Re: [Scouter_T] Has anybody done a training on working with mental & emotional disabilities?

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
      I tried to do such a training, on ADHD, at our University
      of Scouting several years ago. Out of 150-200 attendees,
      I had _1_ single leader who was interested. The next
      year, the course was removed (not by me) because of the
      lack of attendance.

      Also, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

      > There is a supplemental training presentation on working
      > with Scouts who have ADHD:
      > http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
      > http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc
      >
      > Some of the info in there could be adapted to other
      > intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

      I haven't looked at those, yet, but I saw one some time
      ago that was from a Council in either WI or MN. The info
      was good, at the time, but I know for a fact that the info
      at that time is now "woefully" out of date. When dealing
      with ADD (now called ADHD, Inattentive type) or ADHD,
      hyperactive type, make sure that the info is _current_
      with the latest "best practices". It's amazing how much
      info is out there that is
      1 - out of date;
      2 - just plain incorrect; and/or
      3 - complete mythology (i.e. urban legend).

      That would actually go for any of these conditions,
      including Autism.

      Does anyone remember when children with Downs Syndrome
      were institutionalized because they could never be taught
      to care for themselves? We now know that is not true,
      but up to even the mid 80's some folks still believed it.

      > How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

      Might work.

      If there is a local chapter of CHADD or one of the Autism
      support groups in your area, they might be able to help
      as well. (www.chadd.org)

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      District Committee Member at Large
      -- Stephen R. Covey