Has anybody done a training on working with mental & emotional disabilities?

  • Tom Pitts
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
      Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental &
      emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
      Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
      I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
      in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
      My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
      roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
      completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
      We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
      (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
      Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
      Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
      has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
      Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
      Bella Vista, AR

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
        There is a supplemental training presentation on working with Scouts who have ADHD:
        http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
        http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc

        Some of the info in there could be adapted to other intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

        How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Cubmaster, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Buffalo_Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
          Tom,

          We have actually created a full day course and a couple of smaller courses for use at University of Scouting and Roundtables.

          Our Council is working to establish a DisABILITY Awareness Advisory panel to assist where necessary to aid in the inclusion of thes Scouter's with special needs.

          I'd be happy to share some of these resources with you offline.

          Yours In Scouting,

          Joe Parda
          ACC, VSTS Committee
          Occoneechee Council #421

          Buffalo_Joe@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
            School psychologists are a great resource and could be recruited to
            teach a class.

            Rich

            On 4/26/2012 2:21 PM, Tom Pitts wrote:
            > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental&
            > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
            > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
            > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
            > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
            > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
            > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
            > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
            > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
            > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
            > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
            > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
            > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
            > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
            > Bella Vista, AR

          • Corinna Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
              Tom,
              There is an "Autism and Scouting" page on Facebook.
              HTH,
              Corinna

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
                Contact Heart of America Council in Kansas City, MO. They hold a three-day training every year for staff (mixed Boy Scouts & Adults) prior to the special needs boy scout resident camp held at the Rotary Camp in Lee's Summit. The training is good, involving more both classwork and hands-on, and very timely.

                Cindy Pope, Adv. Coor. & Treasurer
                Special Needs Boy Scout Troop 2
                Ozark Trails Council
                Greater Springfield, MO

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Pitts" <tdpitts@...> wrote:

                > Has anybody done a training on working with Scouts with mental &
                > emotional disabilities, primarily for Scouts, but also for leaders?
                > Does anyone have specific suggestions for resources?
                > I'm putting together a "short" class on this for the Scouts (& leaders)
                > in our troop, and would love to see what others have done.
                > My wife is doing a similar training for leaders at our next district
                > roundtable (these are Wood Badge ticket items which were created
                > completely independent of each other), and we are sharing resources.
                > We have looked at the BSA's "Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Manual
                > (34059)", and are also using "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD,
                > Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar and More!: The One Stop Guide for
                > Parents, Teachers and Other Professionals" by Martin L. Kutscher (which
                > has been of great help to us as parents of special needs kids).
                > Thanks!Tom PittsASM Troop 450, Bentonville, ARAssoc Advisor Crew 3410,
                > Bella Vista, AR

              • Scouter Chuck
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
                  I tried to do such a training, on ADHD, at our University
                  of Scouting several years ago. Out of 150-200 attendees,
                  I had _1_ single leader who was interested. The next
                  year, the course was removed (not by me) because of the
                  lack of attendance.

                  Also, Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:

                  > There is a supplemental training presentation on working
                  > with Scouts who have ADHD:
                  > http://scouting.org/filestore/ppt/ADHDTips.ppt
                  > http://scouting.org/filestore/doc/ADHDTips.doc
                  >
                  > Some of the info in there could be adapted to other
                  > intellectual/neuroogical/developmental disabilities.

                  I haven't looked at those, yet, but I saw one some time
                  ago that was from a Council in either WI or MN. The info
                  was good, at the time, but I know for a fact that the info
                  at that time is now "woefully" out of date. When dealing
                  with ADD (now called ADHD, Inattentive type) or ADHD,
                  hyperactive type, make sure that the info is _current_
                  with the latest "best practices". It's amazing how much
                  info is out there that is
                  1 - out of date;
                  2 - just plain incorrect; and/or
                  3 - complete mythology (i.e. urban legend).

                  That would actually go for any of these conditions,
                  including Autism.

                  Does anyone remember when children with Downs Syndrome
                  were institutionalized because they could never be taught
                  to care for themselves? We now know that is not true,
                  but up to even the mid 80's some folks still believed it.

                  > How about the Disabilities Awareness merit badge book?

                  Might work.

                  If there is a local chapter of CHADD or one of the Autism
                  support groups in your area, they might be able to help
                  as well. (www.chadd.org)

                  I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                  District Committee Member at Large
                  -- Stephen R. Covey