Looking for ceremony and possible discontinued program

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hello all,
      I thought I had the "register tape" ceremony but I don't and am looking for it to try a last ditch effort to recruit a Cubmaster tonight without really having to play bad cop.........IE........no Pinewood Derby or Blue and Gold because we can't recharter.........

      Also there is a poem out there somewhere that speaks to "anybody, nobody and somebody" doing the job...........

      And last (not needed for tonight) my husband says there used to be a program that allowed disabled scouts to attain the rank of Eagle. It wasn't just modified requirements but an entire program where segments went around a middle patch. He even has a graphic of it. I want to say it was called something like My Scout??  Ever heard of it?

      And if anyone else has a creative idea for getting a CM tonight shoot it out there.........We have been pushing since the fall..............sigh........ I am the UC by the way..........

      Connie

    • Samuel Harley
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
        Found these

        Whose Job is it Anyway
        The Story of: Everybody, Anybody, Nobody and Somebody

        There was an important job to be done and
        Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.
        Anybody could have done it, but Nobody actually did.
        Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job.
        Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that
        Everybody would not do it.
        It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody
        when Nobody did what Anybody could do

        Whose Job?
        This is a story about 4 people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.
        There was an important job to be done and everybody was sure that somebody would
        do it. Anybody could have done it, but nobody did it. Somebody got angry about
        that, because it was everybody's job. Everybody thought anybody could do it, but
        nobody realized that everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that everybody blamed
        somebody when nobody did what anybody could have done! Dr. Samuel F. Harley,
        PhD
        Harley Science and Technology, Inc

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
          Someone Else Died

          The pack was saddened this week to learn of the death of one of our most
          valuable members, Someone Else.

          Someone's passing creates a vacancy that will be difficult to fill. He had
          been with us for years and for every one of those years, Someone did far
          more than a normal person's share of the work. Whenever leadership was
          mentioned, we looked to this wonderful person for inspiration as well as
          results: "Someone else can do that job."

          When there was a job to do, a need to be filled, or a place of leadership,
          one name always mentioned was Someone Else.

          It is common knowledge that Someone Else was among the largest givers of
          time and money in the pack. Whenever there was a financial need, everyone
          assumed that Someone Else would make up the difference.

          Now Someone Else is gone. We wonder what we are going to do. No longer can
          we say, "Let Someone Else do it." If it is going to be done, one of us will
          have to do it.

          I am trying to locate the register tape one, will email if I locate it.

          Michelle E.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2012
            I can't tell you were I got these anymore, but hope these are what you are
            talking about---

            Adding Machine Tape Demonstration for Adult Recruiting

            You need an 8-10 foot long piece of adding machine or calculator tape.

            Mark off the tape in ten year increments with 0 at the left end and 100 at
            the right. Use large numbers so parents can see from the audience.
            Roll the tape back up, so that the 100 is in the center of the roll.

            For the presentation you will need two helpers to hold the tape in front of
            you so you can point at various points on the tape.

            Start out saying:

            With the current advances in medical technology it's very likely that your
            son will live about 100 years.

            (Have your helpers unroll the tape in front of you, so the whole time line
            is visible.) "Here's a time line of his life."

            If you're 35 now, statistically, you'll likely live until you're 75 or so,
            when your son will be about 50.(Rip the tape off at the 1/2 way point and
            hand the end to your helper. Let the other half fall to the floor -- very
            important dramatic effect). "This represents the years you and your son will
            have together in his lifetime."

            "And he's probably about 8 or 9 now." (Rip of the tape slightly below 10 and
            let that piece fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper). So here's
            the time you have left together.

            How old do you suppose your son will be when he goes away to college (or you
            decide its time for him to be out on his own)? 18 - 20? (Rip off the tape
            someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor. Hand the end
            to your helper). This is the amount of time you have left with him at home.

            When he's about 13 - middle school age - his friends start to become a much
            bigger, maybe the major, influence in his life." (If you can - assuming you
            have teenager - make a comment about how you know this from
            experience.) (Rip off the tape someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk
            fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper).

            (Take the very short piece of tape from your helpers and hold in it front of
            you, and thank your helpers.)

            "This is the time you have left to be the major shaping force in your son's
            life. You can show him how important he is to you by becoming involved in
            Scouting with him. Scouting is a remarkable opportunity for you and your son
            to share a great variety of fun, exciting and positive experiences.
            Experiences that give you that opportunity to help him grow into an adult
            that you'll be proud to point to and say: 'That's my son - he's a good
            person.'"

            (Go on to talk about volunteer opportunities in your unit and how parents
            can participate in them.)

            Michelle E.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
              I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

              YiS

              John
              SM, Troop 74, Tornado, WV
              And a good ole Eagle, too (SE 458 and C4-617-11-1)

              Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S., AMS, CCT
              Executive Director
              Workforce Development
              Mountwest Community and Technical College
              4200 Ohio River Road
              Huntington, WV, 25702
              Office: 304-697-5616
              Fax: 304-697-5611
              Huntington Cell: 304-417-3321
              Charleston Cell: 304-437-3321
              whiteley@...<mailto:whiteley@...>
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
                Hello all,
                I got both the poem and the ceremony........AND a Cubmaster!!  I have seen the yardstick one as well........... thanks to all of the wonderful scouters who came to my rescue........

                Connie

                --- On Sat, 2/4/12, Whiteley, John F <whiteley@...> wrote:

                I have seen a similar program, but it is done with a yardstick. Score the yardstick so that it breaks easily. You break off pieces of the yardstick as described until there is only a few inches of yardstick left. That is the time that you have to influence your boy, and the best way to do it is through Scouting.

              • The Little's
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2012
                • Jon Baake
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2012
                    One more story that can be told to reluctant parents.

                    We all know of the problem high school and college sports coaches have -
                    always rebuilding their team as their star players move up and then
                    graduate. We have that problem too as our Webelos move on to become Boy
                    Scouts. But we have it worse. Not only do our star player cub scouts move on
                    each year - our coaches do to. For our team, our pack, to succeed we
                    continually need to be recruiting new coaches just as we need to be
                    recruiting new players. You folks are the future coaches of our team, or
                    said differently, the leaders of our pack. We need your help in each of
                    these areas..

                    Jon Baake

                    NCAC