Re: [Scouter_T] Re: New Class - Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops (ILST)

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
      This sounds like great stuff! Could someone please send me the links
      to this info, thanks.
      Yours in Service to Scouting,
      -- Jim

      On Dec 8, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Mike B. wrote:

      > I looked here for any updates since my SPL and I are getting ready
      > for our next TLT session, and look what I found!
      >
      > Your slides are great!
      > I really like you format/color/design scheme better than the TLT
      > training presentation; it is much more legible.
      >
      > Thanks you very much for taking the time to update this often over-
      > looked piece of Scout Training.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Michael Brown
      > Scoutmaster, Troop 84
      > San Ramon, CA
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, The Rooneys <rooney-family@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Fellow Trainers!
      > >
      > > BSA over the summer announced the Boy Scout companion course,
      > "Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops" (ILST) which replaces
      > TLT/JLT, to the similar VLSC replacement, "Introduction to
      > Leadership Skills for Crews" (ILSC). Given the lack of suitable
      > materials on the Net and in the interest of jump starting the
      > adoption of this fine new class, I have created a PowerPoint for the
      > class and posted it to a new "ILST" folder on the Scouter_T Files
      > section.
      > >
      > > I've also posted a copy of the BSA syllabus to the ILST course,
      > which I modified by adding the missing bookmarks to make the PDF
      > navigation easier.
      > >
      > > I hope through dialogue and collaboration we can rapidly improve
      > the ILST presentation and make it useful to the scout troops in our
      > councils.
      > >
      > > Yours in Scouting,
      > >

      > > ---
      > > Jim Rooney
      > > Training Chair, Pioneer Trails District, Denver Area Council
      > > (I used to be a Bobwhite..., and a Good Ol' Staffer too)

    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/ILST%20FINALS%202011%20-%20Item%20Number%20511-016.pdf

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

        ________________________________
        This sounds like great stuff! Could someone please send me the links
        to this info, thanks.
        Yours in Service to Scouting,
        -- Jim

        On Dec 8, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Mike B. wrote:

        > I looked here for any updates since my SPL and I are getting ready
        > for our next TLT session, and look what I found!
        >
        > Your slides are great!
        > I really like you format/color/design scheme better than the TLT
        > training presentation; it is much more legible.
        >
        > Thanks you very much for taking the time to update this often over-
        > looked piece of Scout Training.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Michael Brown
        > Scoutmaster, Troop 84
        > San Ramon, CA
        >
        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, The Rooneys <rooney-family@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Fellow Trainers!
        > >
        > > BSA over the summer announced the Boy Scout companion course,
        > "Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops" (ILST) which replaces
        > TLT/JLT, to the similar VLSC replacement, "Introduction to
        > Leadership Skills for Crews" (ILSC). Given the lack of suitable
        > materials on the Net and in the interest of jump starting the
        > adoption of this fine new class, I have created a PowerPoint for the
        > class and posted it to a new "ILST" folder on the Scouter_T Files
        > section.
        > >
        > > I've also posted a copy of the BSA syllabus to the ILST course,
        > which I modified by adding the missing bookmarks to make the PDF
        > navigation easier.
        > >
        > > I hope through dialogue and collaboration we can rapidly improve
        > the ILST presentation and make it useful to the scout troops in our
        > councils.
        > >
        > > Yours in Scouting,
        > >

        > > ---
        > > Jim Rooney
        > > Training Chair, Pioneer Trails District, Denver Area Council
        > > (I used to be a Bobwhite..., and a Good Ol' Staffer too)

      • The Rooneys
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011
          Some feedback on the ILST class (with v1 of the ILST PowerPoint slides in the Files/ILST folder of this group - and yes, I'm working on v2 now...):

          • I * LIKE * the ILST program much better than TLT. Why? It's more interactive, more collaborative and reinforces well the material through games and reflection.
          • Your (youth) staff will need time to prepare. (Our troop delivers TLT entirely by our senior youth leadership, with adults advising only.) Plan on at least 2 prep sessions:

          1. Staff-D Session 1:

          • Review the ILST curriculum (see download link below or click here for Scouting.org link )
          • Review module teaching assignments, including slides, games, reflection activities and key teaching points
          • Assemble a list of equipment and supplies needed
          2.
          Staff-D Session 2:

          • Quick walkthrough of each module by the lead instructor.
          • Ensure everyone is clear on games and reflection activities
          • Make sure that the supplies and equipment list is adequate

          Each module of ILST consists of four (4) elements. Each element supports the central theme and teaching points of the module. DON'T skip elements just because they are new and you/your staff is unfamiliar with them:

          1. Topic Teaching Slides - he usual "death by PowerPoint" slides
          2. Game - One or two games designed to reinforce the central points of the topic
          3. Reflection - an opportunity to solicit feedback from the scouts and get them to internalize the topic. This is a KEY aspect of the new BSA teaching continuum and one that is very much needed in our busy, busy, no time for anything world. Teaching our scouts to reflect on things is an important skill.
          4. Key Teaching Points - a final closing element to wrap up the presentation and reinforce the topics. Note that by the time scouts reach this point in the topic, they have heard, experienced (through games), and restated (through reflection) the "teaching points" 6-7 times at least. This provides a really solid foundation for learning.

          We did ILST as part of a Friday night, Saturday morning troop leadership retreat. The planning module (held on Friday) really helped set up the troop calendar planning (on Sat morning) for success. Here was our schedule:

          • Friday Night (6pm start)

          • ILST - 3-1/2 hours
          • Movie: "Remember the Titans" - a good movie on team building, stages of team development and leadership performance. (It helps that I attended a rival HS to T.C. Williams (in the movie) and can relate to the events better.) :-)) (Go Federals!)

          Saturday Morning

          • Breakfast (adults brought in)
          • Troop planing

          Remember to hold an "after action" review with your youth staff afterwards. This is a learning opportunity for them as well.

          ---

        • pehoneycutt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2012
            Hi Jim,

            This is Paul Honeycutt, Scoutmaster of Troop 616 in the San Diego Imperial Council. My Council Training Chair has asked me to check with you if we could get your permission to use the PowerPoint presentation that you have so deftly created.

            Thanks,

            Paul