Re: [Scouter_T] Looking for ceremony and possible discontinued program

  • WEBELOS
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
      Someone Else Died

      The pack was saddened this week to learn of the death of one of our most
      valuable members, Someone Else.

      Someone's passing creates a vacancy that will be difficult to fill. He had
      been with us for years and for every one of those years, Someone did far
      more than a normal person's share of the work. Whenever leadership was
      mentioned, we looked to this wonderful person for inspiration as well as
      results: "Someone else can do that job."

      When there was a job to do, a need to be filled, or a place of leadership,
      one name always mentioned was Someone Else.

      It is common knowledge that Someone Else was among the largest givers of
      time and money in the pack. Whenever there was a financial need, everyone
      assumed that Someone Else would make up the difference.

      Now Someone Else is gone. We wonder what we are going to do. No longer can
      we say, "Let Someone Else do it." If it is going to be done, one of us will
      have to do it.

      I am trying to locate the register tape one, will email if I locate it.

      Michelle E.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
        I can't tell you were I got these anymore, but hope these are what you are
        talking about---

        Adding Machine Tape Demonstration for Adult Recruiting

        You need an 8-10 foot long piece of adding machine or calculator tape.

        Mark off the tape in ten year increments with 0 at the left end and 100 at
        the right. Use large numbers so parents can see from the audience.
        Roll the tape back up, so that the 100 is in the center of the roll.

        For the presentation you will need two helpers to hold the tape in front of
        you so you can point at various points on the tape.

        Start out saying:

        With the current advances in medical technology it's very likely that your
        son will live about 100 years.

        (Have your helpers unroll the tape in front of you, so the whole time line
        is visible.) "Here's a time line of his life."

        If you're 35 now, statistically, you'll likely live until you're 75 or so,
        when your son will be about 50.(Rip the tape off at the 1/2 way point and
        hand the end to your helper. Let the other half fall to the floor -- very
        important dramatic effect). "This represents the years you and your son will
        have together in his lifetime."

        "And he's probably about 8 or 9 now." (Rip of the tape slightly below 10 and
        let that piece fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper). So here's
        the time you have left together.

        How old do you suppose your son will be when he goes away to college (or you
        decide its time for him to be out on his own)? 18 - 20? (Rip off the tape
        someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor. Hand the end
        to your helper). This is the amount of time you have left with him at home.

        When he's about 13 - middle school age - his friends start to become a much
        bigger, maybe the major, influence in his life." (If you can - assuming you
        have teenager - make a comment about how you know this from
        experience.) (Rip off the tape someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk
        fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper).

        (Take the very short piece of tape from your helpers and hold in it front of
        you, and thank your helpers.)

        "This is the time you have left to be the major shaping force in your son's
        life. You can show him how important he is to you by becoming involved in
        Scouting with him. Scouting is a remarkable opportunity for you and your son
        to share a great variety of fun, exciting and positive experiences.
        Experiences that give you that opportunity to help him grow into an adult
        that you'll be proud to point to and say: 'That's my son - he's a good
        person.'"

        (Go on to talk about volunteer opportunities in your unit and how parents
        can participate in them.)

        Michelle E.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
          I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

          YiS

          John
          SM, Troop 74, Tornado, WV
          And a good ole Eagle, too (SE 458 and C4-617-11-1)

          Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S., AMS, CCT
          Executive Director
          Workforce Development
          Mountwest Community and Technical College
          4200 Ohio River Road
          Huntington, WV, 25702
          Office: 304-697-5616
          Fax: 304-697-5611
          Huntington Cell: 304-417-3321
          Charleston Cell: 304-437-3321
          whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley@...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
            Hello all,
            I got both the poem and the ceremony........AND a Cubmaster!!  I have seen the yardstick one as well........... thanks to all of the wonderful scouters who came to my rescue........

            Connie

            --- On Sat, 2/4/12, Whiteley, John F <whiteley@...> wrote:

            I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

          • The Little's
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2012
            • Jon Baake
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2012
                One more story that can be told to reluctant parents.

                We all know of the problem high school and college sports coaches have -
                always rebuilding their team as their star players move up and then
                graduate. We have that problem too as our Webelos move on to become Boy
                Scouts. But we have it worse. Not only do our star player cub scouts move on
                each year - our coaches do to. For our team, our pack, to succeed we
                continually need to be recruiting new coaches just as we need to be
                recruiting new players. You folks are the future coaches of our team, or
                said differently, the leaders of our pack. We need your help in each of
                these areas..

                Jon Baake

                NCAC