Re: [Scouter_T] BSA Training Facebook Post

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
      Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
      Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
      fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
      (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
      percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
      not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
      Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
      comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
      informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
      Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
      content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
      is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
      access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
      also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
      ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
      we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
      Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
      value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."

      My three cents (inflation).

      Don Wilson
      OHC 427

      > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
      > Herb D
      >

      > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
      > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."

      Don Wilson

      www.rigidflexibility.com
    • Herb
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
        Don
        unclear who the study participants were. However youth are more receptive to online education as long as there is lots of interaction . There is a commercial for Microsoft right now where the kid animates the dad spread sheets. Pretty telling, though when an OA member makes a powerpoint for me it tends to be very basic. The do you best thing seems to get dropped by the wayside.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:

        > Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
        > Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
        > fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
        > (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
        > percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
        > not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
        > Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
        > comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
        > informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
        > Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
        > content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
        > is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
        > access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
        > also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
        > ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
        > we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
        > Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
        > value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."
        >
        > My three cents (inflation).
        >
        > Don Wilson
        > OHC 427
        >
        > > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
        > > Herb D
        > >

        > > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
        > > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."
        > >

        > Don Wilson
        >
        > www.rigidflexibility.com

      • Michelle Gee
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
          The BSA not only post on Facebook – in fact, Facebook is the last place they post. The “trained” post on Facebook went out first to every employee of the BSA via e-mail, and through the Area Director newsletter. Then Facebook. The Training Times article was out before all that and says essentially the same thing.

          MG
          Edmond OK

          On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:45 PM, "Herb" <hadulzo@...> wrote:

          > Don
          > unclear who the study participants were. However youth are more receptive to online education as long as there is lots of interaction . There is a commercial for Microsoft right now where the kid animates the dad spread sheets. Pretty telling, though when an OA member makes a powerpoint for me it tends to be very basic. The do you best thing seems to get dropped by the wayside.

          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
          > > Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
          > > fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
          > > (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
          > > percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
          > > not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
          > > Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
          > > comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
          > > informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
          > > Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
          > > content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
          > > is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
          > > access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
          > > also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
          > > ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
          > > we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
          > > Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
          > > value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."
          > >
          > > My three cents (inflation).
          > >
          > > Don Wilson
          > > OHC 427
          > >
          > > > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
          > > > Herb D
          > > >

          > > > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
          > > > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."
          > > >

          > > Don Wilson
          > >
          > > www.rigidflexibility.com

        • E Hebenthal
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2012
            One thing I've seen about having more online training and less instructor training at the Cub Scout level is less participation by Cub Scout Leaders at a District and Council level. There are less Cub Scout Leaders at Roundtable and less leaders available to help with events. I haven't the slightest idea what to do about it.

            Thanks,
            Elaine H.

            Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
            Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
            fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
            (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
            percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
            not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
            Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
            comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
            informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
            Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
            content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
            is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
            access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
            also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
            ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
            we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
            Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
            value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."

            My three cents (inflation).

            Don Wilson
            OHC 427

            > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
            > Herb D
            >

            > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better through an active, iterative process that involves working through their misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from the instructor."
            > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in learning."

            Don Wilson

            www.rigidflexibility.com

          • WEBELOS
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
              Perhaps it is not the electronic training. Our last Cub Scout roundtable on
              January 5, had over 125 Cub Scouters. Our attendance at roundtable
              fluctuates from 80's into the 110's on a regular basis and as you can see we
              surpassed that this month. We also typically have more Cub Scouters at our
              district trainings than any other families of Scouting. We have had from
              10-70 at Leader Specific and offer it four times a year and charge $5. We
              have found that most prefer live training to online because they can ask
              questions and get immediate feedback.

              Happy Cubbing,
              Michelle E.

              Ludicrous? Absolutely, however perhaps not first for the content. If the
              Fall 2011 issue of "The Training Times" is completely reviewed, BSA
              fully admits that universal access has not been reached. In the article
              (Technology in Scouting: Are We As Connected As We Think?) "...34
              percent of urban, and just under half (49 percent) of rural households did
              not have broadband access in 2009. That was a huge decease over the 2000
              Census but broadband is not as widespread as most of us think." One
              comment on the "Trained or Trained" that BSA had posted better
              informaito0jn on Facebook. I would suggest that posting anything on
              Facebook and considerating that sufficient is the ludicrous.Addressing the
              content of the post, are the students identified supposed to be youth? BSA
              is seeing face to face instruction being eliminated where the "student" can
              access e-learning. Also that by eliminating face to face training, we are
              also eliminating training opportunities for many volunteers. The article
              ends with "Regardless of where we may be headed, in today's environment
              we cannot forget the Scouters and Scouts who need face-to-face training.
              Nor can we forger -- even if we do have universal access someday -- the
              value of interactive instructor-led, Scouting training."

              My three cents (inflation).

              Don Wilson
              OHC 427

              > Who thinks its ludicrous for the BSA to post this on their Facebook page?
              > Herb D
              >

              > Science Magazine 2011 - "A new study shows that students learn much better
              > through an active, iterative process that involves working through their
              > misconceptions with fellow students and getting immediate feedback from
              > the instructor."
              > Principles of Scoutmastership 1929 - "You Scoutmasters have a particular
              > advantage over school teachers. The learning of the boys in your Troops is
              > done through activity. So you men have the greatest possible advantage
              > over us pedagogues in that you are teaching through activity which is the
              > only way learning is acquired. We in the school are hemmed in by
              > traditions that are still going through motions that do not result in
              > learning."

              Don Wilson

              www.rigidflexibility.com