Re: [Scouter_T] Looking for ceremony and possible discontinued program

  • WEBELOS
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
      I can't tell you were I got these anymore, but hope these are what you are
      talking about---

      Adding Machine Tape Demonstration for Adult Recruiting

      You need an 8-10 foot long piece of adding machine or calculator tape.

      Mark off the tape in ten year increments with 0 at the left end and 100 at
      the right. Use large numbers so parents can see from the audience.
      Roll the tape back up, so that the 100 is in the center of the roll.

      For the presentation you will need two helpers to hold the tape in front of
      you so you can point at various points on the tape.

      Start out saying:

      With the current advances in medical technology it's very likely that your
      son will live about 100 years.

      (Have your helpers unroll the tape in front of you, so the whole time line
      is visible.) "Here's a time line of his life."

      If you're 35 now, statistically, you'll likely live until you're 75 or so,
      when your son will be about 50.(Rip the tape off at the 1/2 way point and
      hand the end to your helper. Let the other half fall to the floor -- very
      important dramatic effect). "This represents the years you and your son will
      have together in his lifetime."

      "And he's probably about 8 or 9 now." (Rip of the tape slightly below 10 and
      let that piece fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper). So here's
      the time you have left together.

      How old do you suppose your son will be when he goes away to college (or you
      decide its time for him to be out on his own)? 18 - 20? (Rip off the tape
      someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor. Hand the end
      to your helper). This is the amount of time you have left with him at home.

      When he's about 13 - middle school age - his friends start to become a much
      bigger, maybe the major, influence in his life." (If you can - assuming you
      have teenager - make a comment about how you know this from
      experience.) (Rip off the tape someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk
      fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper).

      (Take the very short piece of tape from your helpers and hold in it front of
      you, and thank your helpers.)

      "This is the time you have left to be the major shaping force in your son's
      life. You can show him how important he is to you by becoming involved in
      Scouting with him. Scouting is a remarkable opportunity for you and your son
      to share a great variety of fun, exciting and positive experiences.
      Experiences that give you that opportunity to help him grow into an adult
      that you'll be proud to point to and say: 'That's my son - he's a good
      person.'"

      (Go on to talk about volunteer opportunities in your unit and how parents
      can participate in them.)

      Michelle E.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
        I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

        YiS

        John
        SM, Troop 74, Tornado, WV
        And a good ole Eagle, too (SE 458 and C4-617-11-1)

        Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S., AMS, CCT
        Executive Director
        Workforce Development
        Mountwest Community and Technical College
        4200 Ohio River Road
        Huntington, WV, 25702
        Office: 304-697-5616
        Fax: 304-697-5611
        Huntington Cell: 304-417-3321
        Charleston Cell: 304-437-3321
        whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
          Hello all,
          I got both the poem and the ceremony........AND a Cubmaster!!  I have seen the yardstick one as well........... thanks to all of the wonderful scouters who came to my rescue........

          Connie

          --- On Sat, 2/4/12, Whiteley, John F <whiteley@...> wrote:

          I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

        • The Little's
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2012
          • Jon Baake
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2012
              One more story that can be told to reluctant parents.

              We all know of the problem high school and college sports coaches have -
              always rebuilding their team as their star players move up and then
              graduate. We have that problem too as our Webelos move on to become Boy
              Scouts. But we have it worse. Not only do our star player cub scouts move on
              each year - our coaches do to. For our team, our pack, to succeed we
              continually need to be recruiting new coaches just as we need to be
              recruiting new players. You folks are the future coaches of our team, or
              said differently, the leaders of our pack. We need your help in each of
              these areas..

              Jon Baake

              NCAC