Tip for teaching map reading

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2012
      One of our local Scouters is involved with competitive orienteering. He helped teach an adult map and compass course and showed me a good idea.

      He used a good, detailed contour map of a local park where they do orienteering races. He marked 16 spots on the map. He went to those spots and took pictures. Each person, or group of persons, gets a copy of the map. He posted the numbered pictures on the walls around the room. Each person had to look at the pictures and put the number of the picture on the appropriate spot on the map. It makes the students actually think about what the differnet symbols on the map actually mean, and what you would see from that spot.

      For example, one of the pictures shows a trail, leaving a field, entering woods and crossing a small bridge over a stream. What would this look like? Can you picture it? Could you find that on a map? What if you were on the bridge looking back out into the field. What would it look like? Can you picture it? He would then have them find that spot on the map.

      Does it take work? Yes. Does it make the students think? Yes. It this a tool that helps? Yes.

      Tom R
    • W FRITZ MAXWELL
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2012
        Very cool idea.