Re: [Scouter_T] Troopmaster

  • Ernest Schmidt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
      Charlie my take on this, I have been using Troopmaster for years .we just had a crash in the troop PC lost it all, Troop master was more then help-full in getting us up and running. Great program plus i like the price, ive look at others that just can't give me what i want or my advancement person needs except Troopmaster. I will look at the this one.

      Ernest Schmidt
      ASM T-516, UC Pack 530

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
        Charlie: My district bought the software, but it's primarily used by the
        Leadership Training Chair (me) as the district training database to document
        the trained status of each leader in the district and to communicate with
        units and individuals.

        Pro's: For us.

        - If you like the look and feel of the other TM products (Troopmaster and
        Packmaster), you'll like it
        - I use the e-mail functionality to send targeted e-mails to recipients by
        position. For instance, I send training announcements to unit key 3 or only
        to certain individuals that have not completed a particular course (for
        example, I send course info to all Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters
        that have not completed IOLS, etc.).
        - Most individual and unit level reports are the same as for PM or TM, but
        there's also summary reports by unit for the entire district (see Con's)
        - Like all other TM products, you can get a data file from your council
        office to populate it (see Con's)

        Con's:

        - Like the other TM products, you can't refresh the file from council as it
        overwrites the data file you've edited. So it's a one-time shot if you use
        TM to document changes to advancements, registrations, trained dates, etc.
        - To be successful in using ADMS to reach out to units and leaders, ADMS is
        a hungry beast in terms of the data updates for additions, deletions, e-mail
        changes, etc. You have to have a process to get new or updated leader info
        if you use the communications functions (my DE gives me a copy of every
        adult leader application so we can target training info to new leaders)
        - Unless you want to screw up the trained statistics reports, there's no way
        to document completion of training for someone outside your district (about
        30% of the folks we train are not from my district).
        - The programming for some of the trained reports are inaccurate (for
        example, on the Training Status Details report, Y01 Youth Protection is
        calculated for Venturing Crews and Ships, not Y02 Venturing Youth Protection
        - Not all of the program feature updates that you see in PM or TM are
        automatically made to ADMS. For example, with PM or TM, you can save a
        report in pdf format. ADMS only offers rtf or txt file formats, which is a
        hassle since some e-mail client think rtf and txt file formats are virus
        laden.
        - Troopmaster, Inc seems to place a lot more emphasis on their leased PM and
        TM products. When I've spoken to them about making corrections to obvious
        errors in ADMS when calculating whether someone is trained, they 1) claim to
        not know what BSA's policies are and 2) when they are acknowledged, fixes
        are not fielded quickly or "that will take a while." For instance, Fast
        Start (9 months ago) and This Is Scouting (as of 1 Jan 12) are no longer
        "basic" courses, yet they both still being calculated on the Training Status
        Details Report in TM , and This Is Scouting is still on the ADMS reports.
        They recently added YPT to the TM version of the report, but never added it
        to the ADMS version of the report. You'd think it's the same programming
        and they would endeavor to make the products as seamless as possible, but
        they don't. I think it's their business model approach for PM and TM, and
        ADMS is an after-thought at best.
        - To use the Merit Badge Counselor Management module, you have to re-enter
        all of the leader registration data again. (When they fielded ADMS, they
        stuck in their previous MBC Management software as is as a standalone
        product instead of programming it to operate like TM does to share the basic
        registration data when identifying parents who are also adult leaders or
        POCs).

        Despite my obvious ire with TM, Inc.'s inability to make changes to ADMS
        when similar things get changed in PM or TM and their lack of responsiveness
        in making changes at all to ADMS, , I am still a proponent of ADMS but
        mainly for tracking and managing training. Once ScoutNET goes on the trash
        heap and district folks get online read/write access and report capabilities
        to data in the ScoutNET replacement (early reports say this will occur), I
        will drop ADMS in a heartbeat.

        Hope this helps.

        Mark Ellis

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
          Thanks, Mark - I am the district training chair and will use ADMS to track training and produce data for JTE etc. I appreciate your input...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
            Mark Ellis wrote:

            [snip]
            > Con's:

            [snip]
            > - Troopmaster, Inc seems to place a lot more emphasis on their
            > leased PM and TM products. When I've spoken to them about
            > making corrections to obvious errors in ADMS when calculating
            > whether someone is trained, they 1) claim to not know what
            > BSA's policies are and 2) when they are acknowledged, fixes
            > are not fielded quickly or "that will take a while."
            [snip rest]

            Several years ago, Troopmaster was still a "one horse business",
            meaning that one person was doing all the programming and updates.
            I don't know if that has changed, but even if it's only 3-4 people
            doing the work, it still takes time.

            Just my take on it.

            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            District Committee Member at Large
            -- Stephen R. Covey