Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 2636 facebook post

  • Mark Liechty
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
      On Jan 4, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Mike Clark wrote:
      > As one of the Pilot councils for Required/Mandatory training, Cub Scout leaders are the hardest group to have trained especially with the leader specific training online. Very few Cub Scout Leaders feel they need training or discuss they need until the following:
      >

      > a. registration &/or recharter is denied due to untrained leaders, primarily untrained Cubmasters at this point;
      >
      > b. untrained leaders pertaining to outdoor activites and Tour Plans denied because no one in the Pack bothers to complete BALOO, WLOT or even IOLS.
      > ########

      Mike:
      I am with you that there are challenges and I, like many, struggle to find an answer to the problems. There are two key challenges here that you bring up.

      As to the process for outings:
      The value of the Tour permit system took a major hit with our Unit last month. We have a new Activities Chairman in our Troop who, as part of this job, send in Tour permits. He sent in two on the same day. One was denied (after the trip was completed) for his failure to check the Weather training. The other for a failure to check YPT even though there were three registered leaders on the trip who HAD to have YPT.

      He fixed the one for the outing that has not taken place (council did not want re-submit of completed trip) on his lunch hour after I spent 20 min on the phone with council trying to understand the problem. Nice lady at council but it is not her job to help or deal with minor issues. She is not paid to care about anything other than if the box is checked if not the form is denied.

      Seems that by 2012 if BSA cared even a little bit about quality in the IT systems these issues would have been resolved. instead the lesson to the new leader is to be more careful in checking the boxes, not trust BSA at all and most of all understand by the entire unit that this process is a waste of time with zero real value.

      The Cub training problem is a bigger challenge:
      How many of the trainers in your council are ACTIVE Cub Scout leaders? I have seen many sessions where great people who care a LOT about the program end up "Training" in sessions that they really should be doing. Maybe they WERE great cub leaders 5-10-20 years ago but they cannot speak the language of a 2011-2012 new parent\cub leader and understand what appeals to those kids TODAY.

      As long as BSA refuses to provide testing for both the trainers and the students these problems will continue. I think a better solution would be to have the training requirements set so a person delivering the class HAS to have RECENT experience in the position. Yes, this is going to upset some people who have not seen a real Scout outside of a powerpoint slide deck in years but maybe that is a good motivation to get those folks back to helping real kids at the unit level and out of the meeting and "training" mode.

      Possible Solution (works for both Cubs and Scouts):
      I think it would be great to get a profile of each of the "students" before the class starts. (Profession, Hobbies, Scouting Experience) And then recruit the students when it makes sense to become the instructors. Example: My next IOLS class includes a "student" who is a professional firefighter. He is a paramedic. Part of his job requires him to have 48 hours of First Aid continuing education every other or .... well they stop PAYING him and he can be homeless. It is silly for me to try to teach T-2-1 first aid to a group of volunteers when I have him in the room. If he is not there then i can and do teach that module very well but why in Gods name would I not reach out and use the best available resource?

      Oh yeah, the firefighter in question is also my troops new Scoutmaster. He got "Assigned" first Aid while we were talking about how silly it was that he had to listen to me tell him about his job. On a clear night in Death Valley the answer came to me. he is right, it is silly. So he can teach the module. He actually LIKED the idea.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
          I would be interested in more details about the free training for new leaders in the fall. How many are held during those two months? Or are you saying they are held during the school nights? How would that work?

        Also unless things have changed the Pack Trainer is not a mandaotry position is it? So if you have someone who is just a warm body in the position, find someone else and see if there is a better fit elsewhere for the nominally committed PT......

        Connie

        c.  the perceived failure of the Pack Trainer position to ensure/promote training at the Pack level.  Yes, Some Pack Trainer do a great job, but most are there simply to fill the necessary position for the Pack Charter.

        My last comment:  How many Districts or even Councils represented on this

        group offer FREE, COMPLIMENTARY Cub Scout Leader Specific training during September & October at the Community/District/Council level as part of the Pack School nite/open house programs?    That is, training specified to new Cubmaster, Tiger Den, Wolf & Bear Den and Webelos Den Leaders who "volunteer"/"have their arm twisted" at the first Fall Pack meeting.

      • E Hebenthal
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
          I like new ideas, but I'm confused. I'm tryin to figure out how you'd offer training at a Pack School night when you're recruiting the parents and kids, trying to basically acquaint them with the program, and get them signed up. What am I missing?

          Thanks,
          Elaine H.