Youth Protection for Venture Crew Members 18 and Over

  • E Hebenthal
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
      Are Venture crew members who are 18 and older required to take the same youth protection training as adult leaders or is there special youth protection training for them? Can anyone point me to an official source for an answer to this question?

      Thanks,
      Elaine H.

    • MichaelB
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, E Hebenthal <ehebenthal@...> wrote:

        > Are Venture crew members who are 18 and older required to take the same youth protection training as adult leaders or is there special youth protection training for them? Can anyone point me to an official source for an answer to this question?

        There is YPT training for ALL VenturING Crew youth members (Venturers).

        It's called "Personal Safety Awareness" and was updated in 2007. The training is not scouting specific, so can be shown to any high school/college age youth.

        It has 4 segments: acquaintance rape, peer sexual harassment, stalking, suicide and Internet safety.

        Michael Brown
      • Ron
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
          Hi Elaine -

          They are youth until they turn 21, so they do not need to take the Adult YPT training (as long as they are registered in Venturing).

          They have a training program of their own "Personal Safety Awareness."

          http://scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/Venturing.aspx

          YiV,
          Ron Blaisdell
          ACC, CFC and GSTC

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, E Hebenthal <ehebenthal@...> wrote:

          > Are Venture crew members who are 18 and older required to take the same youth protection training as adult leaders or is there special youth protection training for them? Can anyone point me to an official source for an answer to this question?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Elaine H.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelB" <emb021@...> wrote:

            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, E Hebenthal ehebenthal@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Are Venture crew members who are 18 and older required to take the
            same youth protection training as adult leaders or is there special
            youth protection training for them? Can anyone point me to an official
            source for an answer to this question?

            > There is YPT training for ALL VenturING Crew youth members
            (Venturers).

            > It's called "Personal Safety Awareness" and was updated in 2007. The
            training is not scouting specific, so can be shown to any high
            school/college age youth.

            > It has 4 segments: acquaintance rape, peer sexual harassment,
            stalking, suicide and Internet safety.

            > Michael Brown

            As the person who approves merit badge counselors, the above reference
            YPT (which is coded Y02) is not approved for non-Venturing positions.
            So when I receive a merit badge counselor application, I have to check
            for Y01. If they have not taken Y01 in the last two years, I advise them
            accordingly.

            Paul Y
            District Advancement & Recognition Chair
            Thunderbird District
            Inland Northwest Council
            Spokane WA
            "Once a Fox, always a fox"

          • SCOTT ELIASON
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
              Paul, and others:

              For youth members, Michael is absolutely correct. This is NOT Y02 at all, but equivilent to the youth protection programs for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Y02 is for those in Venturing that are 21 and over. However, any Venturers (Under 21, but over 18) who are also adult leaders in a Boy Scout troop or Cub Scout pack, need to take Youth Protection Y01 in addition, to be qualified for those positions.

              Scott Eliason, Aquila District Training, Chief Seattle Council

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "SCOTT ELIASON" <sreliason@...> wrote:

                > Paul, and others:
                >
                > For youth members, Michael is absolutely correct. This is NOT Y02 at
                all, but equivilent to the youth protection programs for Boy Scouts and
                Cub Scouts. Y02 is for those in Venturing that are 21 and over. However,
                any Venturers (Under 21, but over 18) who are also adult leaders in a
                Boy Scout troop or Cub Scout pack, need to take Youth Protection Y01 in
                addition, to be qualified for those positions.

                > Scott Eliason, Aquila District Training, Chief Seattle Council

                Thank you for that clarification.

                Paul Y
                District Advancement & Recognition Chair
                Thunderbird District
                Inland Northwest Council
                Spokane WA
                "Once a Fox, always a fox"
              • Lucinda Lentz
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                  The staff of our resident camp have to take the YPT for Venturing because
                  we have some female staff, and a week of camp that has a High Adventure for
                  Venture crews. And the staff trained include CIT's so they can be young
                  people down to 14.

                  Lucinda

                • A. Dukovic
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                    Yes all, the "adult" version of YPT as well as the Venturing YPT is what is required and what I present to all my NYLT staff, youth and adult, so we're all on the same page for course.

                    As with any "adult" training, the YPT training just needs to be explained to your youth, when the need arises, to explain why "two-deep" is important, etc. as they've been exposed to it, but never knew it was there.  I've never had an issue with "too much" YPT vs "too little" and once the youth get it, they understand fully.

                    - Art

                  • gerrymoon32817
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 14, 2011
                      Um, that's five not four.