Re:Urban legends, Handling meds

  • eaglemom53
    Message 1 of 29 , May 4, 2012
      My son never had to worry about his appetite being suppressed. Perhaps that had something to do with him not starting on medication until he was 14, and already in the "crazed hunger-man" thing! And I can think of plenty of places in a camp where I wouldn't want a boy with poor impulse control....rock climbing, shooting sports, the waterfront, to just name a few. Even on his meds, Sam managed to cut his finger badly enough to need stitches. But, bless the camp staff's hearts, they stuck with him, and he earned all the merit badges he was working on, including Rifle Shooting (not too hard), and Swimming (they ductaped a plastic bag around his hand).

      As far as insomnia goes, there are some medications like Strattera that aren't stimulants, which helps at night.

      Lucinda
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 29 , May 6, 2012
        Chiming in on this thread, again.

        The medication vacation as a treatment plan was something
        that was popular in the 80's, I believe. Unfortunately,
        while most doctors and psychologists no longer believe in
        it, once it's been published, it will get on the Internet,
        where it _never_ goes away.

        We now know that the medication vacation is not good for
        the kid or his associates, but some parents and medical
        staff still haven't heard that. A number of parent's
        I've seen prefer no treatment to "poisoning their kid
        with chemicals" for just being an "active boy".

        There is also a growing school of thought that, in spite
        of all the evidense to the contrary, ADD or ADHD are
        imaginary problems made up by "big pharma" to sell more
        meds to people. That attitude doesn't help the child,
        the adults, or the unit.

        A lot of this may come into play in situations of
        divorce, when one parent treats the kid for a problem
        the other can't or won't see.

        Now, for the kid refusing to take the meds on campout or
        summer camp, I have noticed that more often than not,
        such a kid is in the range when taking these meds is
        somthing less than "cool". This may also be related to
        some aspects of bullying, where the fact the kid is taking
        meds makes him a target of some of the others, no matter
        how much anti-bullying they get at school or elsewhere.

        One other thought. At a certain point in puberty, and
        it's quite variable, the hormones kick in and upset the
        delicate balance that has been in effect for several
        years. Things can get really interesting until the
        _new_ treatment plan is determined.

        Just a $0.02 rant.

        YiS,

        Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        District Committee Member at Large
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • Thomas Roberts
        Message 3 of 29 , May 8, 2012
          I had (have 1 still on) 3 sons on ADD meds.  When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated, our previous Pediatric Neurologist was no longer taking our insurance.  We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected.  Her first comments were about limiting meds and trying different approaches.  Several of which we had tried and failed, with the oldest son.  That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".   By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed the medication."

          I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent refuse to believe there is a problem.

          Tom R

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 29 , May 8, 2012
            Thomas Roberts wrote:

            [Edited for slight brevity]
            > ... When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated,
            > ... We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected. Her first
            > comments were about limiting meds and trying different
            > approaches. Several of which we had tried and failed, with
            > the oldest son.

            ADD, or more properly ADHD-Inattentive Type, is _highly_
            individualized. What works for one brother may not work for
            the other. I'm not saying that these would have worked, but
            some of them could have. It's the same for _all_ forms of
            ADHD.

            Your experience is like the parents who finally agree to
            medicate their child, only to have him/her turn into a
            "zombie". So, after that experience, they never allow or
            try meds again. In reality, what their child got was most
            likely the wrong med, and/or at the wrong dose.

            > That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".
            > By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though
            > she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed
            > the medication."

            Any doctor who treats ADHD professionally, and doesn't
            believe in medication for children, is not one that I would
            recommend or send a child to. Most parents of ADHD kids that
            I know would literally give up their right arm if they could
            get a _reliable_ treatment for their child's ADHD, that
            didn't require medications.

            Even Strattera is dangerous, in the same way that cholesterol
            meds are dangerous, because of the potential that they can
            build up in the liver and damage it.

            > I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds
            > either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid
            > who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent
            > refuse to believe there is a problem.

            Ain't that the truth.

            YiS,

            Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            District Committee Member at Large
            -- Stephen R. Covey
          • Herb
            Message 5 of 29 , May 11, 2012
              My oldest son was ADHD. The school tried to pigeon hole his brothers in to that diagnosis. It was obvious to me niether was like their older brother. Anyway my point is sometimes it is the parents and teachers that need medication to show more patience and understanding rather than use the broad brush to cover up their inability to cope.

              Herb d