Re: [Scouter_T] Has anybody done a training on working with mental & emotional disabilities?

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
      There is a supplemental training presentation on working with Scouts who have ADHD:
      http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
      http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc

      Some of the info in there could be adapted to other intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

      How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Cubmaster, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Buffalo_Joe
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
        Tom,

        We have actually created a full day course and a couple of smaller courses for use at University of Scouting and Roundtables.

        Our Council is working to establish a DisABILITY Awareness Advisory panel to assist where necessary to aid in the inclusion of thes Scouter's with special needs.

        I'd be happy to share some of these resources with you offline.

        Yours In Scouting,

        Joe Parda
        ACC, VSTS Committee
        Occoneechee Council #421

        Buffalo_Joe@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
          School psychologists are a great resource and could be recruited to
          teach a class.

          Rich

          On 4/26/2012 2:21 PM, Tom Pitts wrote:
          > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental&
          > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
          > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
          > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
          > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
          > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
          > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
          > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
          > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
          > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
          > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
          > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
          > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
          > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
          > Bella Vista, AR

        • Corinna Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
            Tom,
            There is an "Autism and Scouting" page on Facebook.
            HTH,
            Corinna

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
              Contact Heart of America Council in Kansas City, MO. They hold a three-day training every year for staff (mixed Boy Scouts & Adults) prior to the special needs boy scout resident camp held at the Rotary Camp in Lee's Summit. The training is good, involving more both classwork and hands-on, and very timely.

              Cindy Pope, Adv. Coor. & Treasurer
              Special Needs Boy Scout Troop 2
              Ozark Trails Council
              Greater Springfield, MO

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Pitts" <tdpitts@...> wrote:

              > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental &
              > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
              > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
              > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
              > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
              > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
              > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
              > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
              > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
              > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
              > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
              > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
              > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
              > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
              > Bella Vista, AR

            • Scouter Chuck
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
                I tried to do such a training, on ADHD, at our University
                of Scouting several years ago. Out of 150-200 attendees,
                I had _1_ single leader who was interested. The next
                year, the course was removed (not by me) because of the
                lack of attendance.

                Also, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

                > There is a supplemental training presentation on working
                > with Scouts who have ADHD:
                > http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
                > http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc
                >
                > Some of the info in there could be adapted to other
                > intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

                I haven't looked at those, yet, but I saw one some time
                ago that was from a Council in either WI or MN. The info
                was good, at the time, but I know for a fact that the info
                at that time is now "woefully" out of date. When dealing
                with ADD (now called ADHD, Inattentive type) or ADHD,
                hyperactive type, make sure that the info is _current_
                with the latest "best practices". It's amazing how much
                info is out there that is
                1 - out of date;
                2 - just plain incorrect; and/or
                3 - complete mythology (i.e. urban legend).

                That would actually go for any of these conditions,
                including Autism.

                Does anyone remember when children with Downs Syndrome
                were institutionalized because they could never be taught
                to care for themselves? We now know that is not true,
                but up to even the mid 80's some folks still believed it.

                > How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

                Might work.

                If there is a local chapter of CHADD or one of the Autism
                support groups in your area, they might be able to help
                as well. (www.chadd.org)

                I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                District Committee Member at Large
                -- Stephen R. Covey