Re: [Scouter_T] Scouts and Sunscreen

  • David Wildschuetz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2012
      I was perusing through Yahoo today and came across a story on suntan lotion that
      reminded me of this thread.  They point out in the article, that the schools
      policy prohibiting teachers from applying lotion or allowing students from
      applying it themselves without a doctor's prescription is based on Washington
      state law.  The reasoning is that the FDA considers the lotion as an
      over-the-counter medication, and I know our school district requires a
      prescription for anything, including asprin.

      http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/kids-come-home-school-bad-sunburns-responsible-172200498.html

      So, it could be that the training staff that told the participants, as per the
      OPs question that started this thread, was referring to a situation like this,
      and not that it was a youth protection issue at all.

       David Wildschuetz
      Scoutmaster, Troop 310
      http://bstroop1310.scoutlander.com