Re: Leader-Specific Training for LDS Den Leaders

  • G.J.
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
      I know I've hadd challenges getting LDS leaders to go through training. If this helps provide a good program for the Cubs, more power to them.

      On a pet peeve of mine, I like how they show the wrong TRAINED patch, Cub leaders wear red and tan, not the green and tan.
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
        I thought LDS leaders had to go through training? I mean they were made to be their church. No?

        Connie

        --- On Mon, 3/5/12, G.J. <gjjudd@...> wrote:

        I know I've hadd challenges getting LDS leaders to go through training. If this helps provide a good program for the Cubs, more power to them.

      • Scott Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
          Absolutely! The following are some informative resource links on the LDS
          church's website concerning instructions to LDS Scouting Leaders for
          training and for Scouting in general:

          http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/scout-leader-training.pdf?lang=eng

          http://www.lds.org/service/serving-in-the-church/aaronic-priesthood/leader-resources/scouting?lang=eng

          Scott Smith
          ADC Spanish Trails for LDS units in the Tucson Arizona Rincon Stake
          Catalina Council

          > I thought LDS leaders had to go through training? I mean they were
          > made to be their church. No?
          >
          > Connie

        • Jon Baake
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
            Sorry to disappoint G.J but there is apparently no wrong trained patch. BSA
            says:

            Two versions are available; either may be worn with any BSA uniform; one has
            a khaki background with red lettering and border while the second has a
            khaki background with green lettering and border (centennial edition).
            Quoted from http://scouting.org/scoutsource/awards_central/trainedstrip.aspx

            If someone has a citation prescribing the red and tan patch for cubs and the
            green and tan for boy scouts that would be useful.

            Jon

            NCAC

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
              http://www.scoutstuff.org/trained-red-emblem.html%c2%a0

              Trained Red EmblemItem: 18120
              Availability:In Stock
              $1.39
              Trained leader emblem in red thread on khaki twill. 1-3/4" x 1". Revised size fits on the left sleeve pocket flap of the Centennial Uniform shirts. The red Trained emblem is worn by a Cub Scout leader who has completed the Basic Leader Training program appropriate to their positions.

              ________________________________

            • mark.ellis21@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2012
                We checked with the BSA training folks at National. The Scoutstuff description is flat out wrong. The website listed has the correct info.

                Mark Ellis

                Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Yes, and I remember when the "helpful" individual at the scout store was not going to sell the red and white numerals to me because I was a troop leader and the red and white numerals are no longer for the Boy Scout uniform. I reminded him that I was also a Cubmaster and put an end to that silly discussion.

                  Of course I promptly went home and put the red and white numerals on my newest Scoutmaster shirt with the red loops.

                  Not everything you read or are told is correct.

                  But the statement that once a uniform, always a uniform is pretty darn safe. And red or green...does it really matter.

                  So many Scouts...so little time.

                  YIS

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                    I see the switching of the numbers and trained strip snafu is still at work and no one has any idea what the heck is going on. Also I see that miscommunication within the BSA departments still exists. :)

                    There are two TRAINED strips: tan and green for Boy Scouts and their leaders because they are wearing the tan and green numbers, and the red and tan strip for Cub Scout leaders because they wear the red and white numbers still irregardless of which version of the shirt, DeLarenta or Centennial, worn. Also the Venturing folks need the tan and red strips too.

                    But looking through the current, stress CURRENT, Uniform Essentials, Checklists, and Inspection sheet, I see that the color trained strip is not mentioned, only the color unit numbers; red and white for venturers, Cubs, and Cub Scout leaders; Green and tan for Boy Scouts and their leaders. But the older info from a few months ago info I have does specify which color is worn by whom.

                    But to give a little background on this snafu. From August 2008- April 2009 there was NO Insignia Guide on the Centennial Uniforms. The handout that unveiled the CUs stated that anyone in the CUs, including Webelos and Cub Scout leaders, wear tan and green insignia. For about a month, April 2009, online stated that Webelos and Cub leaders wear tan and red numbers, but those didn't come out, and instead Webelos and Cub Leaders wear red and white numbers. To make the uniform more uniform, a smaller tan and red trained strip came out for the Cub leaders, and because the Venturing folks didn't want the tan and green strips. Some of the uniform literature AFTER May 2009 does have this information, and when I get home I'll cite the info if I can find it, i.e. I'll give you the dates since BSA changes the info regularly (see above)

                    But as a previous poster said, once uniform, always uniform. So I have no problems with a Webelos or CS leader in tan and greens b/c that is a "vintage August 2008-April 2009" uniform for them.

                    As for BS leaders mixing and matching the ODL uniform items, i.e red loops and numbers, that is perfectly permissable according to the May 2008 document introducing the CUs, as well as the information from AUG 2008 documents when the uniforms came out.

                    Easiest fix for this mess is to go back to the red and whites numbers and red and tan strips for everyone, except Sea Scouts as they don't wear numbers.

                    Now how do i know all this? I got a bunch of angry complaints from parents and leaders on this topic when this fiasco was unfolding. Not happy campers buying and sewing on stuff that they were told is proper, only to find out a few months later that National did not give out the proper info and they are inccorectly uniformed. Heck I got the tan and green numbers and trained strip for my CS leader uniform, and find out 2 weeks after buying and sewing them on that national changed the policy, and that was after a call to a national scout shop to get what I thought was the official answer.

                    But I concede the point that currently no where online, either on SCOUTING.ORG or SCOUTSTUFF.ORG does it specify which color trained strip is worn by whom. Whose idea was it to switch? :)
                  • Whiteley, John F
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Dear GJ:

                      Sea Scouts don't wear numbers? The why does ScoutStuff.com sell them (either blue on white for wear on the white uniforms or white on blue for wear on the blue uniforms)?

                      Granted, the Sea Scout Manual does not require the numerals. But most Ships do wear them.

                      YiS

                      John
                      Vice Commodore for Training
                      Central Region, Area 4

                      Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S., AMS, CCT
                      Executive Director
                      Workforce Development
                      Mountwest Community and Technical College
                      4200 Ohio River Road
                      Huntington, WV, 25702
                      Office: 304-697-5616
                      Fax: 304-697-5611
                      Huntington Cell: 304-417-3321
                      Charleston Cell: 304-437-3321
                      whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley@...>
                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                        Apparently, when I searched for the trained strip, the link above was not shown, but the older trained strip. So a national source DOES say red and tan for CS leaders.

                        Also the 2009 Insignia Guide does state this as well, but that has not been placed online still. And I beleive it is now out of print, but don't quote me on that.

                        Me personally, when it comes to which BSA department to listen to, I'd go with the one that has primary responsibility for whatever I'm looking for. So for uniform stuff, i.e. the trained strip, I'd go with Supply since they are responsible for that. But in regards to training syllabi, it's definately Training.

                        Although as I stated, all this could easily be fixed if everyone wore the same colors, except Sea Scouts since they don't wear unit numbers or trained strips. ;)
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                          I am sorry you had to be hit with the fiasco blow back but hey you can console yourself with the fact that your people care about the fact that they have the correct insignia sewn on............ :)

                          Connie

                          --- On Tue, 3/6/12, G.J. <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                          Now how do i know all this? I got a bunch of angry complaints from parents and leaders on this topic when this fiasco was unfolding. Not happy campers buying and sewing on stuff that they were told is proper, only to find out a few months later that

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "G.J." <gjjudd@...> wrote:

                            > I see the switching of the numbers and trained strip snafu is still at
                            work and no one has any idea what the heck is going on. Also I see that
                            miscommunication within the BSA departments still exists. :)

                            Yes, it is very confusing, but I'm hoping the "about-to-be -released"
                            Guide to Awards and Insignia will clear this up. According to the Guide
                            to Advancement 2011 (paragraph 3.0.0.4), the guide is scheduled to be
                            released in "winter 2012".

                            Paul Y
                            District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                            Thunderbird District
                            Inland Northwest Council
                            Spokane WA
                            "Once a Fox, always a Fox"
                          • G.J.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                              John,

                              As you mentioned, the Sea Scout Manual states that numbers are not to be worn on the Sea Scout uniforms. And as you know that has been policy since 2002 with all the uniform changes, i.e no "bugs" on covers, no unit numbers, limit of 6 knots, etc. I personally do not agree with that policy, but it is the national rules.

                              But I also know a lot of traditional Sea Scout ships still wear the traditional insignia. I also know a few ships still wear their "piratical costumes" from pre-2002. I still have mine in the closet.

                              BTW, if you do buy any Sea Scout items from national, look at the tags. When I was updating my Sea Scout uniform to the current national white uniform for the Sea Scout Centennial this year, the insignia I bought had "Sea Explorer" still labeled on it.

                              Jerry
                            • linda_domnick
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 7, 2012
                                Here's more info regarding the new Leader Specific Training for LDS Den
                                Leaders

                                This is a stand alone module. This is the training for LDS Den Leaders
                                and is a stand alone module. It is only two hours long. Instead of the
                                four hour cub training module. There is a new cub training module
                                coming out within a month. That also will only be about two hours. The
                                National Training Committee is creating training that is much more
                                useful and less fluff. They have been listening to what cub leaders
                                need and so the change. That being said, until the new cub syllabus
                                come down the pike, I am treating this training as just another break
                                out of the total cub training day. Also this new Den Leader training
                                will not be put online. It is a hands-on training because Den Leaders
                                need to see and do this training.

                                From the National Training Committee: "To date, the only cultural
                                diversity we have had in our training is to translate our syllabi into
                                Spanish. We are now beginning to target our major chartered
                                organizations and provide training which is specific to their culture or
                                community. Because the LDS church is the largest chartered partner and
                                because we have more den leaders than anything else; we started with LDS
                                Den Leader training. The attached syllabus can be presented in about 2
                                hours and will be recorded as C42 just like the current Den Leader
                                Specific. Soon (perhaps as early as tonight), this will be posted to
                                www.scouting.org/training/adult <http://www.scouting.org/training/adult>
                                , but until then feel free to distribute this as you see fit. It will
                                not be produced in hard copy."

                                I hope that helps!

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Scott Smith <smithds@...> wrote:

                                > Absolutely! The following are some informative resource links on the
                                LDS
                                > church's website concerning instructions to LDS Scouting Leaders for
                                > training and for Scouting in general:

                                http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/scout-leader-tr\
                                aining.pdf?lang=eng

                                http://www.lds.org/service/serving-in-the-church/aaronic-priesthood/lead\
                                er-resources/scouting?lang=eng

                                > Scott Smith
                                > ADC Spanish Trails for LDS units in the Tucson Arizona Rincon Stake
                                > Catalina Council
                                > >

                                > > I thought LDS leaders had to go through training? I mean they were
                                > > made to be their church. No?
                                > >
                                > > Connie

                              • Bill
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 9, 2012
                                  Mike,
                                  My understanding is that trial period already occurred.

                                  Bill

                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

                                  > A. At my area bi-monthly telephone conference for council training chairs I was told the following:
                                  >
                                  > 1. Don't worry about this, as there will be a trial period using this syllabus.
                                  >
                                  > 2. The trial will be primarily in the Western US.
                                  >
                                  > B. It looks like that was wrong.
                                  >
                                  > Yours In Scouting
                                  >

                                  > Mike Crothers
                                  >
                                  > Tecumseh Council Training Chair

                                  > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                • Bill
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 9, 2012
                                    No, they are still considered trained. They can either take this new training, the online training or the older syllabus. Any of the training would yield a C42 "trained" indication on their records.

                                    Bill

                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                    > Wow! Does this mean that Wolf and Bear Den Leaders registered with LDS
                                    > units are not considered trained if they have completed their training
                                    > online at MyScouting.org?
                                    >

                                    > On 3/4/2012 11:37 PM, Ryan L wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > The BSA Volunteer Training Team posted on their facebook page this
                                    > > morning that there is now an official "Leader-Specific Training for
                                    > > LDS Den Leaders" on scouting.org
                                    > > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-025.pdf

                                  • Herb
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 10, 2012
                                      Here is the solution. Wear a green one if you enjoyed the training and red one if you didn't

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Baake" <jbaake@...> wrote:

                                      > Sorry to disappoint G.J but there is apparently no wrong trained patch. BSA
                                      > says:
                                      >
                                      > Two versions are available; either may be worn with any BSA uniform; one has
                                      > a khaki background with red lettering and border while the second has a
                                      > khaki background with green lettering and border (centennial edition).
                                      > Quoted from http://scouting.org/scoutsource/awards_central/trainedstrip.aspx
                                      >
                                      > If someone has a citation prescribing the red and tan patch for cubs and the
                                      > green and tan for boy scouts that would be useful.
                                      >
                                      > Jon
                                      >
                                      > NCAC

                                    • David Wildschuetz
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 10, 2012