Trainers Edge

  • simguy77
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
      I would like some clarification as to who is required to take the Trainer's Edge training. The book and BSA discription read as if participating on staff for Wood Badge and NYLT are the only ones required to take this training before you can be on the staff for these two courses is this correct or is it for other training positions as well.

      Yours in Scouting
      Gary
    • o32sks
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
        Gary,

        Here in the Mid-Iowa Council, we require anyone who wants to be a trainer, to attend our Trainer Development Conference (Trainers Edge) before they are allowed to train any session. I am not sure what National's position is on this, but we feel that folks need instruction before they should train, they do a better job that way.

        Sharon
        CTC MIC

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "simguy77" <simguy@...> wrote:

        > I would like some clarification as to who is required to take the Trainer's Edge training. The book and BSA discription read as if participating on staff for Wood Badge and NYLT are the only ones required to take this training before you can be on the staff for these two courses is this correct or is it for other training positions as well.
        >
        > Yours in Scouting
        > Gary

      • Sandra Martens
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
          TDC and EDGE are two different courses.  (National is working on combining the two but as far as I know it's not done yet)

          TDC is for Cub Scout trainers.  EDGE is for Woodbadge, BS trainers, and NYLT.  Not sure where den chief trainers fit in- probably EDGE.

          Sandy OWL

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
            Hey there Sandy OWL, good to see you here. I live in MD now and just am
            getting back into scouting. Miss all my Potawatomi Scouters. still working
            my ticket Kathryn Taylor

            On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Sandra Martens <sandyowl1@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > TDC and EDGE are two different courses. (National is working on combining
            > the two but as far as I know it's not done yet)
            >
            > TDC is for Cub Scout trainers. EDGE is for Woodbadge, BS trainers, and
            > NYLT. Not sure where den chief trainers fit in- probably EDGE.
            >
            > Sandy OWL

          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
              Sandy, I would love to see your reference for this. Thanks!

              Teresa

              On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Sandra Martens <sandyowl1@...> wrote:

              > TDC and EDGE are two different courses. (National is working on combining
              > the two but as far as I know it's not done yet)
              >
              > TDC is for Cub Scout trainers. EDGE is for Woodbadge, BS trainers, and
              > NYLT. Not sure where den chief trainers fit in- probably EDGE.
              >
              > Sandy OWL

            • A. Dukovic
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                Sorry, TDC was the "old" course which was replaced by "Trainer's Edge" and the latest version is from 2009; it's for everyone to include Pack Trainers etc.

                - Art

              • Charlie Hawes
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                  If anyone is planning on training courses in their district and sign off - they should be Trainers EDGE certified.  The certification allows you to train other trainers, train courses normally held by the council out in the district and helps trainers understand the EDGE method of training and how to use it when training.

                  YIS (yours in scouting)
                  Charlie  Hawes
                  Sweetwater BSA District Trainer/ADC
                  (863)398-7194

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                    TDC is no longer a training as of last year.
                    Trainers EDGE is for everyone although it is required for WB and NYLT staff.  Youth and adults can take Trainers EDGE.

                    Sorry, TDC was the "old" course which was replaced by "Trainer's Edge" and the latest version is from 2009; it's for everyone to include Pack Trainers etc.

                    - Art

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                      I'm pretty sure one of the Training Updates indicated TDC is still a valid course.

                      Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Troop Committee, Troop 509
                      Ham Lake, MN
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      Three Rivers District

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2012
                        The "concepts" are the same, Trainer's Edge is just 21 Century oriented and is the only one that used now.

                        - Art

                      • Kevin Pate
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                          For a looksee at the syllabus, one can visit/open/download/etc.:

                          http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/26-242.pdf

                        • Todd Block
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                            The Fall 2011 Training Update does not list the TDC as an option. It does list Trainer's EDGE. The current "What makes a Trained Leader?" does not include TDC. It does include Trainer's Edge.

                            Todd Block
                            Unit Commissioner
                            Cache La Poudre District
                            Longs Peak Council

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "simguy77" <simguy@...> wrote:

                            > I would like some clarification as to who is required to take the Trainer's Edge training. The book and BSA discription read as if participating on staff for Wood Badge and NYLT are the only ones required to take this training before you can be on the staff for these two courses is this correct or is it for other training positions as well.
                            >
                            > Yours in Scouting
                            > Gary

                          • Michelle Gee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                              Trainers EDGE is for all.  It's required for NYLT and WB.

                              The Fall 2011 Training Update does not list the TDC as an option. It does list Trainer's EDGE. The current "What makes a Trained Leader?" does not include TDC. It does include Trainer's Edge.

                              Todd Block
                              Unit Commissioner
                              Cache La Poudre District
                              Longs Peak Council

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "simguy77" <simguy@...> wrote:

                              > I would like some clarification as to who is required to take the Trainer's Edge training. The book and BSA discription read as if participating on staff for Wood Badge and NYLT are the only ones required to take this training before you can be on the staff for these two courses is this correct or is it for other training positions as well.
                              >
                              > Yours in Scouting
                              > Gary

                            • Ann Meyer
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                                TDC was replaced by Trainer’s EDGE. After polling a group of trainer’s at Trainer’s EDGE last year we decided to put on a paired down version of TDC and made it a requirement to EDGE in our Council. For someone who is just starting to train to put them in front of people before they have been taught the tools to successfully put on a presentation is unfair. We, also, wrote a letter to National encouraging them to reconsider TDC. The response we received from Mark Griffin was that they would get this on their agenda in the Spring, probably May (or the basic gist of what he wrote back to us).

                                I’d certainly love to have more on the statement that National is working to combine the two courses.

                                YiS,

                                Ann Meyer
                                VP – Volunteer Support and Training Services
                                Occoneechee Council
                                Raleigh, NC

                              • fred-scouts@skrotzki.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2012
                                  TDC is still referenced for Pack Trainer. See
                                  http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/13-083.pdf

                                  _____

                                • ed5870@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2012
                                    But Trainers Edge may be used instead.

                                    From: <fred-scouts@...>
                                    Sender: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:32:19
                                    To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>

                                    TDC is still referenced for Pack Trainer. See
                                    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/13-083.pdf

                                    _____

                                    Sandy, I would love to see your reference for this. Thanks!

                                    Teresa

                                    On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Sandra Martens <sandyowl1@...
                                    <mailto:sandyowl1%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                                    > TDC and EDGE are two different courses. (National is working on combining
                                    > the two but as far as I know it's not done yet)
                                    >
                                    > TDC is for Cub Scout trainers. EDGE is for Woodbadge, BS trainers, and
                                    > NYLT. Not sure where den chief trainers fit in- probably EDGE.
                                    >
                                    > Sandy OWL
                                    >
                                    > --- On Tue, 1/31/12, o32sks <o32sharon@...
                                    <mailto:o32sharon%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                                    > From: o32sks <o32sharon@... <mailto:o32sharon%40yahoo.com> >
                                    > Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: Trainers Edge
                                    > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 5:18 PM

                                    > Gary,
                                    >

                                    > Here in the Mid-Iowa Council, we require anyone who wants to be a trainer,
                                    > to attend our Trainer Development Conference (Trainers Edge) before they
                                    > are allowed to train any session. I am not sure what National's position
                                    is
                                    > on this, but we feel that folks need instruction before they should train,
                                    > they do a better job that way.
                                    >

                                    > Sharon
                                    >
                                    > CTC MIC
                                    >

                                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                    "simguy77" <simguy@...> wrote:

                                    > > I would like some clarification as to who is required to take the
                                    > Trainer's Edge training. The book and BSA discription read as if
                                    > participating on staff for Wood Badge and NYLT are the only ones required
                                    > to take this training before you can be on the staff for these two courses
                                    > is this correct or is it for other training positions as well.
                                    >

                                    > > Yours in Scouting
                                    >
                                    > > Gary

                                  • A. Dukovic
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 3, 2012
                                      The reference you have is from 2006 ... use Trainer's Edge please??

                                      - Art