RE: [Scouter_T] BSA Training card template

  • Sean Waiss - AOL
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2012
      Carol-

      Word of warning for you. I use templates for many of the
      BSA cardstock for Cub Scouts, and found that the templates available did not
      line up with how my printer actually printed the information. I struggled
      with this for a while, but finally figured out that I could scan the card
      stock as an image, using the same printer, and then add form fields (using
      Adobe Acrobat, but Word should work as well) for where I wanted to actually
      fill in data like names, dates, etc. When I wanted to print the cards I
      would simply specify to print the form information only and it would spit
      out the fully completed cards for me. I guess what I'm getting at is that
      not all printers will work with templates from other sources. Be prepared
      for that, maybe making necessary changes to the form layout, and you might
      be able to make it work for you.

      Sean A. Waiss

      Sturtevant, WI 53177

      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2012
        I have developed for my District use my own templates for BSA training cards.

        1. First I did a high-res scan of a current, blank, signed training card with the current signature of our Scout Executive. I then placed the scan into a MS Word template based on the Avery "White Two-Side Printable Clean Edge Business Cards (10 cards per sheet, link to template ). Once I had the template right for my printer (yes, tweaks are required), I saved the template into Adobe PDF format. Note that I used TWO (2) templates, one for the front (signed) side, one for the back side (with the silly, "Scouting family" image).

        2. The next step was to convert the two page PDF document into an Adobe Acrobat fillable form. I use CutePDF Pro, a cheap ($50) tool for manipulating PDF documents. (See: http://www.cutepdf.com ). In about 30 minutes, I have a form that:

        • allows single entry for the course name (automatically copied across all ten cards in the template - use the same form element name)
        • hard-coded council name
        • allows single entry for the course date
        • allows single entry (card-by-card) of the participant name

        Printing Process

        • First I print the back-side cards (10 at a time, per sheet) X the number of sheets needed
        • Then I fill out (copying one-by-one from the course roster already completed before the course) and print the front side, 10 cards/sheet
        • I then print sufficient blank ( participant name left empty) cards to handle on-site registrations

        This process works great for our position-specific training and ITOLS (IOLS) courses.

        Email me offline if you want the MS Word template. I cannot share the PDF template as it has our SE's signature.

        ---
        Jim & Chris Rooney
        10138 Granite Hill Drive, Parker CO 80134
        h: 720-842-1627
        I need to find a template for the BSA training cards so I an work on the cards for the University of Scouting classes that we give cards for that need them. Does anyone have a template for that style card? I can make one but if there is one available then I won't reenvent the wheel. Thanks, Carol Little

      • Rick Hanke
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2012
          would like to have a copy of your template.

          rick_hanke@...