Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training that Expires

  • maxsportable@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 30, 2012
      I once asked the same questions as I was the District Venturing Roundtable Commissioner (fell under the District Commissioner) and the District Training Chair (fell under myself) at the same time. The Trainers manual clearly stated then that Roundtable was supplemental training and there fore fell under the Training Chair.....however staff are Commissioners and fell under the District Commissioner.

      This is how it was explained to me (as best I can put to words) ........... the District Commissioner was responsible for appointing the qualified personnel as they were proving service to the units and had contact with so many unit leaders so the idea of using Commissioners, introduced the units to the Commissioner Corps idea and connected the commissioners and units to build better bonds. After all, the Commissioners should be at Roundtable anyway, right? And since major trainings were not the purpose of Roundtable, actual training staff were not required to be used. As for the Training Chair side, I was responsible for the program and info put out to the units at Roundtable to make sure that quality program and training info were distributed along with providing any actual trainings that might be offered.

      I can't say it works because I could not dictate the split out info or activities, and I could not control or replace personnel that weren't doing the job. All I could do was ask them to step it up and do the job or ask the DC to replace them. Now, we just leave Roundtable under the control of our DC both for program and personnel.

      Dawn Maddox