Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Introduction to Outdoor Leadership PowerPoint

  • Charlie Hawes
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2 7:51 AM
      Hey Bill, if you are on a camp out with the boys or at Wood Badge training, do you not form patrols?  ITOLS is to introduce the skills to the leaders so they can teach the skills to their boys.  ITOLS is not designed for individuality...

      YIS (yours in scouting)
      Charlie  Hawes
      Sweetwater BSA District Trainer/ADC
      (863)398-7194

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2 7:56 AM
        It doesn't say 100% outdoors or no electricity - however, how often have you run into an electrical outlet in a camp site? Does a troop teach camping skills that include use of electrical items? Hmmmm.... BSA camping guides have changed over the years - but it hasn't started using electricity in the woods yet.

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2 8:03 AM
          In today's world - teaching skills has advanced so the use of audio visual equipment can be an great tool.  Using a projector and a PPT presentation allows for all participants to get the same message without a lot of fuss.  ITOLS can be taught part indoors and part outdoors without losing anything... try it you might like it.. we use 2 indoor sessions (2hrs each) and a weekend of camping.  It's nice to see the skill and then have hands on at the camp out - it really helps them retain more and thus give more back to their programs.

          YIS (yours in scouting)
          Charlie  Hawes
          Sweetwater BSA District Trainer/ADC
          (863)398-7194
        • gerrymoon32817
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 3 3:01 PM
            Page 12 in the one I'm looking at. "Each eight participants WILL form a patrol for the day or weekend course. That kinda sounds like a "mandate" to me.

            > Where in the syllabus does IOLS mandate a “patrol setting”?

          • Bill Nelson
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 18 5:34 AM
              A “patrol buddy pairs” is not a Patrol. It is the buddy system.