Lensatic Compass (was:Five Mile Hike With Map and Compass)

  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 21, 2012
      Posted by: "Scouter Chuck" antelope95@... antelope95
      Tim Shea wrote:
      > You could have some real fun by NOT giving the adult the answers! 2-3 hrs
      > may jump to 5-6 hrs.

      Especially if the leader's compass is off by several degrees and they didn't know
      it.  That happened to me.  Worse than that, it was at Wood Badge, during the
      compass activity.  We were all wondering why I was always some distance from
      the others.

      I still have that compass, because it was my father's "GOOD" lensetic compass.
      I just don't use it anymore.

      But I sure was enbarrassed.  :/

      YiS,

      Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az.    -----    mailto:antelope95@...

      Many lensatic compasses allow you to rotate a bezel that adjusts for magnetic declination.  I have watched many a Soldier forget to check the map sheet for declination prior to striking out on the azimuth they measured only to find themselves off by a considerable margin after a kilometer or two of dead reckoning because they didn't adjust the bezel ring for magnetic declination.  They measured the azimuth based on true north and just went straight to the compass.  At Fort Lewis (Pacific Northwest) the declination is about 15 degrees.  That makes a BIG difference.

      That's one of the reasons I usually used IFR for land navigation courses in the Army (I Follow Roads).  Coupled with a little terrain association I was usually done before most others.

      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD), US Army (Ret)
      Leavenworth, KS, Fort Riley, KS
      Overtrained Scout Leader
      NRA Life Member and Marksmanship Instructor
      |<--<|---<<<| & Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
      I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
      And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06) (C-08-08)
      "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

    • Herb
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 21, 2012
        we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to have a map.
        herb d
        I used to be a beaver

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Hammond, Sr." <danhammondsr@...> wrote:

        > Posted by: "Scouter Chuck" antelope95@... antelope95
        > Tim Shea wrote:
        > > You could have some real fun by NOT giving the adult the answers! 2-3 hrs
        > > may jump to 5-6 hrs.

      • Joseph Jansen
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 21, 2012
          This thread provides a good example of what it means to "Be Prepared".
          Here one navigation method fails and another is backup. Conceivably both
          GPS and compass may fail and then you might fall back on using the stars or
          the sun to navigate.

          Joe Jansen
          On Jun 21, 2012 4:04 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had
          > to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble
          > dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he
          > understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't
          > have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That
          > worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he
          > got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to
          > have a map.
          > herb d
          > I used to be a beaver
          >
          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Hammond, Sr." <danhammondsr@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Posted by: "Scouter Chuck" antelope95@... antelope95
          > > Tim Shea wrote:
          > > > You could have some real fun by NOT giving the adult the answers! 2-3
          > hrs
          > > > may jump to 5-6 hrs.

        • Ernest Schmidt
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
            I find this comment to be untrue., #1 i am a retired Army , only 24 years Military , I am also a Military Scouter, I have done scouting all over the world while in the Army. Here's the untruth, The Lensatic compass is the main stay of the Army we have used it for years , But get this, It has NO i say No battery, so how could it go out. My Troop has dads from the 101st AirBorne Div in it, They are Infantry and 5th Special Forces Group and they still use the Lensatic Compasses matter of fact one of my dad's a Sargent just gave my Scouts a Map Reading class using Lensatic Compasses and Boy Scout Compasses. We did use a GPS too as part of the class, If you ask any one who has been in the theater the GPS does not work well with out a Satellite to shoot from. They also could not use their assigned new GPS because the battery went out fast so they ended up using the old compasses anyway. Something else we cannot as Scout Leaders dictate what compass to buy or
            use that is wrong. Each scout in my Troop get his own compass and learns to use it. If you teach him on your own and he moves or can't get one like that then he's lost. One last thing get your GPS wet and see what happens. 1SG (R) E. Schmidt, SM, Troop 516, "Bobwhite"

            ________________________________
            This thread provides a good example of what it means to "Be Prepared".
            Here one navigation method fails and another is backup.  Conceivably both
            GPS and compass may fail and then you might fall back on using the stars or
            the sun to navigate.

            Joe Jansen
            On Jun 21, 2012 4:04 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had
            > to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble
            > dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he
            > understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't
            > have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That
            > worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he
            > got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to
            > have a map.
            > herb d
            > I used to be a beaver
            >
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Hammond, Sr." <danhammondsr@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Posted by: "Scouter Chuck" antelope95@... antelope95
            > > Tim Shea wrote:
            > > > You could have some real fun by NOT giving the adult the answers! 2-3
            > hrs
            > > > may jump to 5-6 hrs.

          • Dan Hammond, Sr.
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
              Posted by: "Herb" hadulzo@... hadulzo
              Date: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm ((PDT))

              we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass.  I informed him had to use the same compass the boys would be using.  He had a lot of trouble dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he understood.  On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't have an address.  I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to have a map.
              herb d
              I  used to be a beaver

              I think you're confusing a lensatic compass with an electronic compass.  A lensatic compass has a portion that can be laid flat, folded up at a 90 degree angle, or closed to protect the cover, and a lever that can be adjusted to sight through the magnified portion for a more precise reading.  The "lid" has a slot with a wire in it that allows you to sight the azimuth through the lens, get it precisely lined up and then sight a landmark to designate the route.  No batteries involved.

              Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD), US Army (Ret)
              Leavenworth, KS, Fort Riley, KS
              Overtrained Scout Leader
              NRA Life Member and Marksmanship Instructor
              |<--<|---<<<| & Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
              I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
              And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06) (C-08-08)
              "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

            • ftooth
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                How does one use a lensatic compass to determine a direction bearing from point A to point B on a map?
                Frank

                >________________________________

              • Thomas Roberts
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                  I believe that the Scout Book shows a base plate compass because it is lighter, cheaper and easy for a beginner to use.  They usually have a variety of parts that can help the beginner.  Direction of Travel Arrow, ruler, various scales, magnifying glass.  For under $20 it is a good starter compass.

                  When training adults you are more likely to get a variety of different types of compasses.  As trainers it is a good idea to be familiar with several types.  When a Scout shows up with dad's "favorite" compass it is better to train him how to use it then to say that he needs a different type.  I keep a lensatic compass and a small ball compass with my map and compass training supplies.  You never know.

                  Be aware that the magnetic arrow can change magnetic field and point South under certain conditions.  If your compass is stored with Iron or steel it can happen.  Like with tent stakes?  I have one that this happened to that I use for training.  Mainly just as a demo.  I recently bought a baseplate compass to replace a broken one.  In the instruction book it warns about storing the compass with iron and why.

                  Tom R

                  ________________________________
                  How does one use a lensatic compass to determine a direction bearing from point A to point B on a map?
                  Frank

                  >________________________________

                • Ivan Hazelton
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 22, 2012
                    A picture is word... nevermind <
                    http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Navigation/Lensatic-Compass.gif >

                    -Ivan Hazelton

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 23, 2012
                      In IOLS classes I demonstrate and train with a see-through base plate compass.  That is the type used with map and compass work and the type described in the Boy Scout Handbook. I tell trainees to teach Scouts using the same type compass they read about in their book. Don't confuse a boy by introducing other types of compasses that do a poor job at the task.  An old lensatic compass might have been what the Army used, but young Scouts need to learn map and compass skills with the modern readily available base plate compasses used today and described in the Handbook.
                      Frank

                      >________________________________
                      > From: Thomas Roberts <minisinkbuffalo@...>
                      >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Lensatic Compass (was:Five Mile Hike With Map and Compass)
                      >

                      >I believe that the Scout Book shows a base plate compass because it is lighter, cheaper and easy for a beginner to use.  They usually have a variety of parts that can help the beginner.  Direction of Travel Arrow, ruler, various scales, magnifying glass.  For under $20 it is a good starter compass.

                      >When training adults you are more likely to get a variety of different types of compasses.  As trainers it is a good idea to be familiar with several types.  When a Scout shows up with dad's "favorite" compass it is better to train him how to use it then to say that he needs a different type.  I keep a lensatic compass and a small ball compass with my map and compass training supplies.  You never know.

                      >Be aware that the magnetic arrow can change magnetic field and point South under certain conditions.  If your compass is stored with Iron or steel it can happen.  Like with tent stakes?  I have one that this happened to that I use for training.  Mainly just as a demo.  I recently bought a baseplate compass to replace a broken one.  In the instruction book it warns about storing the compass with iron and why.

                      >Tom R
                      >
                      >________________________________

                    • Chris Clifton
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 23, 2012
                        You draw a straight line between two points, then you use the straight edge
                        along the base of the lensatic compass(the mil issue ones have a straight
                        edge engraved with distance scales) - rest of the process is the same. Many
                        look-alike lensatic type compasses do not have a straight edge on their
                        case, and as such, would be hard to draw a bearing.

                        I was an Infantry Scout (Recon) in the Army, and 25 years ago we did not
                        have much access to GPS ( I did use Slugger and Plugger models when they
                        came out). I can say that I could navigate just fine anywhere in the world
                        with a lensatic compass. I do admit I used a Silva Ranger as my backup-
                        still have it and use it to teach in my Troop.

                        Chris Clifton

                        11B

                        Owl

                        ASM

                        How does one use a lensatic compass to determine a direction bearing from
                        point A to point B on a map?
                        Frank

                        >________________________________

                      • DAVID
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 27, 2012
                          Have to wave the "BS" flag on this one.
                          Lensatic compasses DO NOT have batteries!

                          I teach our boys with the same lensatic compass I was issued as a young 2nd Lt in the Marine Corps in 1982. I carried it for more than 20 years in uniform and it still works great.

                          In fact, the company that makes the current GI models (Cammenga) has a special deal for Scout units to get the compasses from them and use for up to 60 days and then return or buy them at half price.
                          You put a $10 deposit each on them and they pay for the shipping to you.
                          You can find the details here:

                          http://www.scoutmastercg.com/2009/09/special-cammenga-lensatic-compass-offer-for-scouts/
                          Email for Cammenga is: info@...

                          I use several compasses in my class to show the boys how a bearing is a bearing is a bearing, no matter what compass they use.
                          Map and compass skills are easy.

                          DKPerdue

                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

                          > we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to have a map.
                          > herb d
                          > I used to be a beaver

                        • Herb
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                            It had a watch battery the illuminated the dial.

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID" <davidkperdue@...> wrote:

                            > Have to wave the "BS" flag on this one.
                            > Lensatic compasses DO NOT have batteries!
                            >
                            > I teach our boys with the same lensatic compass I was issued as a young 2nd Lt in the Marine Corps in 1982. I carried it for more than 20 years in uniform and it still works great.
                            >
                            > In fact, the company that makes the current GI models (Cammenga) has a special deal for Scout units to get the compasses from them and use for up to 60 days and then return or buy them at half price.
                            > You put a $10 deposit each on them and they pay for the shipping to you.
                            > You can find the details here:
                            >
                            > http://www.scoutmastercg.com/2009/09/special-cammenga-lensatic-compass-offer-for-scouts/
                            > Email for Cammenga is: info@...
                            >

                            > I use several compasses in my class to show the boys how a bearing is a bearing is a bearing, no matter what compass they use.
                            > Map and compass skills are easy.
                            >
                            > DKPerdue
                            >

                            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to have a map.
                            > > herb d
                            > > I used to be a beaver

                          • Ernest Schmidt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                              You'll have to show me that, not the same one i used from 1973 till 1997, There are imitations out there, but they never had a lighted dial as far as i know.At least lighted by a battery. I want to call on this one there was stuff now known as radioactive that lighted them. and it does not light the entire face only the needle points.

                              ________________________________

                              --- In mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com, "DAVID" <davidkperdue@...> wrote:

                              > Have to wave the "BS" flag on this one.
                              > Lensatic compasses DO NOT have batteries!
                              >
                              > I teach our boys with the same lensatic compass I was issued as a young 2nd Lt in the Marine Corps in 1982. I carried it for more than 20 years in uniform and it still works great.
                              >
                              > In fact, the company that makes the current GI models (Cammenga) has a special deal for Scout units to get the compasses from them and use for up to 60 days and then return or buy them at half price.
                              > You put a $10 deposit each on them and they pay for the shipping to you.
                              > You can find the details here:
                              >
                              > http://www.scoutmastercg.com/2009/09/special-cammenga-lensatic-compass-offer-for-scouts/
                              > Email for Cammenga is: info@...
                              >

                              > I use several compasses in my class to show the boys how a bearing is a bearing is a bearing, no matter what compass they use.
                              > Map and compass skills are easy.
                              >
                              > DKPerdue
                              >

                              > --- In mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hadulzo@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > we had a desert storm veteran using a lensatic compass. I informed him had to use the same compass the boys would be using. He had a lot of trouble dealing with that until the battery in his compass when out then he understood. On the subject we were headed to a camp out and realy didn't have an address. I got there and texted intersection to everyone. That worked fine for everyone but the who had AT&T and lost is signal once he got off the interstate. Naturally since he had a GPS he didn't think to have a map.
                              > > herb d
                              > > I used to be a beaver

                            • Red Dog
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                When I entered the Army in June 1950 I was trained on the U.S. M-1950
                                military lensatic compass. I, and the Army, were still using it when I
                                retired in October 1987. The one I was trained to use had the north end of
                                the needle ( as well as some points on the compass card) marked with
                                phosphorescent, photoluminescent, or some other self-luminous materials to
                                enable the compass to be read at night or in poor light. These points were
                                recharged by sunlight or artificial light when the compass was open.

                                Since 1992 a company by the name of Cammenga has held the contract to
                                manufacture the M-1950 military lensatic compass for the Army. They have
                                made several improvements to the M-1950 compass, one of which was to fit the
                                compass with self-luminous tritium vial lighting. It contain the radioactive
                                material tritium (3H) and a combination of phosphors. The purpose of the
                                tritium and phosphors is to provide illumination for the compass needle
                                point that does not require the compass to be ³recharged² by sunlight or
                                artificial light. Cammenga has named this their Model 3H.

                                I own one of Cammenga Model 3H, and it is the best lensatic compass I have
                                ever used. The numbers are easy to read; red for cardinal points, black for
                                Mils.

                                Both David and Ernest are correct in their statements.

                                Red Dog

                              • Ernest Schmidt
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                  Reddog thanks a lot i still use two of the older M-1950's we used them for our Compass class last week, I like a lot of the newer stiff but i always go back to the reliable one.

                                  ________________________________

                                  On 6/29/12 12:57 PM, "Ernest Schmidt" <mailto:eaglewarr7%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                                  > You'll have to show me that, not the same one i used from 1973 till 1997,
                                  > There are imitations out there, but they never had a lighted dial as far as i
                                  > know.At least lighted by a battery. I want to call on this one there was stuff
                                  > now known as radioactive that lighted them. and it does not light the entire
                                  > face only the needle points.
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • ftooth
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                    Where can a Tenderfoot Scout get one of those, and how much do they cost?
                                    Frank

                                  • Herb
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                      The guy that had it was a medic in dessert storm. Maybe it was something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aluminum-military-marching-lensatic-compass-w-1-red-led-flashlight-1-x-cr2025-115373

                                      Of course my orignial point here was not about the compass but using the right compass. Its much easier for boys to learn if they are using the same compass as the shown in the book. Just like when you took a math class and had a calculator that was not the same as the one in the text book. KISS

                                      Herb d

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Schmidt <eaglewarr7@...> wrote:

                                      > You'll have to show me that, not the same one i used from 1973 till 1997, There are imitations out there, but they never had a lighted dial as far as i know.At least lighted by a battery. I want to call on this one there was stuff now known as radioactive that lighted them. and it does not light the entire face only the needle points.
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Ernest Schmidt
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                        You need to check in your Army Navy Surplus store for them, ive seen them but they are costly, also go to this site they sell them on line. "Cammenga"

                                        ________________________________
                                        Where can a Tenderfoot Scout get one of those, and how much do they cost?
                                        Frank

                                        >________________________________
                                        > From: Ernest Schmidt <mailto:eaglewarr7%40yahoo.com>
                                        >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Batteries?? Re: Lensatic Compass (was:Five Mile Hike With Map and Compass)
                                        >

                                        >Reddog thanks a lot i still use two of the older M-1950's we used them for our Compass class last week, I like a lot of the newer stiff but i always go back to the reliable one.
                                        >
                                        >________________________________

                                      • Ernest Schmidt
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 29, 2012
                                          good point but the link is broken, cannot be found.

                                          ________________________________

                                          --- In mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com, Ernest Schmidt <eaglewarr7@...> wrote:

                                          > You'll have to show me that, not the same one i used from 1973 till 1997, There are imitations out there, but they never had a lighted dial as far as i know.At least lighted by a battery. I want to call on this one there was stuff now known as radioactive that lighted them. and it does not light the entire face only the needle points.
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Kevin Pate
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 30, 2012
                                            Ernest wrote:

                                            > good point but the link is broken, cannot be found.

                                            Herb's link worked in my browswer, but here is a shortened version of it, courtesy of tinyurl.com
                                            http://tinyurl.com/deal-extreme-lensactic-compass

                                            Hope that helps.

                                            Kevin in Norman, America
                                          • Red Dog
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 30, 2012
                                              Here is where I bought mine:

                                              http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Camping-Outdoor-Gear/Compasses-Commercial-GI/
                                              Genuine-Issue-Compass-Tritium/

                                              Red Dog

                                              On 6/29/12 10:39 PM, "ftooth" <ftooth@...> wrote:

                                              > Where can a Tenderfoot Scout get one of those, and how much do they cost?
                                              > Frank
                                              >

                                              >> ________________________________
                                              >> From: Ernest Schmidt <eaglewarr7@...>
                                              >> Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Batteries?? Re: Lensatic Compass (was:Five Mile Hike
                                              >> With Map and Compass)
                                              >>

                                              >> Reddog thanks a lot i still use two of the older M-1950's we used them for
                                              >> our Compass class last week, I like a lot of the newer stiff but i always go
                                              >> back to the reliable one.

                                            • Thomas Roberts
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 2, 2012
                                                I think that the question for the parents is - do you really wnat to buy a $59 or $89 compass for a boy who will probably lose it?

                                                If they lose a $10 compass, yes the parents will say something.  For $89 the volumn will go up considerably.  There is a lot of gear that the boys are less likely to lose that you can buy for the difference.

                                                Tom R