Re: [Scouter_T] Introduction to Outdoor Leadership PowerPoint

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2012
      Where in the syllabus does it say it has to be done 100% outdoors and without electricity?

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2012
        Well it is Outdoor Leader Skills. Need to set the setting so participants are not bored and enjoy. Not a verbatim reading.
      • Bill Nelson
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2012
          We need to teach the skills. That is the purpose of the class. But over the years people have added a lot of extras to the class and then mandated them. They are simply not in the syllabus. I can see use of PPT in certain settings. For example, if you have a place to project how to tie a taught line hitch it could help in teaching the skill. We need to focus on what we are doing here, we are teaching skills.
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2012
            Look in Both the "introduction" and "course structure" sections; it recommends "patrol buddy pairs" for practice, but you're NOT going to get a really good demo in a large audience.

            Following this concept, my council does almost everything in a "patrol" setting using 3 or 4 "live-in coach" or what we call "LiNC"; participants finish the course really KNOWING the skills first hand, without question.

            - Art

          • Charlie Hawes
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2012
              Hey Bill, if you are on a camp out with the boys or at Wood Badge training, do you not form patrols?  ITOLS is to introduce the skills to the leaders so they can teach the skills to their boys.  ITOLS is not designed for individuality...

              YIS (yours in scouting)
              Charlie  Hawes
              Sweetwater BSA District Trainer/ADC
              (863)398-7194

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2012
                It doesn't say 100% outdoors or no electricity - however, how often have you run into an electrical outlet in a camp site? Does a troop teach camping skills that include use of electrical items? Hmmmm.... BSA camping guides have changed over the years - but it hasn't started using electricity in the woods yet.

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2012
                  In today's world - teaching skills has advanced so the use of audio visual equipment can be an great tool.  Using a projector and a PPT presentation allows for all participants to get the same message without a lot of fuss.  ITOLS can be taught part indoors and part outdoors without losing anything... try it you might like it.. we use 2 indoor sessions (2hrs each) and a weekend of camping.  It's nice to see the skill and then have hands on at the camp out - it really helps them retain more and thus give more back to their programs.

                  YIS (yours in scouting)
                  Charlie  Hawes
                  Sweetwater BSA District Trainer/ADC
                  (863)398-7194
                • gerrymoon32817
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Page 12 in the one I'm looking at. "Each eight participants WILL form a patrol for the day or weekend course. That kinda sounds like a "mandate" to me.

                    > Where in the syllabus does IOLS mandate a “patrol setting”?

                  • Bill Nelson
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 18, 2012
                      A “patrol buddy pairs” is not a Patrol. It is the buddy system.