Re: BSA Training Facebook Post

  • Herb
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
      Don
      unclear who the study participants were. However youth are more receptive to online education as long as there is lots of interaction . There is a commercial for Microsoft right now where the kid animates the dad spread sheets. Pretty telling, though when an OA member makes a powerpoint for me it tends to be very basic. The do you best thing seems to get dropped by the wayside.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:

      > Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
      > Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
      > fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
      > (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
      > percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
      > not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
      > Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
      > comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
      > informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
      > Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
      > content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
      > is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
      > access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
      > also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
      > ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
      > we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
      > Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
      > value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."
      >
      > My three cents (inflation).
      >
      > Don Wilson
      > OHC 427
      >
      > > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
      > > Herb D
      > >

      > > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
      > > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."
      > >

      > Don Wilson
      >
      > www.rigidflexibility.com

    • Michelle Gee
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
        The BSA not only post on Facebook – in fact, Facebook is the last place they post. The “trained” post on Facebook went out first to every employee of the BSA via e-mail, and through the Area Director newsletter. Then Facebook. The Training Times article was out before all that and says essentially the same thing.

        MG
        Edmond OK

        On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:45 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

        > Don
        > unclear who the study participants were. However youth are more receptive to online education as long as there is lots of interaction . There is a commercial for Microsoft right now where the kid animates the dad spread sheets. Pretty telling, though when an OA member makes a powerpoint for me it tends to be very basic. The do you best thing seems to get dropped by the wayside.

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
        > > Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
        > > fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
        > > (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
        > > percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
        > > not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
        > > Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
        > > comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
        > > informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
        > > Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
        > > content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
        > > is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
        > > access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
        > > also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
        > > ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
        > > we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
        > > Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
        > > value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."
        > >
        > > My three cents (inflation).
        > >
        > > Don Wilson
        > > OHC 427
        > >
        > > > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
        > > > Herb D
        > > >

        > > > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
        > > > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."
        > > >

        > > Don Wilson
        > >
        > > www.rigidflexibility.com

      • E Hebenthal
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2012
          One thing I've seen about having more online training and less instructor training at the Cub Scout level is less participation by Cub Scout Leaders at a District and Council level. There are less Cub Scout Leaders at Roundtable and less leaders available to help with events. I haven't the slightest idea what to do about it.

          Thanks,
          Elaine H.

          Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
          Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
          fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
          (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
          percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
          not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
          Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
          comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
          informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
          Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
          content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
          is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
          access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
          also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
          ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
          we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
          Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
          value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."

          My three cents (inflation).

          Don Wilson
          OHC 427

          > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
          > Herb D
          >

          > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
          > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."

          Don Wilson

          www.rigidflexibility.com

        • WEBELOS
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
            Perhaps it is not the electronic training. Our last Cub Scout roundtable on
            January 5, had over 125 Cub Scouters. Our attendance at roundtable
            fluctuates from 80's into the 110's on a regular basis and as you can see we
            surpassed that this month. We also typically have more Cub Scouters at our
            district trainings than any other families of Scouting. We have had from
            10-70 at Leader Specific and offer it four times a year and charge $5. We
            have found that most prefer live training to online because they can ask
            questions and get immediate feedback.

            Happy Cubbing,
            Michelle E.

            Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
            Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
            fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
            (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
            percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
            not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
            Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
            comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
            informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
            Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
            content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
            is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
            access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
            also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
            ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
            we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
            Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
            value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."

            My three cents (inflation).

            Don Wilson
            OHC 427

            > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
            > Herb D
            >

            > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better
            > through an active, iterative process that involves working through their
            > misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from
            > the instructor."
            > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular
            > advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is
            > done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage
            > over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the
            > only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by
            > traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in
            > learning."

            Don Wilson

            www.rigidflexibility.com