Re: Digest Number 2636 facebook post - Clarification

  • Mike Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2012
      As the originator of the post, I will clarify and apologize for

      any confusion:

      In a former Council where I served as DE and then Unit Commissioner,

      the Scout Executive decided to impliment Cub Scout Leader training

      in the months of September & early October, rather than having new

      Cub Scout Leaders wait until the Council Univ. of Scouting in mid-November.

      Selected Trainers with proven experience, both in the Field and as presenters, held leader specific training on specified evenings during the

      "School Night Season", NOT AT THE ACTUAL School Nite.

      The training covered the prescribed Leader training as the time, early 2000's

      and offerred FREE through the Council's FOS, mostly to cover handouts and the trained strip; nothing else!

      A training Schedule for each District was prepared so all Packs knew when

      training would be held, where, what night and open to everyone.

      The two DE's worked with their district Training team & Commissioner Staff

      to secure locations and trainers.  In all, it was a great sales pitch to new &

      current leaders.

      Sessions offerred:  Cubmasters & Assistants;  Tiger Den Leaders; Wolf & Bear Den Leaders; Webelos Den Leaders; Pack Committee members.

      Each was held at least once, if not at the Council Office centrally localed in the council territory, if not in each District territory.

      Lastly, each Cub scout Pack was provided two copies of the old "monthly program features" booklet at the School Nite/Recruiting training session held

      in August.  If anything at the time, it got a leader from Each PACK to

      attend were the two FREE copies as well as other materials:  posters,flyer, etc..  The Council provided these as a necessary resource.

      With a lack of available & qualified trainers and the introduction of the on-line

      training, this training format has not been done as described for several years.

      Lastly, the council is non-suburban area in New England, not a metropolitan nor suburban area such as Boston.  The goal at this time was to get Leaders exposed to training ASAP.

      Again, I hope this clarifies my earlier post.

      --

      Michael E. Clark
      taskiagi261@...

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2012
        Mike - this is part of what we do anyway - Every one of our 16 traditional districts holds at least one Cub Scout leader training in September or October, and many of our non-geographic districts do as well. Then, at least every month between November and June, at *least* one district offers additional classroom training opportunities. These are in addition to the sessions at both semesters (Fall and Spring) of the University of Scouting.

        Free we can't seem to manage, but most courses are $15 or less, depending on location.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • E Hebenthal
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2012
          All our Basic Leader Training in our Council is free. We do charge for BALOO, OWLS, IOLS, and obviously Univerity of Scouting. We offer no meals at BLT so Scoutmasters and Venturing Leaders take a break for participants to go buy lunch. We do offer coffee and I usually bake lemon poppy seed bread so there is something in case a participant couldn't manaage breakfast.

          We try to have it in late September or early October on a Saturday. Then we try to offer 2 nights in November. Our Univesity of Scouting is in January and we offer all the position specific courses there then have another Saturday in the Spring. I think last year we actually had two Saturdays in the fall plus the two nights. This year even though I'm District Training Chair I had no input about the dates for training; I certainly hope that doesn't happen again next year.

          I am all for having training as early in the fall as possible.

          Thanks,
          Elaine H.