steps up and fixes theses programs so they work as they were intended.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6 4:10 AM
          Mark
          Our rechartering window does not start until 1 Nov. I can only answer on #2 based on what I was briefed as an ADC and UC.
          2) Last year was a "temporary allowance" where Venture Crew and Ship leaders could recharter with any version of YPT. Going forward the must have VYPT (Y02)

        • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6 12:49 PM
            Hi Mark!

              Trust me, the folks I chat with on a much too regular basis know about the U92/V92 issue.  I guess it was announced mid-charter renewal season, and they couldn't make the changes.  I hope it will be fixed by the next cycle.

              And they are equally painfully aware of my thoughts on the Y01/Y02 issue.

            As far as I know, they are trying to resolve it.  Not holding my breath waiting.

            Yours in Scouting,

            Marian McQuaid

            Registrar

            Boston Minuteman Council

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6 2:18 PM
              For those of us who are ignorant of the U92/V92 issue, can someone tell us what it is?

              >________________________________

            • Mark Liechty
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6 2:40 PM
                On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Rick Pushies wrote:

                > For those of us who are ignorant of the U92/V92 issue, can someone tell us what it is?
                > #######

                I think it was a Modem standard for BBS systems in the mid-90's. Likely what the new BSA training systems are designed to use as primary protocols while they evaluate and determine if this whole Internet thing is going to take off.

                Sorry, could not resist.

              • ftooth
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6 4:32 PM
                  What's a modem?

                  Frank

                  >________________________________
                  > From: Mark Liechty <news@...>
                  >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter
                  >

                  >On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Rick Pushies wrote:
                  >
                  >> For those of us who are ignorant of the U92/V92 issue, can someone tell us what it is?
                  >> #######
                  >>

                  >I think it was a Modem standard for BBS systems in the mid-90's. Likely what the new BSA training systems are designed to use as primary protocols while they evaluate and determine if this whole Internet thing is going to take off.
                  >
                  >Sorry, could not resist.

                • Rick Pushies
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6 5:17 PM
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem%c2%a0

                    My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore 64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.

                    V92 is a CCITT modem standard. However I believe Mark was pulling our leg, just a little.

                    I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)

                    >________________________________

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 6 5:25 PM
                      <<I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)>>

                      From the context, I think they're position codes for the Unit Scouter reserve positions, which ScoutNet apparently isn't recognizing, requiring hand alterations to the recharter roster printed from the Internet Rechartering system.

                      Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Cubmaster, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Troop Committee, Troop 509
                      Ham Lake, MN
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      Three Rivers District

                    • Rick Pushies
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 6 5:38 PM
                        Jamie, thank you. Be good to yourself. ~Rick

                        >________________________________

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6 5:46 PM
                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pushies <rpushies@...> wrote:

                          > My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore
                          64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase
                          Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.

                          Wow! Someone else who BBSd with Dave. I was in Montgomery (AL) and I
                          think he was running the BBS out of somewhere in western OR
                          (Milwaukie?).

                          Last I heard he is on the staff at the US Scouting Service Project.

                          Paul Y
                        • Rick Pushies
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 6 6:05 PM
                            Hi Paul,

                            No, Dave ran his BBS out of Lodi, California which was then part of the Forty Niner Council. Years later his council and my Yosemite Area Council merged into the Greater Yosemite Council. After many years of BBS friendship we finally met at Camp McConnell in Livingston, CA. Yes, Dave is associated with the US Scouting Service Project. Dave now lives in Kansas City, Missouri.

                            You can find him on Facebook. If you do, tell him Rick says Hi!

                            ~Rick

                          • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 6 6:46 PM
                              sorry.
                              92U is the code for Unit College Scouter Reserve...used for youth 18 to 21 in a troop. If you use this code, their lack of training doesn't count against the unit, as an untrained Asst. Scoutmaster would (most often this is where they are coded). SA (Asst. SM), while it seems reasonable, assumes that they are around, active and available to take training. 92U assumes they are in college, around only for summer and the odd trip now and again, and not all that available to take training.

                              Hope that helps. Brain is mildly fried, trying to get things wrapped up at work, and pack for my troop's week at summer camp. those are slightly incompatible.

                              YiS,
                              Marian McQuaid
                              Registrar
                              Boston Minuteman Council

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 6 7:55 PM
                                Marian, thank you. ~Rick

                                >________________________________

                              • ftooth
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 7 6:50 AM
                                  Blazing fast 300 baud.  Connected no doubt using an acoustic coupler - a black box into which you inserted the telephone receiver and pushed it into the rubber cups that surrounded the mouthpiece and earpiece.
                                  Frank

                                  >________________________________
                                  > From: Rick Pushies <rpushies@...>
                                  >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Internet Recharter
                                  >

                                  >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem%c2%a0
                                  >
                                  >My 300 baud modem (modulator - demodulator) attached to my Commodore 64 computer allowed me to communicate with Dave Tracewell's Starbase Scouting BBS back in the late 1980's.
                                  >
                                  >V92 is a CCITT modem standard. However I believe Mark was pulling our leg, just a little.
                                  >
                                  >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would. ;-)
                                  >
                                  >>________________________________

                                • Rick Pushies
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 7 8:03 AM
                                    No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem!  A serial cable to connect to the computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas so good to be young then!

                                    >________________________________

                                  • David Wildschuetz
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 7 9:28 AM
                                      I was sooooo glad to get that first 2400 US Robotics non-acoustical modem!
                                      After trying to deal with customer sites using that old Anderson-Jacobson
                                      acoustical 1200 baud modem using a phone with square-ended handset, it was a
                                      blessing. We even had a couple of sites that required a 300 baud modem. I
                                      could type faster than that.

                                      And whatever you did, do not sneeze when using one of those, or you get to see
                                      what a sneeze looks like on your screen.

                                      David Wildschuetz
                                      Scoutmaster, Troop 310
                                      http://bstroop1310.scoutlander.com

                                      ________________________________
                                      No acoustic coupler, I had the fancy modem! A serial cable to connect to the
                                      computer and a standard rj11 telephone jack to connect to the phone line. Twas
                                      so good to be young then!

                                      >________________________________

                                    • Don Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 7 12:34 PM
                                        I have not followed this thread but the U92/V92 could be important to unit
                                        leaders. Has that already been addressed?

                                        Don Wilson
                                        OHC 427

                                        >I still do not know what U92/V92 have to do with the Boy Scouts. It
                                        probably is not all that important for us to know, otherwise we would.
                                        ;-)
                                      • A. Dukovic
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 8 1:24 PM
                                          You all are missing the point here folks; both of these "positions" allow youth members that "age out" at 18 or so retain their tenure in Scouting without any additional "training" requirements other than YPT.

                                          A youth in a Troop that turns 18 is often retained as an ASM, which in many councils now, requires all the adult training to qualify; registering these youth in the Units as "reserve", allows them to stay involved when they're home, but does NOT drag down the Units training "stats" nor does it stop recharter for lack of training.

                                          It's a very valuable "option" for both Troops and Crews to have and was previously only available as an "option" under council charters>

                                          - Art

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 8 3:39 PM
                                            Absolutely correct, Art. If one has served as District Training Chairman
                                            trying to work out a way to encourage these young leaders to attend
                                            training with their busy schedules or on the Council Training Team trying
                                            to schedule training courses to fit college vacations or military leaves, this
                                            method of registering with YPT, which can be easily complete on-line, is a
                                            God-send, (well, National send). These positions have been available for a
                                            couple of years, and units are encouraged to make use of them. Remember
                                            the numbers, right or wrong.

                                            Don Wilson
                                            OHC 427

                                            To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com