Re: Boards of Review training?

  • G.J.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
      My thoughts on this topic, espeically since it has been discussed elsewhere, specifically at this website:
      http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=332411#id_333206

      1) Yes, there is no retesting at BORs.

      2) However one of the jobs of the committee is to make sure the Scout has done the work for the rank. BUT that is done by asking questions and getting them to talk about their expereinces in Scouting. Not by opening up a pack with a variety of items and telling the Scout to demonstarte XYZ skill (and yes I saw that once).

      3) If a BOR has some serious reservations they need to discuss the challenges with the Scout and have a written explanation and plan for him to meet the reservations.

      4)In addition to informing the Scout, the SM needs to be informed as the problem may be a program one, and something that he needs to fix.

      5)A Scout has a right to appeal the denial

      6)GTA states that "a badge recognizes what a young man is able to do and how he has grown. It is not so much a reward for what he has done.