Wood Badge records in ScoutNet

  • smithds913
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 10:01 AM
      Question concerning when a Wood Badge participant's ScoutNet records should be updated with the A90 code for Wood Badge. I know that my council updates the record once the participant completes the learning experience phase (actual 6 days on course). My council does not really have a good way to track in ScoutNet ticket completion. I am sort of looking for the official word and source on this topic (if it exists), since I can find nothing about this in the Wood Badge admin guide. Otherwise, I am looking for common practices so that I can make recommendations. Thanks.

      Scott Smith
      WE Area 6 Wood Badge coordinator
    • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 12:02 PM
        In that they have NOT completed wood badge until such time that their
        tickets are completed putting them in before then would be incorrect.

        It should be the date the Mentor and Course director accept everything as
        final.

        Remember it's all most impossible to remove something once it is entered in
        Scoutnet. So giving credit before it is actually done means somebody need
        to call National and get the records removed for those that don't complete
        it.

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 12:07 PM
          I find most course directors don't know they need to put a Training Attendance form to their registrar or training input person at the council in order to get it into ScoutNet.

          Yours In Scouting

          Mike Crothers

          Tecumseh Council Training Chair

          and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 1:40 PM
            Scoutnet training records can be deleted/edited at the council level.

            Mark Ellis

            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 3:50 PM
              But remember all, I believe that once they attend the course, they receive training credit; completion of the "ticket" is a bonus, but NOT a requirement??

              Check with whomever enters your training records please and they'll have the correct answer.

              - Art

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1 4:02 PM
                I had in the back of my mind that the Wood Badge (beads, etc) was an award
                and the six days of training was, well, training. Remember at the end of
                Day 6 the participant is to received a Trained card, called in my 2007
                Admin Guide a "Training Experience Card". Check your Admin Guide.

                Teresa Hall
                SR-889 Scoutmaster
                etc.
                Greater AL Council

              • Scott Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1 4:15 PM
                  Exactly what the council I belong to is doing, giving the A90 ScoutNet
                  credit at the conclusion of the learning experience. But using that model,
                  we don't have a good way to keep track of ticket completion, as a part of
                  ScoutNet that is. Final course director reports tend to disappear within
                  the council and so nobody really has a good handle on how many folks have
                  completed their tickets throughout the years.

                  Would be nice if the ticket completion was treated like other training
                  awards, i.e.:
                  C47 Cub Scouter Award
                  S41 Boy Scout Leaders Training Award
                  D31 Arrowhead Award
                  etc, with its own individual ScoutNet code, so it can be tracked in the
                  same database as the rest of training and training awards.

                  Really looking to see if there is an official policy on how to handle this
                  that is documented somewhere. I can understand the thought process that 'if
                  you did not finish your ticket, you don't get credit' policy, especially
                  since if you don't finish and really want your beads you have to attend
                  again, rewrite a ticket and work it through. However, in lieu of an actual,
                  written policy and procedure (if it does not exist), I am just fishing for
                  'best practices' amongst the councils to pass along to the councils and
                  course directors I have a responsibility for.

                  Thanks for the feedback Art!

                  Scott Smith
                  WR, Area 6 Wood Badge Coordinator

                  > From: "A. Dukovic" <artdukovic@...>
                  >
                  > But remember all, I believe that once they attend the course, they
                  > receive training credit; completion of the "ticket" is a bonus, but
                  > NOT a requirement??
                  >
                  > Check with whomever enters your training records please and they'll
                  > have the correct answer.
                  >
                  > - Art
                  > --- On Thu, 3/1/12, mark.ellis21@... <mark.ellis21@...>
                • Scott Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1 4:28 PM
                    You are absolutely correct, the admin guide does call for the issuing of
                    the Wood Badge Training experience pocket card (#34142, page 34, 2012 Wood
                    Badge Admin Guide)

                    " On Day Six, each course participant will be issued a Wood Badge Training
                    Experience card indicating his or her Wood Badge course number and ending
                    date. The scribe will prepare the cards."

                    The admin guide details when the whole ticket completion process, including
                    the form to alert the council and certification by the course director of
                    the completion. It mentioned nothing, however, that I can find on the
                    recording in ScoutNet topic.

                    Scott

                  • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1 7:28 PM
                      Well, hello there!

                      Wearing 2 hats here, and speaking for both. I had the privilege and pleasure of being the Course Director for NE I-234, and currently serve as the Registrar for Boston Minuteman Council.

                      A90 is used to indicate the completion of the actual training phase (the 6 days).
                      There is another code that goes under AWARDS to indicate the awarding of the beads. When I get to work in the morning, I will find that code and post it.

                      SO, it is incumbent upon the course director to notify the councils of the attendees of and requesting that A90 be put into their SN record, and that when the attendees have completed their tickets, turning in the form and asking that the AWARD be recorded.

                      Now, that being said, I have a volunteer whose sole task it is to do nothing but dig thru the old records and post their WB courses. Yup, you guessed. Nothing was ever recorded. Until now. 8)

                      So, ask around, ask anyone you seeing wearing beads who was in their patrol/course, was a staffer. Keep asking and collecting names and sooner or later you will have a decent listing. If you don't just dump them on your registrar in a huge lump, but in dribs and drabs, you have a better chance of getting the info posted. Enlist the Training Chair, and a professional advisor, and things might get easier. Offer to help out, bring coffee and you can make a friend.

                      I know, I LOVE my volunteers.

                      Yours in Scouting,
                      Marian McQuaid
                      NE CS-40, I used to be an owl