Re: [Scouter_T] Re:Urban legends, Handling meds

  • Corinna Jones
    Message 1 of 29 , May 3, 2012
      You share my husband's pain. Summer camp, the way it runs now, is very
      structured. There was a reason the scout was put on the meds. Completing
      merit badges, doing their part at the campsite (our camp has patrol
      cooking), and behaving appropriately seem to go by the wayside with these
      boys. It's just plain not acceptable, but needs to be told to the parents,
      because many are oblivious.

      Corinna

      Message 2 of 29 , May 3, 2012
        I think, if it ever falls within my scope, that I would insist that a boy who needs meds during the school year needs his meds on Scout outings. Thus, he takes his meds, or a parent comes along. It's grossly unfair to the leaders and other boys to stick them with dealing with a kid who's impossible to manage because he's taking a medication break. That kid doesn't have any business detracting from someone else's experience at camp.

        But, I'm working with a Venturing Crew now, and we don't have any of that just now.

        Lynn Thomas

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corinna Jones" <corinnajones@...> wrote:

        > You share my husband's pain. Summer camp, the way it runs now, is very
        > structured. There was a reason the scout was put on the meds. Completing
        > merit badges, doing their part at the campsite (our camp has patrol
        > cooking), and behaving appropriately seem to go by the wayside with these
        > boys. It's just plain not acceptable, but needs to be told to the parents,
        > because many are oblivious.
        >
        > Corinna

      • eaglemom53
        Message 3 of 29 , May 4, 2012
          To me, taking a "med break" for ADHD is as ridiculous as a person who is diabetic taking an "insulin break". As my son with ADD put it when his doctor told him he didn't have to take his Adderall on the weekends - "Now why would I want to act dumb on the weekends?!?"

          Lucinda in VA
        • Thomas Roberts
          Message 4 of 29 , May 4, 2012
            Lucinda,
             Part of the problem with all of the ADD meds is that they suppress appetite.  For some kids this can cause of a problem of low body weight and delayed development.  Most kids may make this up later in their teens.  I had 3 of 4 sons with ADD.  The doctor said the same to us.  Even more than being "dumb" on the weekends and school vacations is the hassle for us.  Who wants to deal with the lack of impulse control and resulting attitudes when we are dealing with them on the weekends.

            Our kids have all been very active in both Scouts and sports.  If a kid has a Scout event then I want the kid on his meds, mine or someone else’s.  If they have a sport or school event then the kid needs to be focused to keep up with the action.

            A bigger problem for Scouters is that the ADD meds can leave the youth with insomnia.  Then they need to take melatonin or some other remedy before bedtime or you may find the boy wandering the campsite at 1 or 2 AM.  (Melatonin is a non-narcotic remedy that replaces naturally occurring melatonin that may be missing in some ADD children.)

            Tom R
            Scouter in NY State

            ________________________________
            To me, taking a "med break" for ADHD is as ridiculous as a person who is diabetic taking an "insulin break". As my son with ADD put it when his doctor told him he didn't have to take his Adderall on the weekends - "Now why would I want to act dumb on the weekends?!?"

            Lucinda in VA

          • Tim Shea
            Message 5 of 29 , May 4, 2012
              Ha ha ha-Summer camp? Try Philmont! 13 days with a kid and his dad who
              didn't think to bring the meds..

              Aahhh. The old "let's take the required break from ADHD meds while Johnny is
              at Summer Camp" trick. Had it happen a couple of times. Never fun,
              especially when they don't let the leaders know their boy is ADHD and on
              meds in the first place. Johnny goes berserk and no one can figure out why
              until they have him packed up and ready to go home early.

              Re: Urban legends, Handling meds
              Posted by: "Connie Knie" cknie23100@...
              <mailto:cknie23100%40sbcglobal.net> connie_knie
              Date: Wed May 2, 2012 12:02 pm ((PDT))

              I guess what I really don't understand is the mentality of parents who just
              don't stop and think and do what is best for their children. And not just in
              scouting.......

              Connie

              --- On Tue, 5/1/12, A. Dukovic <artdukovic@...
              <mailto:artdukovic%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

              Thanks for getting back to me and yes, meds are always gonna be a problem
              for "volunteers"; as for your latter issue, if a youth needs his meds, but
              refuses, then it's time a parent gets involved and maybe attend events with
              the boy, something you CAN easily require.

              We've also run into parents that stop meds for some youth with ADHD issues,

              Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD), US Army (Ret)
              Leavenworth, KS, Fort Riley, KS
              Overtrained Scout Leader

            • Corinna Jones
              Message 6 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                Overnight them...

                Message 7 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                  <<Overnight them...>>

                  Yeah - that was my first thought. This would have been a situation where I would have had the medical staff at Philmont get the meds sent in and delivered to the unit, perhaps at one of their visits to a staffed camp location.

                  Jamie Niss Dunn
                  Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  Troop Committee, Troop 509
                  Ham Lake, MN
                  Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  Three Rivers District

                • Corinna Jones
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                    It's definitely worth the $$, and I assume they would be in camp a couple of
                    days to get used to the elevation before being out on the trek.

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                      Of course overnite was my first thought. Long story but this dad was a
                      product of the 60s and his elevator didn't quite make it to the top floor,
                      you know, a few cards short of a full deck, not the sharpest knife in the
                      drawer..

                      I found out on day 3 or 4 on the trail when junior had a meltdown.

                      I'll save you the gory details but the dad & lad were instructed to bring up
                      the rear and to just maintain visibility of the "last" Scout in line in
                      front of them. The other Scouts did not want anything to do with the two and
                      neither did the adults on the trip. This guy has a long history of being,
                      shall we say a non-conformist, non-team player.

                      Made for a interesting fun week!

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                        Depending on when you arrive at the ranch, it is a really quick turn around between arriving and stepping off. One day and two nights. But they are so incredible about getting stuff to scouts on the trail. One of my guys had his boots explode and we got some delivered on hroseback!!

                        Connie

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 4, 2012
                          My son never had to worry about his appetite being suppressed. Perhaps that had something to do with him not starting on medication until he was 14, and already in the "crazed hunger-man" thing! And I can think of plenty of places in a camp where I wouldn't want a boy with poor impulse control....rock climbing, shooting sports, the waterfront, to just name a few. Even on his meds, Sam managed to cut his finger badly enough to need stitches. But, bless the camp staff's hearts, they stuck with him, and he earned all the merit badges he was working on, including Rifle Shooting (not too hard), and Swimming (they ductaped a plastic bag around his hand).

                          As far as insomnia goes, there are some medications like Strattera that aren't stimulants, which helps at night.

                          Lucinda
                        • Scouter Chuck
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 6, 2012
                            Chiming in on this thread, again.

                            The medication vacation as a treatment plan was something
                            that was popular in the 80's, I believe. Unfortunately,
                            while most doctors and psychologists no longer believe in
                            it, once it's been published, it will get on the Internet,
                            where it _never_ goes away.

                            We now know that the medication vacation is not good for
                            the kid or his associates, but some parents and medical
                            staff still haven't heard that. A number of parent's
                            I've seen prefer no treatment to "poisoning their kid
                            with chemicals" for just being an "active boy".

                            There is also a growing school of thought that, in spite
                            of all the evidense to the contrary, ADD or ADHD are
                            imaginary problems made up by "big pharma" to sell more
                            meds to people. That attitude doesn't help the child,
                            the adults, or the unit.

                            A lot of this may come into play in situations of
                            divorce, when one parent treats the kid for a problem
                            the other can't or won't see.

                            Now, for the kid refusing to take the meds on campout or
                            summer camp, I have noticed that more often than not,
                            such a kid is in the range when taking these meds is
                            somthing less than "cool". This may also be related to
                            some aspects of bullying, where the fact the kid is taking
                            meds makes him a target of some of the others, no matter
                            how much anti-bullying they get at school or elsewhere.

                            One other thought. At a certain point in puberty, and
                            it's quite variable, the hormones kick in and upset the
                            delicate balance that has been in effect for several
                            years. Things can get really interesting until the
                            _new_ treatment plan is determined.

                            Just a $0.02 rant.

                            YiS,

                            Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
                            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                            District Committee Member at Large
                            -- Stephen R. Covey
                          • Thomas Roberts
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 8, 2012
                              I had (have 1 still on) 3 sons on ADD meds.  When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated, our previous Pediatric Neurologist was no longer taking our insurance.  We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected.  Her first comments were about limiting meds and trying different approaches.  Several of which we had tried and failed, with the oldest son.  That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".   By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed the medication."

                              I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent refuse to believe there is a problem.

                              Tom R

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 8, 2012
                                Thomas Roberts wrote:

                                [Edited for slight brevity]
                                > ... When it was time to have the 2nd diagnosed and treated,
                                > ... We went to a new Dr wh is highly respected. Her first
                                > comments were about limiting meds and trying different
                                > approaches. Several of which we had tried and failed, with
                                > the oldest son.

                                ADD, or more properly ADHD-Inattentive Type, is _highly_
                                individualized. What works for one brother may not work for
                                the other. I'm not saying that these would have worked, but
                                some of them could have. It's the same for _all_ forms of
                                ADHD.

                                Your experience is like the parents who finally agree to
                                medicate their child, only to have him/her turn into a
                                "zombie". So, after that experience, they never allow or
                                try meds again. In reality, what their child got was most
                                likely the wrong med, and/or at the wrong dose.

                                > That was one of those days when my son was "off the wall".
                                > By the end of that visit the Dr said that "even though
                                > she doesn't believe in medicating children, my son needed
                                > the medication."

                                Any doctor who treats ADHD professionally, and doesn't
                                believe in medication for children, is not one that I would
                                recommend or send a child to. Most parents of ADHD kids that
                                I know would literally give up their right arm if they could
                                get a _reliable_ treatment for their child's ADHD, that
                                didn't require medications.

                                Even Strattera is dangerous, in the same way that cholesterol
                                meds are dangerous, because of the potential that they can
                                build up in the liver and damage it.

                                > I have found that many of the ones who are against ADD meds
                                > either do not have a child with this illness, or have a kid
                                > who we all agree needs the medication badly, but the parent
                                > refuse to believe there is a problem.

                                Ain't that the truth.

                                YiS,

                                Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. -- mailto:antelope95@...
                                I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                                District Committee Member at Large
                                -- Stephen R. Covey
                              • Herb
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 11, 2012
                                  My oldest son was ADHD. The school tried to pigeon hole his brothers in to that diagnosis. It was obvious to me niether was like their older brother. Anyway my point is sometimes it is the parents and teachers that need medication to show more patience and understanding rather than use the broad brush to cover up their inability to cope.

                                  Herb d