Fast Tracks for Webelos

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
      I have been out of the Cub Scout programing resources for a long time. Are Fast Tracks still the most relevant way for a new Webelos leader to plan a year?

      Connie

    • Chad Cooper
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012
        The Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide has replaced Fast Tracks. Is it
        the closest thing to relevant; yes. However, for Webelos it is only
        part of the equation. My presentation encourages the Webelos leaders to
        also consider:
        - Seasons : BSA's publications never take into consideration the
        different climates when planning outdoor activities.
        - Advancement during camping : Webelos should be taking the camping
        related activities up a notch towards Boy Scouts. Each leader should
        assess the different advancement opportunities that they can get their
        boys by being even more involved in the council/district/den activities.

        These both add some dynamics that make the WDL's planning job a little
        more challenging. I also encourage the WDLs to consider two philosophies...

        a) think about emphasizing the badge advancement during their first year
        completing 80-90% of what they think that can. Leave the last half of
        the year to have greater emphasis on selecting a troop and ramping-up
        even more to Boy Scouts.

        b) quality over quantity. Identify those activities that have the most
        benefit to the boys in preparing them for Boy Scouts; make sure you
        deliver the best quality of learning experience. Fun! Make sure that
        you're really having the most fun with each activity. You will do a
        much better job of keeping the boys in Scouting if they are having a
        blast when compared with having a drudgery of a time trying to earn all
        20 pins.

        So, when all is said-and-done, the Resource Guide is just another tool.

        - Chad
        Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council