Re: Youth Protection for Venture Crew Members 18 and Over

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
      Hi Elaine -

      They are youth until they turn 21, so they do not need to take the Adult YPT training (as long as they are registered in Venturing).

      They have a training program of their own "Personal Safety Awareness."

      http://scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/Venturing.aspx

      YiV,
      Ron Blaisdell
      ACC, CFC and GSTC

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, E Hebenthal <ehebenthal@...> wrote:

      > Are Venture crew members who are 18 and older required to take the same youth protection training as adult leaders or is there special youth protection training for them? Can anyone point me to an official source for an answer to this question?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Elaine H.

    • SCOTT ELIASON
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
        Paul, and others:

        For youth members, Michael is absolutely correct. This is NOT Y02 at all, but equivilent to the youth protection programs for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Y02 is for those in Venturing that are 21 and over. However, any Venturers (Under 21, but over 18) who are also adult leaders in a Boy Scout troop or Cub Scout pack, need to take Youth Protection Y01 in addition, to be qualified for those positions.

        Scott Eliason, Aquila District Training, Chief Seattle Council

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "SCOTT ELIASON" <sreliason@...> wrote:

          > Paul, and others:
          >
          > For youth members, Michael is absolutely correct. This is NOT Y02 at
          all, but equivilent to the youth protection programs for Boy Scouts and
          Cub Scouts. Y02 is for those in Venturing that are 21 and over. However,
          any Venturers (Under 21, but over 18) who are also adult leaders in a
          Boy Scout troop or Cub Scout pack, need to take Youth Protection Y01 in
          addition, to be qualified for those positions.

          > Scott Eliason, Aquila District Training, Chief Seattle Council

          Thank you for that clarification.

          Paul Y
          District Advancement & Recognition Chair
          Thunderbird District
          Inland Northwest Council
          Spokane WA
          "Once a Fox, always a fox"
        • Lucinda Lentz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
            The staff of our resident camp have to take the YPT for Venturing because
            we have some female staff, and a week of camp that has a High Adventure for
            Venture crews. And the staff trained include CIT's so they can be young
            people down to 14.

            Lucinda

          • A. Dukovic
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
              Yes all, the "adult" version of YPT as well as the Venturing YPT is what is required and what I present to all my NYLT staff, youth and adult, so we're all on the same page for course.

              As with any "adult" training, the YPT training just needs to be explained to your youth, when the need arises, to explain why "two-deep" is important, etc. as they've been exposed to it, but never knew it was there.  I've never had an issue with "too much" YPT vs "too little" and once the youth get it, they understand fully.

              - Art

            • gerrymoon32817
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                Um, that's five not four.