Cub Scout attending events without an adult/guardian

  • a.walz1998
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
      I need some help, at what age can Cub Scouts go to outings/events without a Parent or Guardian? I have a Leader (my Son's Wolf Leader) who told the parents in the Den they don't have to be with their Cub Scout anymore for meetings, outings & events.
    • Donald Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
        Cub Scouts (Wolfs and Bears) can go on day activities without their
        parents/guardian. Overnight (camping) activities requires a Cub Scout to have a
        parent or guardian along with him. Tiger Cubs require a parent
        or guardian for everything. Webelos can go camping with a parent approved adult
        (usually the Den Leader and another adult), though most Webelos go camping with
        a parent or guardian.

        Don Smith
        Cubmaster Pack 409

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
          The short answer and somewhat glib answer is "when they are Boy Scouts." But it really depends on the type of outing or event. Cub day camp generally have specific requirements that may be affected by local or state laws. Den meetings are usually drop and pick up. Pack meetings should be boys plus family. A good mental guide line that a leader should have is how much responsibility or legal liability do I want to subject myself to.

          Hank Voegtle
          Assistant District Commissioner

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
            Your den leader actually is correct. The only members of the pack who
            cannot participate without their own parent or legal guardian are Tiger
            Cubs. Also, at a pack overnighter an older cub must be with an adult who is
            specifically responsible for him, not just "with the group," although that
            adult does not have to be his parent or legal guardian.

            Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't even
            want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.

            Teresa Hall
            Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
            and other stuff of course
            Greater AL Council

            On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Hank Voegtle <hvoegtle@...>wrote:

            > The short answer and somewhat glib answer is "when they are Boy Scouts."
            > But it really depends on the type of outing or event. Cub day camp
            > generally have specific requirements that may be affected by local or state
            > laws. Den meetings are usually drop and pick up. Pack meetings should be
            > boys plus family. A good mental guide line that a leader should have is how
            > much responsibility or legal liability do I want to subject myself to.
            >
            > Hank Voegtle
            > Assistant District Commissioner

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
              <<Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't even
              want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.>>

              That depends on the den, the leader and whether assistant(s) are available. The BSA web site says:

              "May parents attend den meetings?
              Cub Scout den meetings are intended to be an activity for the individual boys. They are not a family activity, and the presence of parents can be a distraction. However, parental involvement is not forbidden and all meetings should be open to your participation. If you would like to be present at a den meeting, ask the den leader in advance so that the leader can plan a way for you to observe or participate in an unobtrusive manner,"

              http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/FAQS/program.aspx

              Notice - it says Cub Scout den meetings - while Tiger Cubs are Cub Scouts, the reference here is to Wolf and Bear Cub Scouts, which in Scouting language are always called 'Cub Scouts'. Tiger Cubs are referred to as Tiger Cubs and Webelos Cub Scouts or Webelos Scouts is the language used to refer to Cub Scouts in 4th and 5th grade (or 10 years old)

              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Cubmaster, Pack 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Troop Committee, Troop 509
              Ham Lake, MN
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              Three Rivers District

            • Teresa Hall
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                I would like to see in BSA print where is says that a Cub must be with
                their own parent or guardian on an overnighter. Can you show me, please? I
                posted differently and I hate being misinformed!

                Thanks,
                Teresa

                On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Donald Smith <dsmith@...> wrote:

                > Cub Scouts (Wolfs and Bears) can go on day activities without their
                > parents/guardian. Overnight (camping) activities requires a Cub Scout to
                > have a
                > parent or guardian along with him. Tiger Cubs require a parent
                > or guardian for everything. Webelos can go camping with a parent approved
                > adult
                > (usually the Den Leader and another adult), though most Webelos go camping
                > with
                > a parent or guardian.
                >
                > Don Smith
                > Cubmaster Pack 409
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Teresa Hall
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                  Thanks, Jamie! -- Teresa

                  On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                  > <<Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't
                  > even
                  > want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.>>
                  >
                  > That depends on the den, the leader and whether assistant(s) are
                  > available. The BSA web site says:
                  >
                  > "May parents attend den meetings?
                  > Cub Scout den meetings are intended to be an activity for the individual
                  > boys. They are not a family activity, and the presence of parents can be a
                  > distraction. However, parental involvement is not forbidden and all
                  > meetings should be open to your participation. If you would like to be
                  > present at a den meeting, ask the den leader in advance so that the leader
                  > can plan a way for you to observe or participate in an unobtrusive manner,"
                  >
                  > http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/FAQS/program.aspx
                  >
                  > Notice - it says Cub Scout den meetings - while Tiger Cubs are Cub Scouts,
                  > the reference here is to Wolf and Bear Cub Scouts, which in Scouting
                  > language are always called 'Cub Scouts'. Tiger Cubs are referred to as
                  > Tiger Cubs and Webelos Cub Scouts or Webelos Scouts is the language used to
                  > refer to Cub Scouts in 4th and 5th grade (or 10 years old)
                  >

                  > Jamie Niss Dunn
                  > Cubmaster, Pack 512
                  > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                  > Ham Lake, MN
                  > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  > Three Rivers District

                • Lisa
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                    Yes, this is the actual policy. I would ask parents of particularly difficult boys to please stay, but we really have to stop babying them. Girl Scouts don't need adults beyond required leadership for even their kindergarten program. Why do we treat Bius as such difficult creatures that they can't be without a parent for an hour or two. Two deep leadership is a must, and at least one adult for every 10 kids.

                    Lisa
                    Sent from my iPod

                    On Jun 13, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Teresa Hall <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                    > Your den leader actually is correct. The only members of the pack who
                    > cannot participate without their own parent or legal guardian are Tiger
                    > Cubs. Also, at a pack overnighter an older cub must be with an adult who is
                    > specifically responsible for him, not just "with the group," although that
                    > adult does not have to be his parent or legal guardian.
                    >
                    > Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't even
                    > want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.
                    >
                    > Teresa Hall
                    > Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                    > and other stuff of course
                    > Greater AL Council
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Hank Voegtle <hvoegtle@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > The short answer and somewhat glib answer is "when they are Boy Scouts."
                    > > But it really depends on the type of outing or event. Cub day camp
                    > > generally have specific requirements that may be affected by local or state
                    > > laws. Den meetings are usually drop and pick up. Pack meetings should be
                    > > boys plus family. A good mental guide line that a leader should have is how
                    > > much responsibility or legal liability do I want to subject myself to.
                    > >
                    > > Hank Voegtle
                    > > Assistant District Commissioner

                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                      I agree, Jamie. I want the parents to leave. Unless they're there to help, of course. Parents chatting in the back or hovering over junior or doing a 9 year olds project with him are not what scouting is about. A third grade teacher can have 25 kids in her class all day be herself, but two trained adults can't handle 8 of them for an hour? We deserve more credit and so do the boys.

                      A difficult kid may need a parent there. A trip will require more parents for rides plus they may want to attend the attraction as well, bur required? No.

                      Lisa
                      Sent from my iPod

                      On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                      > <<Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't even
                      > want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.>>
                      >
                      > That depends on the den, the leader and whether assistant(s) are available. The BSA web site says:
                      >
                      > "May parents attend den meetings?
                      > Cub Scout den meetings are intended to be an activity for the individual boys. They are not a family activity, and the presence of parents can be a distraction. However, parental involvement is not forbidden and all meetings should be open to your participation. If you would like to be present at a den meeting, ask the den leader in advance so that the leader can plan a way for you to observe or participate in an unobtrusive manner,"
                      >
                      > http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/FAQS/program.aspx
                      >
                      > Notice - it says Cub Scout den meetings - while Tiger Cubs are Cub Scouts, the reference here is to Wolf and Bear Cub Scouts, which in Scouting language are always called 'Cub Scouts'. Tiger Cubs are referred to as Tiger Cubs and Webelos Cub Scouts or Webelos Scouts is the language used to refer to Cub Scouts in 4th and 5th grade (or 10 years old)
                      >
                      > Jamie Niss Dunn
                      > Cubmaster, Pack 512
                      > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      > Troop Committee, Troop 509
                      > Ham Lake, MN
                      > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      > Three Rivers District

                    • gerrymoon32817
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                        I'd point out that while the Cub Scout does not need a parent at a camping overnighter, but does need an "adult in charge" of him, that "adult in charge" cannot share his tent with the Cub Scout unless he's "legal" - a parent or legal guardian. This is where the YP rubber meets the road.

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Hall <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                        > Your den leader actually is correct. The only members of the pack who
                        > cannot participate without their own parent or legal guardian are Tiger
                        > Cubs. Also, at a pack overnighter an older cub must be with an adult who is
                        > specifically responsible for him, not just "with the group," although that
                        > adult does not have to be his parent or legal guardian.
                        >
                        > Of course the more parents the better at any event, always. You don't even
                        > want den meetings to be "drop off and pick up" if you can help it.
                        >
                        > Teresa Hall
                        > Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
                        > and other stuff of course
                        > Greater AL Council
                        >

                        > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Hank Voegtle <hvoegtle@...>wrote:
                        >
                        > > The short answer and somewhat glib answer is "when they are Boy Scouts."
                        > > But it really depends on the type of outing or event. Cub day camp
                        > > generally have specific requirements that may be affected by local or state
                        > > laws. Den meetings are usually drop and pick up. Pack meetings should be
                        > > boys plus family. A good mental guide line that a leader should have is how
                        > > much responsibility or legal liability do I want to subject myself to.
                        > >
                        > > Hank Voegtle
                        > > Assistant District Commissioner

                      • Donald Smith
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 13, 2012
                          I stand corrected, on page 16 of the GSS under pack overnighters:
                          "In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision

                          ________________________________
                          I would like to see in BSA print where is says that a Cub must be with
                          their own parent or guardian on an overnighter. Can you show me, please? I
                          posted differently and I hate being misinformed!

                          Thanks,
                          Teresa

                          On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Donald Smith <dsmith@...> wrote:

                          > Cub Scouts (Wolfs and Bears) can go on day activities without their
                          > parents/guardian. Overnight (camping) activities requires a Cub Scout to
                          > have a
                          > parent or guardian along with him. Tiger Cubs require a parent
                          > or guardian for everything. Webelos can go camping with a parent approved
                          > adult
                          > (usually the Den Leader and another adult), though most Webelos go camping
                          > with
                          > a parent or guardian.
                          >
                          > Don Smith
                          > Cubmaster Pack 409
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • B H
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                            This is actually inaccurate.

                            Tiger Cubs cannot participate without their Adult Partner.

                            That Adult Partner does not have to be a parent or legal guardian. It can be anyone over the age of 18 that the parent has approved.

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Teresa Hall <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                            > The only members of the pack who
                            > cannot participate without their own parent or legal guardian are Tiger
                            > Cubs.
                          • Lisa Titus
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 14, 2012
                              On 06/15/2012 1:22 AM, B H wrote:
                              > This is actually inaccurate.
                              >
                              > Tiger Cubs cannot participate without their Adult Partner.
                              >
                              > That Adult Partner does not have to be a parent or legal guardian. It can be anyone over the age of 18 that the parent has approved.

                              But if it's NOT a parent or legal guardian, as I understand it - they
                              have to fill out the complete adult application - not just the bottom of
                              the youth app.

                              Lisa Titus
                              CM Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                              ASM Troop 459 http://www.troop459.us
                              I used to be a Bear ... NE-I-250
                              I used to be a Staffer ... NE-I-272 & N1-330-12-1

                            • B H
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                A separate adult application is only needed if the Adult Partner does not live at the same address as the Tiger.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                  Whoops, I wish I could edit!

                                  The AP (living at same address) would fill in their info in the bottom of the youth application. Under "select relationship", the AP would fill in the appropriate radio button (Grandparent - Other/specify).

                                  The parents signature at the bottom of the application signifies their approval of the Adult Partner.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                    So ... Mom's live-in boyfriend who lives at the same address only fills
                                    out the bottom portion?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 15, 2012
                                      Yep! According to BSA, and their Youth Application.