Re: [Scouter_T] Re:Urban legends, Handling meds

  • Corinna Jones
    Message 1 of 29 , May 4, 2012
      It's definitely worth the $$, and I assume they would be in camp a couple of
      days to get used to the elevation before being out on the trek.

      Message 2 of 29 , May 4, 2012
        Of course overnite was my first thought. Long story but this dad was a
        product of the 60s and his elevator didn't quite make it to the top floor,
        you know, a few cards short of a full deck, not the sharpest knife in the
        drawer..

        I found out on day 3 or 4 on the trail when junior had a meltdown.

        I'll save you the gory details but the dad & lad were instructed to bring up
        the rear and to just maintain visibility of the "last" Scout in line in
        front of them. The other Scouts did not want anything to do with the two and
        neither did the adults on the trip. This guy has a long history of being,
        shall we say a non-conformist, non-team player.

        Made for a interesting fun week!

        Message 3 of 29 , May 4, 2012
          Depending on when you arrive at the ranch, it is a really quick turn around between arriving and stepping off. One day and two nights. But they are so incredible about getting stuff to scouts on the trail. One of my guys had his boots explode and we got some delivered on hroseback!!

          Connie

          --- On Fri, 5/4/12, Corinna Jones <corinnajones@...> wrote:

          It's definitely worth the $$, and I assume they would be in camp a couple of
          days to get used to the elevation before being out on the trek.

        • eaglemom53
          Message 4 of 29 , May 4, 2012
            My son never had to worry about his appetite being suppressed. Perhaps that had something to do with him not starting on medication until he was 14, and already in the "crazed hunger-man" thing! And I can think of plenty of places in a camp where I wouldn't want a boy with poor impulse control....rock climbing, shooting sports, the waterfront, to just name a few. Even on his meds, Sam managed to cut his finger badly enough to need stitches. But, bless the camp staff's hearts, they stuck with him, and he earned all the merit badges he was working on, including Rifle Shooting (not too hard), and Swimming (they ductaped a plastic bag around his hand).

            As far as insomnia goes, there are some medications like Strattera that aren't stimulants, which helps at night.

            Lucinda
          • Scouter Chuck
            Message 5 of 29 , May 6, 2012
              Chiming in on this thread, again.

              The medication vacation as a treatment plan was something
              that was popular in the 80's, I believe. Unfortunately,
              while most doctors and psychologists no longer believe in
              it, once it's been published, it will get on the Internet,
              where it _never_ goes away.

              We now know that the medication vacation is not good for
              the kid or his associates, but some parents and medical
              staff still haven't heard that. A number of parent's
              I've seen prefer no treatment to "poisoning their kid
              with chemicals" for just being an "active boy".

              There is also a growing school of thought that, in spite
              of all the evidense to the contrary, ADD or ADHD are
              imaginary problems made up by "big pharma" to sell more
              meds to people. That attitude doesn't help the child,
              the adults, or the unit.

              A lot of this may come into play in situations of
              divorce, when one parent treats the kid for a problem
              the other can't or won't see.

              Now, for the kid refusing to take the meds on campout or
              summer camp, I have noticed that more often than not,
              such a kid is in the range when taking these meds is
              somthing less than "cool". This may also be related to
              some aspects of bullying, where the fact the kid is taking
              meds makes him a target of some of the others, no matter
              how much anti-bullying they get at school or elsewhere.

              One other thought. At a certain point in puberty, and
              it's quite variable, the hormones kick in and upset the
              delicate balance that has been in effect for several
              years. Things can get really interesting until the
              _new_ treatment plan is determined.

              Just a $0.02 rant.

              YiS,

              Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
              I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
              District Committee Member at Large
              -- Stephen R. Covey
            • Thomas Roberts
              Message 6 of 29 , May 8, 2012
                I had (have 1 still on) 3 sons on ADD meds.  When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated, our previous Pediatric Neurologist was no longer taking our insurance.  We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected.  Her first comments were about limiting meds and trying different approaches.  Several of which we had tried and failed, with the oldest son.  That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".   By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed the medication."

                I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent refuse to believe there is a problem.

                Tom R

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 29 , May 8, 2012
                  Thomas Roberts wrote:

                  [Edited for slight brevity]
                  > ... When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated,
                  > ... We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected. Her first
                  > comments were about limiting meds and trying different
                  > approaches. Several of which we had tried and failed, with
                  > the oldest son.

                  ADD, or more properly ADHD-Inattentive Type, is _highly_
                  individualized. What works for one brother may not work for
                  the other. I'm not saying that these would have worked, but
                  some of them could have. It's the same for _all_ forms of
                  ADHD.

                  Your experience is like the parents who finally agree to
                  medicate their child, only to have him/her turn into a
                  "zombie". So, after that experience, they never allow or
                  try meds again. In reality, what their child got was most
                  likely the wrong med, and/or at the wrong dose.

                  > That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".
                  > By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though
                  > she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed
                  > the medication."

                  Any doctor who treats ADHD professionally, and doesn't
                  believe in medication for children, is not one that I would
                  recommend or send a child to. Most parents of ADHD kids that
                  I know would literally give up their right arm if they could
                  get a _reliable_ treatment for their child's ADHD, that
                  didn't require medications.

                  Even Strattera is dangerous, in the same way that cholesterol
                  meds are dangerous, because of the potential that they can
                  build up in the liver and damage it.

                  > I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds
                  > either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid
                  > who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent
                  > refuse to believe there is a problem.

                  Ain't that the truth.

                  YiS,

                  Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
                  I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                  District Committee Member at Large
                  -- Stephen R. Covey
                • Herb
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 11, 2012
                    My oldest son was ADHD. The school tried to pigeon hole his brothers in to that diagnosis. It was obvious to me niether was like their older brother. Anyway my point is sometimes it is the parents and teachers that need medication to show more patience and understanding rather than use the broad brush to cover up their inability to cope.

                    Herb d