RE: [Scouter_T] BALOO target audience

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      > Our post-course staff critique was focused on the detali we went into
      > and the length of some sessions. We seem to be having trouble
      > attracting the entry level leader BALOO was designed for. I am
      > curious of any of you have experienced the same thing.

      The three courses we've (Patriots' Path Council, NJ) run, have
      all been 'Council wide'. I'm not sure anyone attending
      was the targeted person (a newbe). If they ever do create
      the pack position for pack camping, as someone from national
      told us at our trainers breakfast at the beginning of this year,
      it may work itself out.

      Pete Mullaney
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Chris asked:
        > We seem to be having trouble attracting the entry level leader BALOO was
        designed for.

        ><snip> In the course of promoting this course, my conversations with Cubmasters
        and Committee Chairs elicited a silent groan from them at times. <snip> I
        explained to several that it was designed for the new parent like you would
        recruit a Pinewood Chair or Blue & Gold chair. Not an additional burden on
        existing leadership.

        > We'll now send this course to the Districts. How have you attracted the entry
        level people to come to this course?

        Chris,

        Your answer is in what you've already said above! Promote it to the existing
        leaders as a way to reduce their burden. Let them convince the parents in
        their pack to show up. There is no other way for you to reach the parents
        themselves unless you a) go to all the pack meetings in the district, or b)
        send mailers out to every family.

        Let them know that this is an "out" for them, if they can just convince a
        parent to take on the task!

        HTH,
        Sean
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
      • Jillscout@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2001
          Hey- Remeber the Parent Talent Survey. Did anyone check camping or outdoor?
          Ask them to attend the course and find out about doing "it" the BSA way. Give
          them the possibility of a job based on their interests. It might help! The
          object is to get different people to wear the hats so that you don't have to
          wear them all...