RE: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge records in ScoutNet

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      I had in the back of my mind that the Wood Badge (beads, etc) was an award
      and the six days of training was, well, training. Remember at the end of
      Day 6 the participant is to received a Trained card, called in my 2007
      Admin Guide a "Training Experience Card". Check your Admin Guide.

      Teresa Hall
      SR-889 Scoutmaster
      etc.
      Greater AL Council

    • Scott Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
        Exactly what the council I belong to is doing, giving the A90 ScoutNet
        credit at the conclusion of the learning experience. But using that model,
        we don't have a good way to keep track of ticket completion, as a part of
        ScoutNet that is. Final course director reports tend to disappear within
        the council and so nobody really has a good handle on how many folks have
        completed their tickets throughout the years.

        Would be nice if the ticket completion was treated like other training
        awards, i.e.:
        C47 Cub Scouter Award
        S41 Boy Scout Leaders Training Award
        D31 Arrowhead Award
        etc, with its own individual ScoutNet code, so it can be tracked in the
        same database as the rest of training and training awards.

        Really looking to see if there is an official policy on how to handle this
        that is documented somewhere. I can understand the thought process that 'if
        you did not finish your ticket, you don't get credit' policy, especially
        since if you don't finish and really want your beads you have to attend
        again, rewrite a ticket and work it through. However, in lieu of an actual,
        written policy and procedure (if it does not exist), I am just fishing for
        'best practices' amongst the councils to pass along to the councils and
        course directors I have a responsibility for.

        Thanks for the feedback Art!

        Scott Smith
        WR, Area 6 Wood Badge Coordinator

        > From: "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...>
        >
        > But remember all, I believe that once they attend the course, they
        > receive training credit; completion of the "ticket" is a bonus, but
        > NOT a requirement??
        >
        > Check with whomever enters your training records please and they'll
        > have the correct answer.
        >
        > - Art
        > --- On Thu, 3/1/12, mark.ellis21@... <mark.ellis21@...>
      • Scott Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
          You are absolutely correct, the admin guide does call for the issuing of
          the Wood Badge Training experience pocket card (#34142, page 34, 2012 Wood
          Badge Admin Guide)

          " On Day Six, each course participant will be issued a Wood Badge Training
          Experience card indicating his or her Wood Badge course number and ending
          date. The scribe will prepare the cards."

          The admin guide details when the whole ticket completion process, including
          the form to alert the council and certification by the course director of
          the completion. It mentioned nothing, however, that I can find on the
          recording in ScoutNet topic.

          Scott

        • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
            Well, hello there!

            Wearing 2 hats here, and speaking for both. I had the privilege and pleasure of being the Course Director for NE I-234, and currently serve as the Registrar for Boston Minuteman Council.

            A90 is used to indicate the completion of the actual training phase (the 6 days).
            There is another code that goes under AWARDS to indicate the awarding of the beads. When I get to work in the morning, I will find that code and post it.

            SO, it is incumbent upon the course director to notify the councils of the attendees of and requesting that A90 be put into their SN record, and that when the attendees have completed their tickets, turning in the form and asking that the AWARD be recorded.

            Now, that being said, I have a volunteer whose sole task it is to do nothing but dig thru the old records and post their WB courses. Yup, you guessed. Nothing was ever recorded. Until now. 8)

            So, ask around, ask anyone you seeing wearing beads who was in their patrol/course, was a staffer. Keep asking and collecting names and sooner or later you will have a decent listing. If you don't just dump them on your registrar in a huge lump, but in dribs and drabs, you have a better chance of getting the info posted. Enlist the Training Chair, and a professional advisor, and things might get easier. Offer to help out, bring coffee and you can make a friend.

            I know, I LOVE my volunteers.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Marian McQuaid
            NE CS-40, I used to be an owl