Cub Scout Camping Ratios

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2001
      Can someone give me the chapter and verse regarding ratios of Adults to
      Cub Scouts camping?

      I know that ALL Tiger Cub activities require a 1:1 ratio.

      I was under the impression that for authorized Pack Camping that the
      ratio be 1:1.

      I understand that councils can waive 1:l for District and Council
      camping events, especially at council managed property.

      Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I'm believing that the 1:1 ratio
      applies to Cubs and Webelos Camping. Yet, in my copies of G2SS, Cub
      Scout/Webelos Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines (#13-631) as well as my
      1998 printing of 34415A from the National Health & Safety Committee - I
      can find NO specific statement of policy. A reference is also made to
      chapter 7 of the Cub Scout Leader book - I do not have a copy.

      I also have a copy of a letter, Dec 1, 1999, from Brad Farmer (director
      Cub Scout Division, Irving, TX).
      That letter states - Adult/Boy Ratios: In two areas, wording strictly
      defining the adult/boy ratio for Webelos den and pack camping has been
      softened to state, "In most cases, the youth member will be under the
      supervision of a parent or guardian." It is still the intent that Cub
      Scout camping activities have a high degree of parent involvement.
      Coucils continue to have the latitude to set the ratio of parents to boy
      based on the scope and type of the event.

      Hmmm, I guess that last sentence answers my question.

      How do your councils handle the situation?

      Lloyd