Re: [Scouter_T] Tip for teaching map reading

  • W FRITZ MAXWELL
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2012
      Very cool idea.

      ________________________________
      From: Thomas <minisinkbuffalo@...>
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, June 22, 2012 5:36:00 PM
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Tip for teaching map reading

      One of our local Scouters is involved with competitive orienteering. He helped
      teach an adult map and compass course and showed me a good idea.

      He used a good, detailed contour map of a local park where they do orienteering
      races. He marked 16 spots on the map. He went to those spots and took pictures.
      Each person, or group of persons, gets a copy of the map. He posted the numbered
      pictures on the walls around the room. Each person had to look at the pictures
      and put the number of the picture on the appropriate spot on the map. It makes
      the students actually think about what the differnet symbols on the map actually
      mean, and what you would see from that spot.

      For example, one of the pictures shows a trail, leaving a field, entering woods
      and crossing a small bridge over a stream. What would this look like? Can you
      picture it? Could you find that on a map? What if you were on the bridge looking
      back out into the field. What would it look like? Can you picture it? He would
      then have them find that spot on the map.

      Does it take work? Yes. Does it make the students think? Yes. It this a tool
      that helps? Yes.

      Tom R