Re: [Scouter_T] Has anybody done a training on working with mental & emotional disabilities?

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
      School psychologists are a great resource and could be recruited to
      teach a class.

      Rich

      On 4/26/2012 2:21 PM, Tom Pitts wrote:
      > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental&
      > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
      > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
      > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
      > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
      > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
      > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
      > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
      > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
      > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
      > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
      > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
      > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
      > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
      > Bella Vista, AR

    • Corinna Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
        Tom,
        There is an "Autism and Scouting" page on Facebook.
        HTH,
        Corinna

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
          Contact Heart of America Council in Kansas City, MO. They hold a three-day training every year for staff (mixed Boy Scouts & Adults) prior to the special needs boy scout resident camp held at the Rotary Camp in Lee's Summit. The training is good, involving more both classwork and hands-on, and very timely.

          Cindy Pope, Adv. Coor. & Treasurer
          Special Needs Boy Scout Troop 2
          Ozark Trails Council
          Greater Springfield, MO

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Pitts" <tdpitts@...> wrote:

          > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental &
          > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
          > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
          > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
          > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
          > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
          > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
          > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
          > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
          > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
          > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
          > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
          > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
          > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
          > Bella Vista, AR

        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
            I tried to do such a training, on ADHD, at our University
            of Scouting several years ago. Out of 150-200 attendees,
            I had _1_ single leader who was interested. The next
            year, the course was removed (not by me) because of the
            lack of attendance.

            Also, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

            > There is a supplemental training presentation on working
            > with Scouts who have ADHD:
            > http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
            > http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc
            >
            > Some of the info in there could be adapted to other
            > intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

            I haven't looked at those, yet, but I saw one some time
            ago that was from a Council in either WI or MN. The info
            was good, at the time, but I know for a fact that the info
            at that time is now "woefully" out of date. When dealing
            with ADD (now called ADHD, Inattentive type) or ADHD,
            hyperactive type, make sure that the info is _current_
            with the latest "best practices". It's amazing how much
            info is out there that is
            1 - out of date;
            2 - just plain incorrect; and/or
            3 - complete mythology (i.e. urban legend).

            That would actually go for any of these conditions,
            including Autism.

            Does anyone remember when children with Downs Syndrome
            were institutionalized because they could never be taught
            to care for themselves? We now know that is not true,
            but up to even the mid 80's some folks still believed it.

            > How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

            Might work.

            If there is a local chapter of CHADD or one of the Autism
            support groups in your area, they might be able to help
            as well. (www.chadd.org)

            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            District Committee Member at Large
            -- Stephen R. Covey